Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

LCD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2009, 4:01 pm

I've recently been exposed to observations by people, perhaps popularity. And by observing their behaviour it seems either to be anger or non-acceptance. Or even confusion that my appearance or behaviour isn't accepted amongst the NT world.
Due to financial difficulties I've had to exchange my usual method of transport 'motorbike' to non conventional means 'bicycle'. And I get that inner feeling triggered after by a surge of confusion that riding a bycle isn't accepted. Purely becuase it perhaps reflects to the small minded NT individual that 'that' guy riding the bike has a smaller income than me, and therefore I should look down on that man.
The more I ride my bycycle the more observations I get, usually personal interrogation which I DO NOT LIKE! What is it with my method of transport that receives the attention?

And if it is not accepted, why? And what triggers them to stare at me? It raises the level of NT imaturity to HIGH, and the intelligence of their behaviour 'LOW'. Almost a repeat occurance of school days where the trend of material objects was in the high.
NT's are more mammal like than I had earlier realised, and the similar trend of people's behavour is more wide spread than I had thought.
Okay, I'm riding a bike, big deal. But what is wrong with that? And what should I be doing?
The negative attention I receive in phenomenol, and it deeply annoys me since I'm unable to understand why.

madmike
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2009, 4:16 pm

I used to ride my bike to work. When i met my manager one night after my shift as i was unlocking it, she met my eyes with, it seemed, a glance of pity, as she said Goodbye. It annoyed me slightly at the time, but now I just laugh about it. It makes me realize how stupid people can be about certain things, because i wouldn't have given up my bikeriding to work for anything. It was often the highlight of the day :lol:

darcelle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2009, 4:49 pm

I love riding my bike around the city and have never been aware of a sence of pity from others. Your doing a good thing for your health, the environment, your bank account and often reducing your amount of time commuting (its so satisfying to overtake the rush hour traffic!). Good on you for cycling! Don't be put off by the jelous (yes, jelous!) car drivers who are taxing, insuring, polluting and not burning calories, just for the warmth and privalidge of owning a car :)

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 5:03 pm

In The Netherlands biking to work is generally accepted; so the social stigma is unknown to me.
There can be some questions, but most of the times those are about the distance, relatively innocent.

It is a healthy and cheap way of transport, and relatively flexible.

One thing that I could think of is the appearance of your bike. It must look decent of course, it cannot be a bike with flags on it or an trodden down bike. A classic model (citybike) is preferred for work in NL. And you have to keep your bike clean. It is the same as with a car, it can be a first impression.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2009, 5:31 pm

It will depend on the community as to how your are accepted as a bicyclist. It helps if your community is a Bicycle Friendly Community since that shows that there is at least some level of public awareness towards bicyclists. Many people don't realize that Bikes belong along side other conventional forms of transportation. You might drop an email to your local City Council members, or whomever to find out why your community is not bicycle friendly.

Secondly, watch how you ride your bike. Are you interfering with traffic? Be a polite rider. One of the biggest complaints that we hear from drivers is "bicyclists act like they own the road." (As a matter of fact, I am a taxpayer and so I own the road, just as they do.) Fortunately in my area we have many bike trails available so I don't have to be on the street very much.

Also, check out how your bike looks to others. Is it the bike your parent got you when you were in grade school? If you are much larger than you were when you got the bike then it is probably time for a new bike. (Yes, I know that expenses are a factor to you.) How are you dressed when you ride? A guy wearing a business suit while riding a racing bike looks silly and people will stare.

Biking is great exercise and gives me a chance to unwind and think. As long as the roads are not snowpacked I much prefer to bicycle. Unless I have to go shopping - there are only so many groceries that I can comfortably carry on my bike.

Don't be too concerned about what people think, or that they look down on you from their expensive vehicles. You will have the environmentalists and the pro-fitness people on your side.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 6:28 pm

I wish more people would use transportation which does not contribute to pollution and global warming. I wonder if some of the reactions you get are from people who feel (subconsciously?) guilty for not doing as much as you for the environment. I used to commute by bicycle. Now that I am in my 50's I do not. I still have my faithful 12 speed, but seldom use it. I recently needed to do an errand when my wife had the car and ended up walking. I had forgotten how wonderful the experience can be. I plan to do a lot more walking and bicycling from now on.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:19 am

love riding my bike around the city and

ditto so much so I used to work as a cycle courier so much fun, they where the best days of my life, till I had the accident (severe head injury)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 1:16 am

People stare at me, because I'm beautiful, and I look like one of The Kinks.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 11:35 am

People might stare at me when I am the 34-year-old "woman" with her forehead up to the glass of the crane machine.... :wink:
But I have no idea what they are thinking...

It might be only your perception that they are staring at you on your bike...or maybe they are staring at you out of envy....

I don't drive a car and my bike is my main means of transportation..
I am proud of it for all reasons listed above.

My good ASish friend has a license, but does not own a car, and has practically has a meltdown every time he is behind the wheel of one...(I own a car in name only and my main partner uses it, but we sometimes borrow it to do my friend's recycling)

Anywhooo....
He looks striking on his bike as he always rides around like he is ready for combat in his helmet and army jacket and big backpack....(his major obsession is army surplus)

Riding a bike is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 12:01 pm

I ride a bike sometimes tog et to work when I cannot get a ride. I don't have a driver's license yet.

I've never noticed any stares, but then again, alot of people ride bikes in this city. It isn't particularly bike-friendly here, but alot of people are just too poor to own cars, or just cannot drive a car.

It's a great workout!

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 12:21 pm

I really think they probably do not think of you as poor for riding a bicycle. When I've gone online to talk about my own bike (which is now a hobby since I've got a car--I almost never go more than three miles on it), the people seem to be mostly college students (technically low-income but not low socioeconomic status) or middle and some upper class people who simply prefer bikes because they are good exercise, ecologically friendly, and fun. The lower-income people who ride bicycles tend to be students.

People probably look at you because it is relatively unusual to see someone on a bicycle, and people are drawn to unusual things. It is the same as if you had painted your motorbike bright green; it is unusual and people tend to look at those things that they don't see all the time. Plus, they have got to be aware of where you are so that if they are in a car or on another bike they can pass you safely.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com