Dogs, cats and other pets and animals

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 5:46 pm

Animalistic behaviour topic

My dog Sam (who has cancer) is resting at a relative's because he cannot climb the stairs to go out at my place right now. I see him on weekends. :)

I have Woody right now (10.5 year old cat) because the Lab at my ex-husband's place is allergic to him. Both pets are fine apart. I now have Woody permanently and I hope to get Sam back in the spring when he is stronger.

Woody loves to play cat hockey. I make a piece of his kibble zoom across the floor and he chases it and then eats it. Sometimes he catches it while he crouches. The pupils in his cat eyes get really big when he concentrates on catching the piece of kibble with his front paws. He is an orange and white tabby.

Dogs need a lot of walks as they are very social, yet Sam does not like other dogs! He seems to think he is the only dog in the world who has the right to walk around the neighbourhood. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2009, 6:36 pm

Greentea wrote:
mozes, Bjarne is amazing how he understands you when you speak. I could see it in his eyes in the video. Even though he chose to do something else from what you asked him, LOL

Yeah, that's information as well. He's marking his territory. And that's more important than what I say to him. :D

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 6:53 pm

I have children but they are grown and I can't have anymore so my pets have become my new children and I think that for the most past they are almost as intelligent as humans. My aussie is probably smarter than I am. I kid her about being as smart as Lassie which in a way is an insult but that another story. I will post some pictures of my kids later.
I relate to animals about 1000% better than I do with humans as some of you may appreciate.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:13 pm

My Doodle is very smart too. He is young (1 year) and we've only had him for 6 months but he already knows some words like dinner, breakfast, go for a walk. He will perk up and start listening if you say 'Do you want..' because he thinks something good might come next.

He learned his tricks in 3-4 10 minute sessions each and now does about 5 tricks using either words or handsignals. He's such a cutie and he's very hyper! He runs so fast and he's so small he can get anywhere. If he doesn't want to get caught, you won't catch him haha!

If I sit in my desk chair and stick one foot out, he starts attacking the foot and it causes me to spin so he will chase it around in circles growling and attacking my foot and spinning me around. It's fun! But he bruises my foot lol.

Greentea, did you see my puppy's picture?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:17 pm

Awwww I'm loving the stories soooo much!

mitharatowen, yes, I saw it before, adorable! and I've the perfect match for him. They're my favorite breed, by the way.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:19 pm

Here's the link ! !!

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:22 pm

Oh my god! It's tiny!! ! How cute!! ! hahahahaha :lol:

There's this little girl dog in my apartment complex that is like a tiny longhaired chihuahua and she is so adorable. Everytime she walks by, Doodle stares out the window at her so we say that she is his girlfriend :lol:

Too bad he is neutered. I bet he'd have some adorable puppies!!

Sorry, I didn't know you had seen it before. I need more pictures of my boy. :lol:

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 7:59 pm

Here's my Ellie dog. She is an Austrailian Shepard and I drove a 1000 miles one way to get her. She's way smarter than Lassie. My wife and I planned to make the trip a 'special' one if you know what I mean and we booked a nice room in a swank hotel and paid extra to have the puppy in the room. Ended up the dog had to sleep with me otherwise she whelped continuously and the clerks wanted to throw us out of the place. At 2AM she peed in the bed and started crying so we hit the road as they say. So much for a romantic weekend.
That's Ellie on the left and my wife Bev on the right just in case anybody wanted to know.

Yocritier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2009, 8:39 pm

I love cats, and have been living with 2 of them for the past 9 years. One cat died last June, and I felt a part of me die with it.

The second cat is still with us, he is more vocal than my AS son! Which is why the wife dislikes it 8)

Cats are not very sociable, so when they do come over and sit on your lap, you know its pretty genuine they like your company.

It feels like heaven.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2009, 9:13 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I have a problem with my wife's 7 Kg terrier dog, if I mention the word "walk" he gets excited and thinks it is time for me to walk him. Also if I mention any related words or phrases.

such as

"Around the block"
"Constitutional"

I am in an "arms race" with the dog, I have to keep thinking of new expressions which mean going for a walk which my wife can understand but the dog can not. But he quickly learns what the new phrases are. Each time the dog hears a phrase which might mean anything to do with walking he gets excited and demands his walk.

My dog is like that too. We spell things so she doesn't get it, like you'd do with a little kid.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:15 pm

My dog has learned how to spell so we can't trick her anymore.

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2009, 9:17 pm

garyww wrote:
My dog has learned how to spell so we can't trick her anymore.

Oh jeez, hahahaha! I'm not surprised!

My dog figured out how to get into the garbage can. It's one of those tall ones that you need to step on the pedal to open the lid (metal, not plastic). She's a 15 lb. miniature schnauzer and she manages to step on the pedal and stick her head in the trash! We got it so she wouldn't get into the garbage but she studied us using it and now she knows too.

moonlightwhisp
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm

We just got a kitten in November and I'm pretty sure I've never loved anything as much as I love that little guy. It's funny because sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night because I get that weird feeling when someone or something is staring at you, I'll open my eyes and he's right there in my face watching me sleep. At that point, he usually pounces my face and licks my nose. :lol:

^That's Leonidas. :D

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:57 pm

garyww wrote:
Ellie on the left and my wife Bev on the right

You thought we might think it was the other way round? :lol: :lol:

And why did she pee in the hotel bed and cry?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 12:01 am

Greentea wrote:
Awwwww sgrannel, so cute! Is it yours? And does he like to be stroked?

Yes, this is my bird. It's a girl. People mistakenly think it's a boy because apparently the name Kirby is mostly masculine, but it's also used for females and I have met people named Kirby. The boy birds of this species have bright red-orange on the front, hence the name red belly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS36pZq236Y&feature=PlayList&p=DB1CD2838CBC7224&index=3[/youtube]

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 12:12 am

he's beautiful! Yours too? And what was he saying at the beginning? It sounded to me like "Pancho!" (Spanish nick for Francisco)