Career in medicine at all possible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DrPhil92
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2009, 8:59 pm

Hello
I am a junior in high school, and I have been forever interested in a possible career in the medical field, at many times considered medical school. Though i was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome at a young age, I recently visited a psychiatrist who stated he saw no evidence of me having Aspergers Syndrome until i pointed it out to him.
I am curious as to whether a career in the medical field is a poor career choice for someone who suffers from Aspergers Syndrome, as people with this "disorder" may have trouble detecting emotion or sharing empathy, as this may hinder in this hypothetical setting. Is applying to medical school a definite no-no for people with aspergers, and can they potentially be successful doctors?
Thanks for any feedback

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:02 pm

...Hnmm .

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

The single-minded dedication Aspies often have can serve well in medical school. I'm sure there are a number of successful Aspie doctors. Do what you find interesting.

Chuck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:30 am

I am a pharmacist with Asperger's. I have known a few physicians who probably were on the spectrum. They were excellent. Because of their perceived gruff bedside manner, they fit themselves into appropriate specialties. You would excel as a surgeon, if your coordination is ok. You would also do well as an anesthesiologist, a pathologist, a radiologist, a dermatologist, an ophthalmologist - any specialty in which it would not be necessary to observe a patient's facial expressions to ascertain what that patient may be thinking.

In pharmacy school I learned anatomy so well that the anatomy department's head allowed me to help him teach anatomy to medical students in their anatomy labs. He begged me to switch careers and get a PhD in anatomy. I probably should have. Once you get a medical degree opportunities will open up for you as an instructor - if that sounds appealing to you. Many physicians teach medical, pharmacy, dental, physical therapy, and nursing students.

You could get a dual MD/PhD degree, and then do medical research. You would probably excel working in your own lab.

You may enjoy working with medical robotics (for example, surgical robotics, and robotic miniaturization), and/or medical bioengineering.

Medical genetics is an emerging field that will soon become the future of medicine. You would likely excel here.

We could certainly use your Aspie brain and talents in the field of medicine! Jump in, if medicine is your passion, and do not be concerned that you are not NT. Move into an area behind the scenes, away from the egos, away from family practice (where you would have to observe patients, their mannerisms, take histories and notes, and make assessments and diagnoses), and the ERs (which are chaotic, noisy, meltdown-inducing environments with everybody screaming over one another, drunks, prisoners in chains, police with drawn guns, etc.). Pick the specialty that interests you and you will excel!! ! :D

Good luck, and best wishes to you!
Chuck

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 9:55 pm

I've actually considered the possibility of medical school myself. I don't think I'd do well as a general practitioner or working in a hospital, but I think it would be great to do an R&D type specialty. If you're considering something like that, I'm going to have to let the engineer in me come out and suggest that you get a Bachelors of Science degree in engineering (preferably Biological, Chemical, or Mechanical engineering), since they tend to make the best doctors for that area. They're the ones that come up with things like artificial hearts, kidneys, or a pancreas. There's a program I'm tempted by up at University of Washington where you get a dual PhD and MD by studying Biomedical Engineering (though they suggest you spend at least 5-10 years working as an engineer with your B.S. before entering the program).

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2009, 5:30 pm

> people with this "disorder" may have trouble detecting emotion or sharing empathy

Yeah, like most doctors.

Sheesh. I mean they HAVE to insulate themselves from all the dramas before them. Being aspie should be an ADVANTAGE.

Now, if you're a misanthrope and you actually dislike people and don't want to see any ever again if possible, then treating patients is probably not for you.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:37 pm

Ladarzak wrote:
> people with this "disorder" may have trouble detecting emotion or sharing empathy

Yeah, like most doctors.

Sheesh. I mean they HAVE to insulate themselves from all the dramas before them. Being aspie should be an ADVANTAGE.

Now, if you're a misanthrope and you actually dislike people and don't want to see any ever again if possible, then treating patients is probably not for you.

Unless you're a misanthrope and a schadenfreude that can hide it well. Then you should be an Oncologist.

Hmm, that's a bit horrible, isn't it?

DrPhil92
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2009, 7:48 pm

Wow. Okay thanks alot guys. I am very surprised by these answers as i was expecting to be persuaded into another field. Thanks so much again, you guys have given me hope!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 1:01 am

My dad is a doctor. What I know from him is that
-doctors work A LOT
-they are under a lot of pressure
-the workplace environment has a lot of politics and unsaid things going on
-if you are looking to make money, there are much easier ways to make more
Also I think it is very tough to get into medical school (at least now), and they want people with high science marks, and are well rounded, with extra curriculars and giving good interviews. If this appeals to you, go for it!