Toucan

16 Jan 2009, 4:00 am

er interference

simple and makes sense

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:05 am

it is a possibility, nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't state it with as much certainty as you have.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 5:37 am

where did God come from then?

it's no answer. it only raises up more questions.

I find it hard to believe that such an answer can satisfy an intelligent person who seeks to find some truth about things...

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 6:11 am

anna-banana wrote:
where did God come from then?

it's no answer. it only raises up more questions.

I find it hard to believe that such an answer can satisfy an intelligent person who seeks to find some truth about things...

life provides new questions and very few answers. A truly intelligent person admits to what they know, do not know and will never know. And then still seeks the truth.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 6:57 am

^^I agree.

God of the gaps is no answer at all.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2009, 7:06 am

god is the universe and exists unchanging in all dimensions, including especially the dimension of time. god is was and is to be, the alpha and omega. we are god contemplating himself. there cannot be any being separate from being, and the universe is the totality of being. yawn.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 7:16 am

No, you all have got it wrong. The universe was created by a gigantic bored turtle. It dreamed of the universe and there is was poof, just by magic.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 7:41 am

anna-banana wrote:
^^I agree.

God of the gaps is no answer at all.

gaps are in human intelligence. If there is a god, he does not exist merely to fill the gaps in our minds.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 8:11 am

adverb wrote:
god is the universe and exists unchanging in all dimensions, including especially the dimension of time. god is was and is to be, the alpha and omega. we are god contemplating himself. there cannot be any being separate from being, and the universe is the totality of being. yawn.

I agree with 'yawn'.

the rest is just as plausible as the giant turtle.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 8:28 am

People have been making up how the universe came to be for thousands of years. But it's not enough to just choose one and feel comfortable. Really finding out requires observation, thought, doubt, understanding, revision, and a good deal of work. And even then the facts keep changing.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 8:29 am

anna-banana wrote:

But the giant turtle must be true - I read it in a two thousand year old book. I have faith. Those who don't believe in the giant turtle are doomed to hell.

It sent us its egg to die that we might live. Hallelujah! All praise the egg of turtle.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 9:38 am

Aaroney, the view you are expressing here is known as deism, and the God you are describing has been called the Demiurge. Deism is an interesting way of dodging many of the criticisms leveled against theism, but it also seems to be a rather meaningless religion.

Tallyman, you are badly misquoting that turtle myth. And also, that particular one was never recorded in an ancient book, given that the culture that believed it never developed a writing system. It was part of an oral tradition.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 9:47 am

TallyMan wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

But the giant turtle must be true - I read it in a two thousand year old book. I have faith. Those who don't believe in the giant turtle are doomed to hell.

It sent us its egg to die that we might live. Hallelujah! All praise the egg of turtle.

nice!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 10:30 am

Orwell wrote:
Tallyman, you are badly misquoting that turtle myth. And also, that particular one was never recorded in an ancient book, given that the culture that believed it never developed a writing system. It was part of an oral tradition.

Don't take me so literally :wink: I made it up as I went along. I wish I'd said Giraffe now instead of turtle.

I'm aware of a turtle based theory of the universe where there is a stack of turtles. Do they go turtles all the way to the bottom or does the final turtle stand on something else - I've forgotten. :D

monty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 1:04 pm

The Deist movement (which included Thomas Jefferson) thought along these lines - that God created and wound up the universe, but didn't interfere with the day to function of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 1:16 pm

aaronrey wrote:
god created the universe and let it evolve without any further interference

Evidence, Please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.