god created the universe and let it evolve without any furth

Page 10 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 9:52 am

v0lume wrote:
Exactly, all those people. They are the destroyers of my identity and humanity as a whole, of course I feel the way I do.

Just because some guy feels the same way about certain things as I do doesn't mean I agree with him completely. However, that conversation belongs to another thread.

:lol:

so typical. You have the ability to disagree with people that feel the same way as you but other people don't.

you seem more hypocritical than the religious people you hate

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 10:02 am

slowmutant wrote:
I beg your pardon.

a pardon is granted.

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2009, 10:37 am

Shiggily wrote:

so typical. You have the ability to disagree with people that feel the same way as you but other people don't.

Excuse me? Now your just pulling ideas about me out of your ass. Nothing you said made any sense, and you can consider yourself no longer worth talking to in my eyes. See ya!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 10:48 am

I think you hit a nerve, Shiggily.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

slowmutant wrote:
I think you hit a nerve, Shiggily.

apparently.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

Usually that means the person has no rebuttal.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 12:12 pm

v0lume wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

Excuse me? Now your just pulling ideas about me out of your ass. Nothing you said made any sense, and you can consider yourself no longer worth talking to in my eyes. See ya!

I will break it down for you. You say " because some guy feels the same way about certain things as I do doesn't mean I agree with him completely"

which is the same way the people you hate feel about many of the things you hate. Many Christians have the same views but don't necessarily agree with each other completely. In fact. Many Muslims participate in the same religion but a large percentage do not feel that fundamentalist Muslims are correct in their suicide bombings and attacks on other countries.

However you are saying that you have the right to disagree with people who hold the same views as you. But other people do not have that right. If they are all Christian/Muslim/Jewish/[fill-in-the-blank-with-other-groups-you-hate] then they must have the same views AND must I agree with each other completely. They cannot disagree like you can. They are allllllllll the same.

which is hypocritical. You are affording yourself rights that you do not extend to other people. You hold them to a different standard then you hold yourself to. You profess to be logical and understanding, but it is obvious that you are not. You insist that only you and the people you agree with should be allowed the ability to disagree with people with the same views. But the people you disagree with should not be allowed that same freedom to differentiate themselves from people they do not want to be associated with (while still keeping the same views).

so...

if you are not being hypocritical... then what are you. what other word describes "The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess" or "refusal to '...apply to ourselves the same standards we apply to others'"

By the way, did you know that "In psychology, hypocritical behavior is closely related to the fundamental attribution error: individuals are more likely to explain their own actions by their environment, yet they attribute the actions of others to 'innate characteristics', thus leading towards judging others while justifying ones' own actions. Also, some people genuinely fail to recognize that they have character faults which they condemn in others. This is called psychological projection. This is self-deception rather than deliberate deception of other people."
Jones, E. E. & Harris, V. A. (1967). The attribution of attitudes. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 3, 1–24.

so... you are lying to yourself. which brings me back to one of the first posts I replied to you with.

"All humans are hypocrites; the biggest hypocrite of all is the one who claims to detest hypocrisy."
Peter Wastholm

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

It is not simple. Life is a very complex mechanism, consciousness more so, and complexity doesn't just exist, it develops. The more complex something is, the less probable it is.

This is why Occam's Razor works. Either the universe started simple and became more complex, or something more complex than the universe designed it.

Superstitious people who use the universe's complexity as evidence of design or intent are committing a massive fallacy: they're explaining away complexity by making it more complex.

If one were to suggest that God was actually an extraordinarily simple event rather than a consciousness, that would be different. If one were to suggest that a cosmic consciousness evolved with the universe and that it is responsible for the events described in our mythologies, that would be different (involving a similar fallacy, but on a much smaller scale). Yet a being that developed with the universe rather than creating it isn't even a deistic God, and certainly isn't the one conjured by our great grandmonkeys' fireside ghost stories.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Life is a very complex mechanism, consciousness more so, and complexity doesn't just exist, it develops. The more complex something is, the less probable it is

To my mind, this is an argument against the purported random nature of the universe. How could something so complex and internally consistent as the natural world have come togather by chance?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 7:17 pm

All theories about God and the origin of the universe are equally valid, given the amount of information we have on the subject. How can you argue theism over deism when the facts are simply not available to us?

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 8:03 pm

Random? Chance? Bwuh?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:28 am

Saerain wrote:
It is not simple. Life is a very complex mechanism, consciousness more so, and complexity doesn't just exist, it develops. The more complex something is, the less probable it is.

This is why Occam's Razor works. Either the universe started simple and became more complex, or something more complex than the universe designed it.

Superstitious people who use the universe's complexity as evidence of design or intent are committing a massive fallacy: they're explaining away complexity by making it more complex.

If one were to suggest that God was actually an extraordinarily simple event rather than a consciousness, that would be different. If one were to suggest that a cosmic consciousness evolved with the universe and that it is responsible for the events described in our mythologies, that would be different (involving a similar fallacy, but on a much smaller scale). Yet a being that developed with the universe rather than creating it isn't even a deistic God, and certainly isn't the one conjured by our great grandmonkeys' fireside ghost stories.

its interesting that you find evolution simple and a god complex, when many other people feel the opposite and use Occam's Razor to justify the existence of a god.

Simplicity is a matter of perception.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:51 am

Isn't this deism (as opposed to the more active theism)?

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 2:22 am

slowmutant wrote:
All theories about God and the origin of the universe are equally valid, given the amount of information we have on the subject. How can you argue theism over deism when the facts are simply not available to us?

The very first question is a much different one: "Does the universe have an origin?" To repeat myself, e.g. Spinoza said No. There is no known process which creates energy/matter out of nothing, why we shall assume that there is such process at all. Even the Big Bang has its natural cause, a cause on which physics are currently speculating, and which can't determinate currently, but every hypothesis around works quite well without any divine interference.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:11 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
Life is a very complex mechanism, consciousness more so, and complexity doesn't just exist, it develops. The more complex something is, the less probable it is

To my mind, this is an argument against the purported random nature of the universe. How could something so complex and internally consistent as the natural world have come togather by chance?

The universe is not random. This is one of those idiotic ideas that religion keeps insisting on with no evidence. The universe is a complex interaction of a few basic laws with non-random results.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:30 am

Shiggily wrote:

yeah all those disgusting people like Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, Jesus (he was the most disgusting of all), Tolkein was an ass, so was CS Lewis, Kepler, Pascal, Leeuwenhoek, Linnaeus, Euler, Cauchy, Boole, Kelvin, Riemann, George Washington Carver (damn you and your disgusting peanut butter), Mendel, Newton, Wright brothers, Rembrandt, Bach, Handel Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, Copernicus, Vermeer, Renoir, Galilei, and of course George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were total jerks (America doesn't need them)

Newton was not a Christian. He denied the Trinity. He was more like a Deist. The other scientists and mathematicians you mentioned did not let their religion get in the way of their talent.

ruveyn