Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 2:30 am

You ever been in a conversation and been talking about one thing, and you'll think about it and get lost in your thoughts for a moment, and then say something that seems to be totally unrelated and random(even though there's a perfectly valid connection to it in your head)? A perfect example is... I was watching the Family Guy yesterday and Lois says to Peter "You should be a producer" then he goes off into this imaginary scenario in his head of what being a producer would be like. The next thing he says is "I love Mexicans! Ill do it!". He didn't even think twice about the fact that Lois would have no idea wtf he was talking about. I do this sort of thing all the time. And I was just curious if this was normal for people with AS? It makes it hard to have long conversations with people because I often cause the other person to be confused.

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2009, 3:11 am

yep happens to me all the time

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 5:03 am

Happens to me, too. And, boy, do people ever get irritated about it!

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 5:05 am

I think the NTs suffer more from these things than they like to make out. It's just our extreme internal differences that have us questioning our every quirk while they go on chuckling at their little mistakes and silly moments. It's like we don't have permission to just be a little silly from time to time. It always lands as a blow, another time people thought we were weird.

But for my part, my problem is usually talking over people, often to keep from forgetting what I have to say before it's said, or because I pause slightly and they try to chime in. I do go on, I know that, so that it can be hard to get a word in, but I also don't mean to talk over them. Sometimes it really does seem like everyone else gets to make mistakes once in a while without serious repercussions and I make nothing but mistakes and make everyone avoid me.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 5:13 am

irishwhistle wrote:
I think the NTs suffer more from these things than they like to make out. It's just our extreme internal differences that have us questioning our every quirk while they go on chuckling at their little mistakes and silly moments. It's like we don't have permission to just be a little silly from time to time. It always lands as a blow, another time people thought we were weird.

But for my part, my problem is usually talking over people, often to keep from forgetting what I have to say before it's said, or because I pause slightly and they try to chime in. I do go on, I know that, so that it can be hard to get a word in, but I also don't mean to talk over them. Sometimes it really does seem like everyone else gets to make mistakes once in a while without serious repercussions and I make nothing but mistakes and make everyone avoid me.

QFT! QFT! Every word is QFT!

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 6:17 am

All the time. People have compared me to Family Guy humor. I'd like to think that I'm more like J.D from Scrubs, only he keeps those thoughts to himself whereas I say them out loud.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:01 am

pensieve wrote:
All the time. People have compared me to Family Guy humor. I'd like to think that I'm more like J.D from Scrubs, only he keeps those thoughts to himself whereas I say them out loud.

Yeah, J.D. does that a lot too. I never thought about it before when watching scrubs. But yeah... he often goes off into his own little world and then does a "I wonder if..." that has no obvious connection to what the current conversation is

Exit_stage_left
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm

I do it all the time. My brother has been known to patiently remind me that nobody else can see what's in my head, and I need to make the connection aloud.

frohman2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2009, 1:45 pm

I do that sometimes, when talking to friends on AIM, and they don't mind.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:59 pm

Yeah that happens to me too, sometimes i
also stop in the middle of a sentence or
close to end, for some reason i just think
out the rest and fail to mention it to those
who listen :) and when they say "...yes,
and..? you were saying something..?" i`m
allready way passed that in my head and
thinking about something else - so then i
say "what..?" because for a second i`m not
sure what they are talking about and it just
gets really messy

""I was watching the Family Guy yesterday and Lois says to Peter "You should be a producer" then he goes off into this imaginary scenario in his head of what being a producer would be like. The next thing he says is "I love Mexicans!""

:lol: makes sense to me, i remember that clip

Whitewave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2009, 10:27 pm

Yes, b/f does that.

CorruptNova
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2009, 12:03 am

I do something similar, i'll be talking and all of a sudden i'll stop and mumble something (usually inaudible to the other person) that I remember I had to do that day or just something I remembered in general but, I won't hear myself or notice that I am doing it and the continue the conversation like nothing happened.

azulene
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2009, 7:13 am

I wind up thinking some crazy stuff off on a disconnected tangent, but not get around to saying it, rather, start explaining the crazy thing I didn't get around to saying. Then say it.

Order shmorder...

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 10:20 am

i used to do it a lot but once i became aware of it i worked to try to stop this and now i don't do it, or at least i don't do it often

djinnNtonic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Mar 2009, 11:48 am

Yup, yup & yup. And then have one of those "Oh crap did I just say that out loud?" moments.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:50 am

Yup, I also loose track of what I was saying very often, too.