Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

P-Lane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2009, 11:54 pm

If I'm to stay out of trouble (eg jail,etc) I may need a caregiver after my dad dies. this kind of makes me sad but then again, I've got autism plus (tourette's and other things on the side) so I guess I maybe cant do it and take on the world. I just have to accept myself for who I am. I'm like 16 mentally even though I'm really 21. I've always been behind people my age. If I didn't have this disorder though, I would be successful like dad is and like my brother will be. I don't know what the future holds but I can't help that I was born this way. Sorry for the rant but I'm having a rough night in all honesty.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:52 am

Never give up and never set any deadlines about being a success. Many famous people didn't even get started until they were in their forties so time is on your side.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 9:07 am

i think garyww is right here. the thing is, for people who are on the spectrum somewhere, it is usual that the second half of one's life is a little more settled than the first half. we learn things cognitively and slowly.

in my youth i could not have even coped with WP.
just get into your special interests and enjoy life a smuch as you can.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:49 pm

agrees with garyww.

P-Lane,
it doesnt matter whether family have better chances at things than self,it doesnt mean they are better,nicer, or worth more,only bother with what self can do rather than what family can do-family can be completely different from each other,eg,unlike am-have got a sister who went through mainstream school,is 'gifted',did uni and all of that sort of stuff-yet unlike am she is rubbish with computers and animals,people go to her to say how intelligent she is,and how great she is to be working as a councilor,but no one will ever be going to her to ask her to install basic software for them.

am would think own family will have their weaknesses to,they cant be good at everything.

depending on area and diagnoses,there are lots of forms of support available that can help if need it not just support staff or residential care,and it isnt bad or weak to accept it,so if ever do need it,dont refuse it,it a way of making self equal as possible with others who do not need such supports.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!