Do Books About Body Language Interest You?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,399
Location: Warwick, Rhode Island

18 Jan 2009, 3:18 am

Do you read books about body langauge and do you find them helpful in social interactions with people?


_________________
Not through revolution but by evolution are all things accomplished in permanency.


sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,488
Location: Bandon-by-the-Sea, Oregon

18 Jan 2009, 3:33 am

yes, but I find it tedious and after a while I realize that I really don't care what they are not saying anymore than I cared about what they were saying.


but seriously, I found that I didn't get any warm fuzzies just because I could finally interpret what they were expressing with their bodies, I didn't get any psychological pay off like they do, so I never read much more about it all.
it has taken me years to understand why I couldn't make myself care. Now I know that I just don't 'get' why I would want to know.

Merle


_________________
Alis volat propriis
State Motto of Oregon


Exit_stage_left
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 22

18 Jan 2009, 3:38 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Do you read books about body langauge and do you find them helpful in social interactions with people?


I used to find them extremely interesting until I'd rerad enough that they were just repeating each other.

They were very useful.



Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

18 Jan 2009, 3:52 am

sinsboldly summed it up.

Body language was an early obsession of mine. I can recognise all sorts of signals because of it, but some, at least, need to be exhibited subconsciously.

On the whole, I recommend such books to aspies. Get the good ones though, and not dating quackery.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2005
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,630
Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

18 Jan 2009, 6:34 am

I've read not books, but websites. I've never tried to apply them to social situations (I don't care enough about socialising to make the effort, and I've known most of my friends for long enough that I've learned to read them), but they have been somewhat helpful in job interviews.


_________________
Music Theory 101: Cadences.
Authentic cadence: V-I
Plagal cadence: IV-I
Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I


Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,524
Location: Hamburg, Germany

18 Jan 2009, 1:36 pm

I´ve been wondering if I should read some, though I´m not sure how interesting it would be...there´s so much other stuff I want to read, too! I think what bothers me about the whole body language thing is that I´m not sure how accurate it really is. When NT people pick those things up, I wonder if it feels more like a gut feeling to them- and therefore feels more real? (Not sure about this, but the fact that the information is subconscious would make it seem so). But, if I go looking for body language in people, I tend to feel like I´m making judgments about people that are not based on actual fact. I find this difficult to do, somehow. As for my own body language, well...that might be hard to control, but it might help somewhat.


_________________
"death is the road to awe"


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

18 Jan 2009, 8:07 pm

Morgana wrote:
I´ve been wondering if I should read some, though I´m not sure how interesting it would be...there´s so much other stuff I want to read, too! I think what bothers me about the whole body language thing is that I´m not sure how accurate it really is. When NT people pick those things up, I wonder if it feels more like a gut feeling to them- and therefore feels more real? (Not sure about this, but the fact that the information is subconscious would make it seem so). But, if I go looking for body language in people, I tend to feel like I´m making judgments about people that are not based on actual fact. I find this difficult to do, somehow. As for my own body language, well...that might be hard to control, but it might help somewhat.


Some of its very accurate. Check out "The Book of Tells" by Peter Collett. Its a fun read, factual and not laced with an agenda.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Age: 182
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,011

19 Jan 2009, 10:11 am

I'm trying to learn to get around my disabilities but I'm not reading a book about body language. I understand body language enough already and the knowledge is hard to apply in real life anyways.



Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,524
Location: Hamburg, Germany

19 Jan 2009, 3:41 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Morgana wrote:
I´ve been wondering if I should read some, though I´m not sure how interesting it would be...there´s so much other stuff I want to read, too! I think what bothers me about the whole body language thing is that I´m not sure how accurate it really is. When NT people pick those things up, I wonder if it feels more like a gut feeling to them- and therefore feels more real? (Not sure about this, but the fact that the information is subconscious would make it seem so). But, if I go looking for body language in people, I tend to feel like I´m making judgments about people that are not based on actual fact. I find this difficult to do, somehow. As for my own body language, well...that might be hard to control, but it might help somewhat.


Some of its very accurate. Check out "The Book of Tells" by Peter Collett. Its a fun read, factual and not laced with an agenda.


Thanks for the recommendation- yeah, maybe I´ll check it out.


_________________
"death is the road to awe"