Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 1:20 pm

Bye to the Bushes and welcome Obama. Hell, I am not even an American and got lumps in my throat, tears in my eyes, Obama spoke with Solomon wisdom!! !
He spoke to Hindus,Muslems, Christians and people without beliefs with the same respect. Well done, Obama!!

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 1:42 pm

I raise a glass to toast him this day.

Here's to a great four years, and possibly eight.

And let's look at how other sites are honoring this moment:

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Main_Page (always funny!)

www.resist.com (no updates thankfully!)

www.presidentmoron.com (they call him Oedipus!! !! !!)

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page (even they are trying to suck the fun out of it!!)

and of course:

www.whitehouse.gov (WOW!)

Last edited by MADDuck on 20 Jan 2009, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 1:47 pm

He's just another lying politician who will tell you what you want to hear and then not deliver. I could be wrong... I HOPE I am wrong... but I do not have much respect for politicians in general. They lie.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 1:48 pm

Amazing, wasn't it? I only got to see part of it all, as I am at work and work comes first (and the webstream was overloaded). I will read the transcription of it all this evening.

I have now lived long enough to see something I ~never~ thought I would see in my lifetime. I have seen both a woman and a mixed-race individual have a real shot at the White House, and seen one of them win. 8O

I still remember seeing the signs on the walls for the separate entrances and restrooms, not being able to sit in the back of the bus because that's where the other people were to sit,(yes, it worked both ways, you got in trouble on the bus if you sat in the wrong section if you were white, too.), separate schools, having my sister catch all kinds of hell for dating a black kid - people shut their doors in the couple's faces - and the laws that said which ethnicities could live in what parts of town.

I've been told to my face that women don't belong in the workplace, been turned down for interviews "because I'd just get married, pregnant, and leave anyway", been denied admission to a university back "in the day" because they only admitted men and couldn't "waste" a space on me. And now I'm watching a woman who was a senator, who almost was a president, and who is now to be Secretary of State of the United States.

Now we've got a son of a single-parent household, from Hawaii, who is of half IrishAmerican and half Kenyan ancestry who was raised by his grandmother and made it through Harvard, as our President.

I never, ever, thought I'd see today and the results of the last couple of years happen. But I'm sure glad I'm old enough to have done so, and that my own kid doesn't see that it's a big deal. To her, it's, of course, as it should be. What's the big deal, Mom?

Times have changed. Most definitely, times have changed. :)

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 2:02 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
He's just another lying politician who will tell you what you want to hear and then not deliver. I could be wrong... I HOPE I am wrong... but I do not have much respect for politicians in general. They lie.

So what if someone were to from WP and join politics just for the cause of making people more aware, and more accepting of people with ASDs?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 4:31 pm

Loborojo wrote:
Bye to the Bushes and welcome Obama. Hell, I am not even an American and got lumps in my throat, tears in my eyes, Obama spoke with Solomon wisdom!! !
He spoke to Hindus,Muslems, Christians and people without beliefs with the same respect. Well done, Obama!!

Obama ok far as passing out extra benefit.... freebies.

Can't say he a great president but let see how it play out.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:07 pm

Loborojo wrote:

Did you even LISTEN to the speech, or did you just not catch it? MOST don't mention it at all. Obama lumped christians with muslims, and hindus with jews, which isn't exactly good. THEN, he spoke down to moslem leaders! Frankly, I think the speech STUNK! He started by saying he was humble and THEN it sounded quite arrogant.

And I couldn't help but notice the OVERrepresented blacks on whitehouse.gov, and he DID have that VERY expensive innaugeration, and WHO is getting the ticket fees?

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 20 Jan 2009, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:08 pm

good riddance for Bush, apparently he is gong to settle in Dallas in an area where Blacks were not allowed to settle and as for the cynics...in world history (Ancient Greeks and ancient Rome, we had great politicians, give Obama a chance, but as for every president who become the leader of a country their ride during the recession won't be easy an dthe economic tide will be blamed on them as people already do, when they can't solve the problem.

The ones who know best always stand on the sideline ciriticising, don't they?

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Loborojo wrote:

Did you even LISTEN to the speech, or did you just not catch it? MOST don't mention it at all. Obama lumped christians with muslims, and hindus with jews, which isn't exactly good. THEN, he spoke down to moslem leaders! Frankly, I think the speech STUNK! He started by saying he was humble and THEN it sounded quite arrogant.

And I couldn't help but notice the OVERrepresented blacks on whitehouse.gov, and he DID have that VERY expensive innaugeration, and WHO is getting the ticket fees?

I think you didn'ty listen and had your blinkers over your ears, just because he didn't talk to reborn Christians only like you are one, or talked like would be Saint Bush...oh man how deaf can you be????

Modality
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2009, 6:13 pm

Electing Obama was a step in the right direction, but there is still quite a way to go.

Today's imperial pageantry disgusted me.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:14 pm

Loborojo wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
Loborojo wrote:

I think you didn'ty listen and had your blinkers over your ears, just because he didn't talk to reborn Christians only like you are one, or talked like would be Saint Bush...oh man how deaf can you be????

I'm NOT "reborn Christian", and didn't speak to that anyway! And WHEN did bush talk like he was a saint? I notice that you, like he, didn't speak to the REAL issues.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

He is just another politician like all the rest and if anybody actually thinks that governments have the best interests of the people in mind then they need a reality check.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:31 pm

Loborojo wrote:
good riddance for Bush, apparently he is gong to settle in Dallas in an area where Blacks were not allowed to settle and as for the cynics...in world history (Ancient Greeks and ancient Rome, we had great politicians, give Obama a chance, but as for every president who become the leader of a country their ride during the recession won't be easy an dthe economic tide will be blamed on them as people already do, when they can't solve the problem.

The ones who know best always stand on the sideline ciriticising, don't they?

Yeah, if they were able to do something, maybe something would get done! I don't have enough larceny or money to run, and probably wouldn't even if I DID have the money.

As for your OH SO UNDERSTANDING diatribe :roll: ? As I recall, you LOVED clinton, though HE was responsible for much of this garbage. I have been telling people we were heading down this road for about 22 YEARS! The banks violated glass steagle, and campaigned to get it repealed. CLINTON repealed it about 10 years ago! CLINTONs administration allowed greenspan to raise the rates SKY HIGH!(Forcing many to go BANKRUPT)! He apparently ALSO relaxed rules for corporations. That caused the 1999 crash. Greenspans response was to keep LOWERING rates like CRAZY!! !! ! They are now so low that it is UNREAL! According to some, the fed funds rate is as low as ********ZERO*********%!

If I were king, the corporate rules would NOT have been relaxed! The interest rates would NOT have been fiddled with. Glass Steagle would NOT have been repealed, and I would have fined every branch perhaps a MILLION dollars, and demanded that they be SHUT DOWN! I would have kept usary laws in place, and charged all violators of disclosure rules 10% of the loans and $1000,000, or $2,000,000 whichever is more. The big runup prior to 1999 would have been more sedate, the 1999 crash would NEVER have happened, the real estate boom would have been more sedate, the real estate crash would NEVER have happened, and we would likely STILL be humming along. BTW the Madoff scandal may not have happened either.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:40 pm

That's a Megadeth song.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:45 pm

You realize that, according to someone I know who has been studying economics his entire life (my great uncle who at one point was president of Tampax, or whatever the company was that owned it at the time) and he claims that recessions are a part of the natural economic cycle, and actually help to stabilize an economy when it would normally cause certain things to become dangerous otherwise (like inflation).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:46 pm

Goodbye to the tyranny.

Thank god we get to elect a new person every 4 years...if it had been more which was 8, I don't know what would happen.

Still don't know what's to happen but the economy is the first thing Bush should've worried about instead of having gobs of money go to Iraq and his stupid war against terrorism.