Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

buryuntime wrote:

Psychiatrists are hesitant to diagnose me with AS because I can't talk in front of them

It looks as if your psychiatrists could not take 10 minutes of their time to realize that selective mutism is really common in females with AS. I had this problem as well. Whenever I was put in a new situation (new person, new place...) I just could not talk. People that knew me when I was a kid would later say things like "you were so quiet we would worry about you." Then when I would finally say something, the comment was always "this was the first time I ever heard you speak." It was made worse because I grew up with an abusive mother. I learned the "just shut up" philosophy as a way to avoid chastisement.

I don't really fit the "verbose" criteria for AS either, but I suppose this is why. On the contrary, I feel more comfortable when I write, so I tend to write better than I speak. Even today, I have a hard time stringing together words, and when I do, the sentences come out broken with bad grammar and poor word choice.

ATwistedLogic
Raven
Raven

10 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

I've been a selective mute most of my life, only talking to my immediate family when at home or whispering to them in public. It's not until recently, through a combination of speech therapy and my own self confidence, that I've started talking again :)

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

I was selectively mute to varying degrees until I was around 7-8 years old. When I started school, I wouldn't talk to any of the kids, although I'd be able to speak softly with the teacher. I was treated for that, and eventually was able to get past it. I always thought my ongoing struggles in social situations had something to do with selective mutism, but given my other traits and the fact that I haven't been selectively mute in any way for probably close to two decades...

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

I was never diagnosed and don't remember that term in any school reports but I likely had that when I was younger, maybe even some now.

I remember lots of times in school where I wouldn't or just couldn't talk and I remember times as a teenager where I was so quiet that people sometimes thought I was mute or mentally disabled. Once someone even thought I was schizophrenic because I was quiet.

Gartnavel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

I hardly spoke a word between Summer 2003 - Spring 2006 ; almost 3 years.
Because I didn't much care for the lower pitch my voice was taking. An unfamiliar tone... of my own.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 6:46 pm

I have had this before. It sort of depends on the situation, more than on any certain person or type of person. But when I am heavily into something like excercise, bike riding, etc. I may hear someone say something to me & not respond at all.

Sincerely,
Matthew