What are some weird things about your school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 2:15 pm

Back at my old high school, sometimes teachers wouldn't show up for class for no reason at all.

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2009, 2:23 pm

When I was in high school we used to take bets on how late the teacher would be for class.

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

Roygerdodger you seem to talk alot about school and what others think of it. I noticed you live in north carolina and was wondering what the schools over there are like. I live in Newcastle, which is near Seattle if you were wondering.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:49 pm

My college mascot was named after an illegal alcoholic drink during prohibition.

I went to high school in a city that was half in Texas, half in Arkansas. I went to Texas High; our rival high school was Arkansas High. The rivalry was so bad between these schools that you couldn't cross the state line during "hell week" (when the football teams played each other). If you did, you were in danger of getting hit by eggs or sniper paint guns underneath cars at car dealerships.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

The weirdest thing for me was being rounded up as one of the "usual suspects" whenever a theft or act of vandalism occured at the school, solely on the basis of my "Nervous and Jerky" behavior whenever authority figures were around (little or no eye contact, nervousness, mumbled answers or silence when questioned, et cetera).

Eventually, they always found the real culprit, and I was never formally charged with anything.

Looking back, I guess the reasons that they picked on me were: (1) my brothers were drop-outs with juvenile criminal records, and (2) it's easier to pin a crime on someone who could possibly be intimidated into making a "confession" than it is to do any actual detective work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:16 am

soljaboi51 wrote:
Roygerdodger you seem to talk alot about school and what others think of it.

Yeah, but not much anymore.

Quote:
I noticed you live in north carolina and was wondering what the schools over there are like. I live in Newcastle, which is near Seattle if you were wondering

If you're thinking about moving to NC, the schools here are either good or bad.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 3:06 pm

In my last year at school I had one teacher who wasn't even there half of the time when she was surpose to be.

TheUnnamedOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2009, 7:48 pm

Girls werent allowed to wear tank tops because the faculty found it "suggestive."

Students also weren't allowed to dance, as (the faculty thinks) dancing leads to "other things" (sex). Especially in middle school.. dance = sex...yeeep :roll:

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 7:53 pm

TheUnnamedOne wrote:
Students also weren't allowed to dance, as (the faculty thinks) dancing leads to "other things" (sex). Especially in middle school.. dance = sex...yeeep :roll:

Isn't that the plot of Footloose?! :lol:

Well, back in Year 7 people in my class were very law-abiding, but then in Year 8 we got a new kid called Elliot who does drugs, gets people pregnant randomly and has a criminal record for breaking into someone's house and trying to nick their XBox. Now the others think they're rebels because they know someone who is. Pathetic.

y es como un semestre"

TheUnnamedOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2009, 8:01 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
we got a new kid called Elliot who does drugs, gets people pregnant randomly and has a criminal record for breaking into someone's house and trying to nick their XBox.

sounds like a nice guy... :?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 8:05 pm

TheUnnamedOne wrote:
gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
we got a new kid called Elliot who does drugs, gets people pregnant randomly and has a criminal record for breaking into someone's house and trying to nick their XBox.

sounds like a nice guy... :?

This stuff was in Year 8 too, he's even worse now. Kinda annoys me how he thinks he's so cool, and the fact that 90% of the girls in our year are in love with him sure doesn't help! :roll:

y es como un semestre"

GeorgeM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2009, 8:41 pm

Students at my school do interesting things to run away/get themselves kicked out.
Last year, a freshman ran away and managed to get to New York in one day. Now mind you, my school is in the middle of nowhere in Virginia, and the nearest train station ain't that close 8O
This year, someone stole a kayak (there's an outdoors group that uses them in the fall and spring) and paddled it few miles down the river that's right by the campus.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2009, 8:51 pm

High School

- My high school was one of the biggest public high schools in the United States. (I think in the top 5)

- We had more security guards than any other school in the area.

- We used to be allowed to bring Ipods and other electronics to school, but so many fights broke out because of stolen electronics, the privilege got taken away.

College

- My college is the first ever community college to be built in the United States. It's been around since 1901. (now you can easily look up where I go :P

- My college is most famous for its nursing program.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 10:02 pm

High School (Natrona County High School in Casper, WY):

- It was completely normal for a person to come to class with a loaded deer hunting rifle hanging in their truck's gun rack. Yes, this was post-Columbine, and no, they never got in trouble.

- It was also normal for us to have to go into a lockdown because a meth dealer was having a shootout with the police a few blocks from the school. When I moved from Casper in 2004, it had the highest rate of meth usage in the US.

- Same high school that Dick Cheney went to. I don't like him, but it was a big joke when they wanted to rename the school after him, considering our rival school's mascot was the Trojans.

College (Casper College):

- It's where Fred Phelps (the douche-bag with the "God Hates Fags" protests) would hold a yearly rally, celebrating Matthew Shepherd's death. My sister made the national news screaming at him, I'm very proud of her for this.

College (Oregon State University):

- It's the only university to have all four "grants" - Land Grant, Sea Grant, Space Grant, Sun Grant.

- Timothy S. Leatherman, the inventor of Leatherman multitools, recieved his Mechanical Engineering degree from OSU.

- Linus Pauling, the only person to ever win two unshared Nobel Prizes, recieved his degree from what is now OSU's Chemical Engineering department.

And my dad always wonders why I love Oregon and hate Wyoming...

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2009, 10:35 pm

DNForrest wrote:
Fred Phelps

Every time I hear that name my blood boils. What a disgusting waste of skin.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 10:53 pm

Fidget wrote:
DNForrest wrote:
Fred Phelps

Every time I hear that name my blood boils. What a disgusting waste of skin.

Agreed. There's a reason I either had to leave my pocket knife at home or give it to my friend if we had to walk by him on the days he'd protest.