How the hell do I learn how to dress, comb my hair and stuff

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm

I've been weight training for a while now and it's showing. Sometimes I still look funny, though. I'm using tighter fitting jeans and shirts. I need to work on my shirts. My hair is sometimes bad. I know it. There's other stuff wrong but I don't know what it is exactly. I just suspect it.

How frequently am I suppose to wear a shirt? jeans? shoes? How many pairs of shoes am I suppose to have and wear?

Of course my people skills suck so bad it's not even funny. If I get the looks right, though, I might get a sweet woman who will look past the immature behavior.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 11:57 pm

Looks aren't anything.... My dad's appearence would turn most women off, but he managed to find the perfect second wife, someone who got me my diagnosis, and fought with me everyday to improve my life, and has got me to where I am today, finally being able to accept my diagnosis, and being able to learn and improve my life. Now I need to learn to ride the personal hygeine bus and get that right. And maybe meet that special someone.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 12:06 am

I keep ay least two pairs of shoes and wear them on alternate days, because I've found that when I wear the same shoes every day, my feet will stink. Socks should be changed once per day minimum, for the same reason.

Shirts should also be changed once a day, but I will sometimes wear one for two days if they're not visibly dirty. Jeans I will wear two or three days before washing. How often to change clothes is largely a matter of personal choice, some people feel the need to always wear clean clothes, while others can go several days without changing. If you want to attract a mate, I would say start each day with a clean set of clothes. You can't go wrong with clean clothes. Dirty or smelly clothes will make a potential date run to the hills.

Also, use deodorant/toothpaste/shampoo every day. Even if you don't notice a smell, other people might. Bad breath and smelly armpits are a huge turn-off.

Most important is to make sure that you change your socks and underwear every day without fail. These are the clothes that smell worst when you wear them too long, and the smell usually won't go away when you take a shower. Cologne is not a substitute for a shower and a clean set of clothes.

Feel free to IM me if you want to discuss this in a more private setting.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 12:15 am

psychedelic wrote:
I've been weight training for a while now and it's showing. Sometimes I still look funny, though. I'm using tighter fitting jeans and shirts. I need to work on my shirts. My hair is sometimes bad. I know it. There's other stuff wrong but I don't know what it is exactly. I just suspect it.

How frequently am I suppose to wear a shirt? jeans? shoes? How many pairs of shoes am I suppose to have and wear?

Of course my people skills suck so bad it's not even funny. If I get the looks right, though, I might get a sweet woman who will look past the immature behavior.

I have two pairs of shoes and two dress shoes.
You should wear clean clothes everyday, though if you're just around the house it's ok to wear the same clothes for a couple of days without washing them.
You should shower everyday, but washing your hair too often can ruin it. I wash it every couple of days.
How long is your hair? Short hair doesn't need much care. I just brush mine and add a hair spray to it and maybe a styling cream. I sometimes blow dry it and straighten it but that's for when I go out.
Because of water restrictions I actually shower every other day.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 12:29 am

i have to shower everyday or my hair gets greasy, but I don't. Can't help it, I get sidetracked with my interests.

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2009, 12:34 am

My hair is short. I wash it every day since it gets oily very quickly. I don't comb it, though. How would I learn how to comb it? Would I ask someone in a barber shop/salon? Do they usually get those questions?

I think I'll buy a new pair of shoes. I recently discovered that it's a good idea to have shoes that I use only for the gym. (And I've been working out for the last year and a half or so.)

I'm gonna have to buy more shirts and pants. I think I'll aim for seven of each.

Let's say I have a shirt that I used for one day this week. Would it be OK to wear it again the following week for one day? and again the week after that? and the week after that?...

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 2:43 am

Quote:
Let's say I have a shirt that I used for one day this week. Would it be OK to wear it again the following week for one day? and again the week after that? and the week after that?...

I'm assuming you mean without washing them (perfectly fine if you're doing laundry once a week)...

A shirt that's been worn once and sat for a week is even stinkier than one you wore twice... there's no getting out of doing laundry once a week...

I have trouble noticing things like wrinkly clothes, but other people do, so I make sure my laundry is neatly folded... it's a pain in the ass, but it's worth the effort... people (especially women) tend to make assumptions about you based on your general appearance, and about things you won't even think about...

on the other hand, if you want a woman who loves you wrinkles and all, then don't worry about wrinkles or stink, and eventually you'll meet a woman who's attracted to you who doesn't mind... be prepared to wait a loooong time for that....

As far as combing your hair, go into a moderately priced (not cheap)hair salon and tell the girl you want something new, and ask her to suggest something for you... If you ask how to comb and style your hair, they will be happy to tell you anything you want to know, and they won't think it's wierd. Make sure you tip her very well ($20 is good) and make sure you get her name and don't let anyone else cut your hair, use the same person every time you get a haircut... (if you don't like her for some reason, use a different hairstylist at a different salon, if you go to the same salon and ask for a different hairdresser, you'll start a catfight and the ensuing drama will look bad on your head)... once she realises you're a loyal customer and a good tipper, she will bend over backwards to make you look good...

LadyKathleen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

psychedelic wrote:

ok im a chick and i still have trouble with looking good even though i have a lot of catalogues for ideas and i took a fashion merchandising class in high school sometimes i have clueless days. I used to get sooo mad when my sisters teased me about it but now im like whateva

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:05 am

When I was in my early 30s and "between jobs" I went to the library and got out lots of books on grooming and style. Doing solid research really helped me a lot in terms of getting into the driver's seat and feeling like I had some control over this issue.

I switched from showering as little as possible (because of dry skin esp. in winter) to showering every day, and washing my hair daily, too. I also started wearing my clothes more often between washes, partly for financial reasons (laundry can be expensive when you're on welfare), partly because I realized that you can wear clothes more than once if you don't sweat much (esp. in winter). I do the sniff test on my shirts before wearing them a second time, but will wear my pants for a week or two before washing them. Most people will not be sniffing my crotch when we first meet. And the dogs I meet have never acted grossed out. So I guess I'm ok that way. Also, I wear skirts in warm weather which helps.

I can only afford one pair of footwear so that's all I wear, but I always change my socks and underwear after hiking or exercise.

If you're lifting weights, jeans will become too tight in the thighs at some point and you'll have to switch to chinos. It's a rite of passage.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:53 am

psychedelic wrote:

When I am for my own, I do not care and often wear shirts etc. for weeks. If need to be with other I have a simple method: If it's smells, it is ripe for the laundry. Because I never managed to iron a shirt within a reasonable time, I give those to a professional laundry, the rest I do for my own.

Some tricks: Buy only black socks and t-shirts, so you do not need to care about the colours and they can be safely washed with the blue jeans.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:08 pm

The shower thing... I used to let it slide once in a while because of interests, then I grew a habit of including it in a morning or evening routine (always switched up my routine for my life). Now, I rarely get to because I have kids, and the 2-year-old tries to hop in with me everytime I shower. So I have to wait till she's sleeping or if the husband (which he isn't that good at it) will keep her occupied. By the time one of those things happen, I'm so tired I'd rather sleep. But, I rarely go anywhere except a fast food drive thru or Walmart. I do shower, just not everyday. I will say the shower is more therapeutic and relaxing than a hygeine thing to me. It can't be a dirty shower. If it's aweful from previous owners (like a new place to rent), I use Kaboom (one time, a bottle and a half for one shower). Then I like scrubbing bubbles for my maintenance, and it's easy, like you could do it before the shower while you are in the shower, if you get the green squeezie thing and the sheets with Scrubbing bubbles in it that stick to it. But, there's something so relaxing about a hot shower in a clean tub. And, I know dudes that will take bubble baths once in a while. It either wakes you up for your day, or washes the day away (and I do use dial...their old ad...wash your day away with dial).

Anyway, 411 on beauty tips for dudes (it would be so much easier if I could just see you for this, but here's a go).

Skin. That's really important. If you sweat a lot, then you need to shower (at least a quick one) after every work out, or you might get a lot of body pimples. Also, make sure you eat enough nutrients and add some extra Vitamin E into your diet as that's best for hair, skin, and nails. To be honest, the best vitamin supplement to take is prenatal, but I don't know if there's any thing in it that dudes shouldn't be taking. But many pregnant women all the sudden grow healthy hair and nails and have a great complexion and think it's the pregnancy when really, it's the prenatal vitamins. Also get to know your skin. Oily or dry. It may be spots of both. Acne and pimples depends on the type on how to treat it.

Hair. Yea it's generally bad for hair to wash it daily. I know a lot of guys who don't actually wash their hair or they will use body soap on their hair, and that's bad. Use a real shampoo, even for short hair, or your head will stink or your scalp will flake. How often you wash your hair depends on the hair type and length. If you have a short cut, then you are probably safe to wash frequently. Your ethnic background also plays a role in the hair washing and treatment.

Body Structure. Yeah, us women worry about our figure, but dudes need to worry too. Protein is great for muscle building, so add that to your diet, but only if you are seriously working out. If you are just managing weight, protein is still better than carbs and fats, but just watch it as it may add some pounds. Remember though, muscle weighs more than fat, so you should be looking at your body rather than a scale. Exercise. First, you got cardio based workouts and muscle based ones. Best cardio and muscle workout all in one is swimming. 20 Olympic size pool lengths 3 times a week is good, or a couple miles a couple times a week in the ocean is best. I half it up, free style up, and breast stroke back type thing (when I did that). Either way, the crap in a gym is useless. You need a real cardio workout, so if you can't swim, then just jog. After jogging, you need to do some muscle training too. You are probably best to just do some pushups and situps, and maybe pull ups, after a good jog. You want to do those things while your heart rate is up or you are wasting your time. If you want to do body building, you will have to hit the weights, and free weights are best as they teach balance in addition to strength (as opposed to the crap they generally have in a new gym). Stretch before and after the work out. You don't want to injure yourself, but also, longer muscles are stronger muscles.

Oh, HYDRATION. It's important to drink lots of water, not gaterade and stuff like that. Perfect for your health, fitness, and complexion. If you are slightly dehydrated, that's when faces turn red easy.

STYLE. That depends on you. You don't have to give up your image to change styles. You can personalize any style to fit your personality, whether you go for the prep look or goth look. If you are trying to get girls, the first question you need to ask yourself is "What type of girl would I find suitable to be my wife and mother of my children?" Then try to think about the type of guy that girl is going to go after. If you are looking for substance, then looks have nothing to do with it outside of basic hygeine. Most girls like that rather have a man with substance, so they are looking for MR. Independent (the guy who pays his bills on time, holds a steady job, etc.).

Now, if you just want a one night stand, dress in some baggy jeans and a nice shirt (no bling except maybe a ring), hit the club and start buying some females who aren't ladies a drink (you can tell who they are because their outfits make Britney Spear's wardrobe seem conservative). Sometimes, you actually don't have to buy them drinks. Just find them already drunk on the dance floor and join in. They are usually the girls who think they are dancing but have no rhythm and just try to show off body parts. Easiest way to spot them are when they are two girls aching for some attention and try to do some girl on girl action just to get noticed, and if you find that while they are dressed like prostitutes, then you know they will do almost anything for some attention.

Oh yeah, shoes. It really doesn't matter how many you own. Just make sure you got a dress pair for special occasions, some tennis shoes for working out, and some boots for cold weather. oh yeah, and some flip flops for it's useful purpose around the house. Maybe some sandals for warm weather. Also, use white cotton socks to absorb foot sweat or you will produce foot odor, unless you work outdoors in cold weather, then you want black socks to keep you warm or in hot weather, you want it to keep the sweat there as if it's hot (like in Iraq), the sweat actually keeps you cool, in both cases, it's worth any extra foot odor. Oh and old beat up shoes aren't all that hot to look at, so keep em polished when applicable.

Sorry so long, and would edit, but my 2 year old is trying to type, climb on me, and cry, so I got to go this second.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:36 pm

Uh, I'm female but I wear a new shirt every day or every two days and a pair of trousers usually lasts for 5 days. I don't worry about wearing shirts repeatedly (after they've been washed obviously). If I only have 4-8 shirts I like, I'll just wear them.

I wash my hair daily too, no matter whether it's freakin short of long. I also check my hair several times a day to make sure I don't look like a complete mess.

I think this is pretty normal.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 3:10 pm

http://www.videojug.com/interview/findi ... -haircut-2

and of course always welcome:
http://www.videojug.com/tag/modern-manners

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 5:31 pm

psychedelic wrote:

I do wash once a week, on the weekend, so, just from that, anything that I only wear once before washing, which is most stuff, only gets worn once in a week. And for church and the weekly live music thing I do each week, if I remember what I wore the week before, I don't wear that. That is, I try not to wear the same thing two weeks in a row. But I don't sweat it. When I wear clothes only for a few hours (as in, if I changed in the evening), I only wear the same clothes two days in a row if I'm going to be seeing different people (other than my husband :)).

As for shoes, I don't get the impression that, other than women's dress shoes, that it really matters much, so long as the shoe is appropriate to the event. No problem wearing the same shoe each day.

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2009, 9:19 pm

jrknothead wrote:
Quote:
As far as combing your hair, go into a moderately priced (not cheap)hair salon and tell the girl you want something new, and ask her to suggest something for you... If you ask how to comb and style your hair, they will be happy to tell you anything you want to know, and they won't think it's wierd. Make sure you tip her very well ($20 is good) and make sure you get her name and don't let anyone else cut your hair, use the same person every time you get a haircut... (if you don't like her for some reason, use a different hairstylist at a different salon, if you go to the same salon and ask for a different hairdresser, you'll start a catfight and the ensuing drama will look bad on your head)... once she realises you're a loyal customer and a good tipper, she will bend over backwards to make you look good...

What is the approximate price range for a moderately priced salon? Is the $20 tip good for every visit or just the first one? How often would I need to go to get a hair cut?

Computerlove! The first site is really only applicable for women. The second link seems pretty good.

Tantybi and the rest: I'm still processing your info.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm

psychedelic wrote:
jrknothead wrote:
Quote:

What is the approximate price range for a moderately priced salon? Is the $20 tip good for every visit or just the first one? How often would I need to go to get a hair cut?

Computerlove! The first site is really only applicable for women. The second link seems pretty good.

Tantybi and the rest: I'm still processing your info.

I think $20 was the entire haircut, tip included, not just the tip.