Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

arnyswart
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2009, 5:12 am

I believe I am a 30 year old with asperger syndrome. I would like more information from you guys because I seem to get conflicting information.

Ok a bit about me:

I was a clumsy kid who got fixated on Dinosaurs, star terk, computer games, etc. I never really fit in anywhere, always taking the literal meaning of jokes. I ended up looking at the behaviour I followed and developed hundreds of rules that I abide by to make social interaction work and people not able to tell. These days the few people (15) who know me well think I am a little odd but are friends with me all the same.

I was always hyperactive as a kid and until 10-12 years of age had problems talking (because my thoughts were faster than my speech). By 10-12 I learnt what muscles to move properly and learnt to talk though years of speech pathology but I have to be careful of not lecturing others rather trying to read body language (which I have studied extensively) to know what people mean rather than what they say.

Saying that I am still an extremely lateral thinker, I often speak of conversations a few hours ago even though they are now out of context. I have ended up being sucessful in business and am said to be extremely intelligent. I have an almost photographic memory and can read 100 pages an hour.

What do you guys think? I am self diagnosed asperger as when I was a kid in Australia I was diagnosed with Autism. The physciatrist at the time recommended that I get institutionalised. My parents disagreed and specifically looked at the problems I had and employed professionals to help in the various aspects to improve my quality of life. This also means that it is extremely difficult to bring up the issues with my family as they do not accept a diagnosis of any type.

So the questions remain:

1. Do I have asperger?
2. Considering I have a fairly normal friend environment should I seek treatmet?
3. If so, what treatment is there and will it stop my lateral thinking as this is what has made me sucessful?
4. Advice is appreciated on other aspects that I have not considered.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:00 am

Just hang around here, have a look thru the archives, see what you think.

Welcome to WP.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:10 am

the way i am made me successful, too. why should i change anything? ok, my social life could be a little better. but you seem to be doing fine.

u do seem like an aspie. and since you've learned how to make the best out of it, be proud of yourself for the way you are.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2009, 7:23 am

You seem to fit the bill well enough. You seem to be able to use your intelligence to compensate for your lack of social intuition, which is something I've learned to do as well. You definitely display quite a few traits, and in all likelihood are an aspie with high intelligence. Of course, I'm a freshman in college, not a psychologist with a Ph.D.

As for treatment, unless there are difficulties with your way of thinking, such as depression, ADHD, and/or OCD, for example, there aren't really any treatment options available, asides from learning how to work around the disability parts of AS, which you indicate you have done to your satisfaction.

As someone who is on said medications, I can happily report that processing abilities associated with the unique thought processes of Asperger's are unaffected.

You might find some stimulating topics here on these forums; I would personally recommend frequenting these forums for your own entertainment and enlightenment. If you do, I offer some advice: please don't feed the trolls. And as someone who has overcome the social deficiencies of AS with success, you would be a valuable contributor to these forums helping others accomplish the same.

At any rate, welcome to WrongPlanet!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 7:27 am

Nice to meet you, arnyswart. :) 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:59 am

Welcome to WP!

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 10:12 am

arnyswart wrote:
1. Do I have asperger?

Could be - at least your statements sound very much in a way that you are "on the spectrum.

arnyswart wrote:
2. Considering I have a fairly normal friend environment should I seek treatmet?

For what? I you are happy in the situation you are in, why to change it. To improve your quality of live it is perhaps enough to understand your self.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I will certainly not try start a career as singer of Baroque Cantata, I know my voice. Knowing your strengths and weakness could only help to cope better with you environment, but when you already cope well, why to change anything? Becoming the "perfect human being" (what ever this type of human should be) is not only unrealistic, it is upright foolish.

Any treatment could help you in coping some situations, but you are 30 and that is no longer an age when you can adopt new behaviour pattern easily - and you wrote that cope well. So again: For what?

arnyswart wrote:
3. If so, what treatment is there and will it stop my lateral thinking as this is what has made me sucessful?

In my experience (and according to my knowledge) such patterns are to a high degree "hard-wired". Any therapy for Aspergers may will help you to act better with other people in social situation, but it will change not your mind.

Last edited by Dussel on 22 Jan 2009, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 12:11 pm

You seem to know yourself pretty well, and that's usually a good indicator.
Welcome to WP :D

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 1:56 pm

Welcome aboard Wrong Planet, arnyswart.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2009, 5:42 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Dollypony