Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:08 am

Apple wine is good, too, and sort of unusual. Only place I've actually found it was at a winery in the mountains of Virginia. It's popular in parts of Germany, too.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 7:35 am

twoshots wrote:
CelticRose wrote:
One's taste in wine is very subjective -- you can't take advice from anyone, just keep trying till you find out what you like.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but this is an a priori fact.

:lol:

Hey now, I like California wines.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 8:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I drank wine at communion, but that was my only experience with wine.

Tim! You have committed blasphemy! It is the blood of Christ :P

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 9:54 am

In 1998/99 me and a friend imported Spanish wines and cavas and had a little shop, 'Grand Bodega Española', in Amersfoort. Good days. Spain makes some fine wines, imo.
Lately I'm more into the German whites, like Gewürztraminer but also the way cheaper Spätlese I like. The fact that they are quite low of/on alcohol percentage, around 9%, for me is a plus also. Oh, not advocating(?) anything but if you like reds, the Spanish Valdepeñas area has some nice ones, imo.

Cheers. (anyway)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:02 am

Well, hic :drunken: here in France, :drunken: hic, there is no shortage of an unbelievably large choice of wines. Even some at a euro a bottle are excellent table wines. The French seem to drink wine like everyone else drinks water.

I have learned that price has little relation of the quality of the wine or to how posh the label is. I've bought expensive wines that were fit only for pouring down the sink.

As with some other things in life, there is a large snob value associated with some wines, more so than the quality of the wine deserves, and of course there are those who just like to flaunt their wealth by ordering 100 euro bottles of wine in the restaurant.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:31 am

^
D'accord, France has some beautiful wines also. And what you say about price/quality is absolutely right. No one on one correlation there. Still amazes me a bit (in the past) seeing locals bringing there empty jerrycans to the premises and filling them up with (fine?) table wine for rel. little money. Hmmm, wine in plastic, pas chic mais soit.

Santé.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

I like red wine, especially Charles Shaw merlot. White wine tastes either like water or syrup and smells either like diesel fuel, wet dog, or cat pee.

HaliaTotheres
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2009, 3:03 pm

My only actual drinking experiences (besides the 1 sip i had on my 21st) are our annual trip up to traverse city (i live in michigan) to tour the wineries and taste. It's wonderful the variety you can experience when you go on such a trip. I personally like dry champagnes and gewurztraminer (Mm! with chocolate!). Sangria however, is Oh so good! As well as cherry wine. I think it's funny when people (I'm not talking about regular people, I'm talking about the know it all types that if you bring up a subject, they know everything and more about it so I don't mean this in an offending way) that think the older the wine is, the better. Truth is, most wine should be consumed close to the purchase date :).