Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2009, 8:34 pm

My naive experimentation continues...

Don't drink anything from 2005... I've got a mostly-full bottle of Merlot here and I don't think I'll be finishing it. It's just awful.

I knew I should have gotten some beer instead.

Is all grocery store wine this bad, or just most of it? How old does a wine have to be before it's relatively drinkable?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 8:46 pm

- wrote:

Don't drink anything from 2005... I've got a mostly-full bottle of Merlot here and I don't think I'll be finishing it. It's just awful.

Is all grocery store wine this bad, or just most of it? How old does a wine have to be before it's relatively drinkable?

Grocery store wine isn't always the best quality. It may just be the type of wine you're drinking. Do you usually drink Merlot? You should definitely be able to drink a 2005 and not have it taste off. I'm not a fan of reds. I really like white wine though because it's supposed to be served chilled (I don't like room temperature drinks) and I find that the taste isn't as strong. A white chardonnay is my favourite.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

- wrote:

Most grocery store stuff is intended to be drunk fairly quickly, so the age isn't really relevant. I've found the most important determining factor is where it's from. I drink largely bargain priced wine (less than $15), but I think the real key is don't buy from California. South America, especially Argentina, produces fabulous wines for a cheap price. Malbecs are usually great, although recently I had a literally $6 Sangiovese blend from Argentina that was better than 90% of the stuff I get from Cali and Australia. Although if you're dealing over $20, I really can't help you.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:40 pm

One's taste in wine is very subjective -- you can't take advice from anyone, just keep trying till you find out what you like.

For myself, I prefer Italian wines, I don't like French wines, and I don't have a preference regarding anywhere else.

I like full-bodied, dry red wines with a lot of character -- Cabernet Sauvignon and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo are my favorites.
For white wines I like a dry crisp wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or a Brut Champagne (or sparkling wine).

Sweet wines make me ill.

I've found that Gallo is usually drinkable, but not very exciting.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:51 pm

- wrote:

smell the cork, maybe it was rotten

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:52 pm

I like Chardonnay best (Chilean, right?). I also like Rose, but I hardly ever get to have that cos Mum doesn't like it.

y es como un semestre"

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

Try a Gewurztraminer. It's white and sweet but not sickening sweet.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2009, 5:39 pm

I take it back. It's drinkable. Not great, but drinkable.

Just ignore my opinion, it was my first wine.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:40 pm

I drank wine at communion, but that was my only experience with wine.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 6:06 pm

- wrote:

Keep trying. :) It's all about the experience. There is such a variety out there.

Raptor - I love a good Gewurztraminer. My favourite is from Pelee Island Winery. It's a Canadian company.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 7:05 pm

it tastes like how tom cat wee smells.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2009, 7:23 pm

Mm, tom cat wee.

I think I actually know what you're talking about. I've noted a slight similarity between the smell of white grape juice and cat urine before.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 8:00 pm

There's a wine called "Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush." It's actually really good :lol:

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 9:49 pm

- wrote:

I've found a lot of wine where my initial reaction is "yuck!" frequently develops much better as it airs.

Interestingly, the term "cat pee" is in common usage to describe the flavor of some white wines (wikipedia lists it as a usual description for the flavor of sauvignon blanc). I've never found the appeal of whites, and with "cat pee" and "gasoline" as flavors, I can't say I'm exactly enticed.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 9:52 pm

- wrote:

Sounds like you didn't let it "breathe" enough at first.

Red wines need to oxidize a little before they're drinkable. After opening the bottle for the first time, pour a glass of wine, then let it and the open bottle sit for at least 15 minutes. Then drink the wine and recork the bottle.

FYI, be careful when pouring out the last of the wine in the bottle -- there may be sediment at the bottom (dregs).

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:15 pm

CelticRose wrote:
One's taste in wine is very subjective -- you can't take advice from anyone, just keep trying till you find out what you like.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, but this is an a priori fact.