Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2009, 2:21 pm

I have had highlighting done once and years of perms, but I know nothing of hair coloring. I have dark hair and am thinking about a light color for the summer just to have something different. Don't know if I want to pay the high prices of a salon so can someone give me some advice and help?
My hair is fine and has thinned since having a baby. I am 35 +++... so Im sure picking a color will be different at my age :?

Thanks

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 2:46 pm

If you find hair dye at a store, I reccommend avoiding perminate ones. Some stores do sell alot of perminate ones, but redyeing isn't easy because you have to accuratly touch up the new grown spots, and not the old dyed areas. (I simply am not able to do that. I don't know how some do it.)

I once dyed my hair, trying to make it a different color, more than twice and it screewed everything up. The colors drove me crazy to the point that I shaved my head bald. Which, did my female image some real grief. ( :eew: not doing that again) Mind you, i used perminate those three times. Besides, the temporary colors let you try on different shades.

If you don't want to have to clean up dye in your bathroom, you could try looking for some color hair sprays, even though they come in limited selections. You could have someone else do them to, so you are less likely to mess up. I think to make highlights, you could put on the dye heavier on some strands than others.

Just my thoughts

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2009, 3:32 pm

My mom is a professional. :D

Essentially, going from light hair to dark is very easy, but dark to light is much more difficult. I'd suggest the salon route, but if that isn't possible, here is what I'd suggest:

1. If you are having difficulty with thin hair, avoid harsh bleach. Off the shelf dying kits should be fine.
2. Stay away from anything gold/red/yellow toned (dark hair is easy to accidentally turn orange)
3. Try to find something with a blue/violet base
4. If your hair is naturally red toned at all, or you can't find something with the right base, pick up a blue/violet protein filler to add to the dye.
5. Start close to the scalp then comb it through the rest of your hair. Roots take longer.
6. Get a heavy-duty conditioner. Going lighter is damaging to your hair. I'd recommend a few days of hot oil treatments or buying a tub of this icky-looking yellow stuff called Cholesterol (even wal-mart carries it), it works wonders.
7. Don't expect your hair to come out the same shade that is shown on the swatch. It will probably come out as some combination of that color and your natural color.

Hope this helps.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2009, 8:35 pm

Hmm a bigger undertaking then I thought. Will have to think about this one.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:51 pm

Anytime I have ever done anything to my hair, in terms of dying it, I have always regretted it....All it means is that you will keep having to mess with it more and more down the line.

If I were you, I would look into natural methods for adding highlights.

I like using henna. It is all-natural, makes your hair seem thicker and shinier, I like the way that it smells, it washes out naturally so there is no need for touch-ups.

It will not lighten your hair, but it brightens it, and you could maybe use a natural method to lighten your hair in conjunction with the henna.

I would do research online and stay away from the scary chemicals.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 4:04 pm

I love my hair golden brown with blonde highlights. I think it looks awesome. I have really long hair and it is layered but I'm like you poopling I can't dye my hair that much because it drys it out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 4:45 pm

Pook wrote:
I have had highlighting done once and years of perms, but I know nothing of hair coloring. I have dark hair and am thinking about a light color for the summer just to have something different. Don't know if I want to pay the high prices of a salon so can someone give me some advice and help?
My hair is fine and has thinned since having a baby. I am 35 +++... so Im sure picking a color will be different at my age :?

Thanks

How dark is your hair? I would reccomend a salon for lightening hair.. as it can go so wrong. I'd go with foils, you don't have to get a full head, just through the top and that won't cost as much at a salon. You could also opt for clip in hair extensions, they will bulk up your hair and add highlights.. but they would be a pain to put in. :)

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2009, 10:31 pm

Never done the hair extension thing. Do they really blend well with your own hair? Volume. SOunds great :)

Oh and my hair is dark with a red tint in it for HB who asked.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 2:32 am

I dye my hair light ash blond. Someone told me that if I wear bright colors, have a bright hair color and wear interesting or sparkly jewelry, I will look outgoing even if I'm not. I'm finding it is true.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2019, 5:24 pm

Before my apartment complex caught fire and I had to move back in with my parents, my hair was pink. VIVID pink, just like the singer, Ariel Bloomer. My mom never would let me bleach and dye it. The smoke from the fire took out the pink and she won't let me dye it back because she thinks I will look "like a drug addict".