Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2009, 12:12 pm

I am seeing my psychiatrist next week about my ADD, my CPN has mentioned the drugs Reboxetine (Edronax) and Atomoxetine (Strattera) I just wondered if any one else takes drugs for ADD.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:19 pm

I am on Concerta, which is methylphenidate (ritalyn basicly, in a 12 hour slow release form).

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm

I guess this is off-topic but even though I don't take drugs I am wondering if I have ADD as I show some symptoms and I got a high mark on an online ADD test.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 12:34 pm

My brother and his daughter both have ADHD.
My brother never took any medication, but his daughter is, I forget the name of it, it really helps her focus and stay calm.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 1:28 pm

My then 8 year old was on the Strattera, it wasn't worth the side effects for us, but remember that everyone's system handles meds differently.

It takes a MONTH to work correctly, and it made an already anxious little boy TERRIFIED of things that were minor annoyances before. He was sure that our car was going to fly off the side of a parking deck and we were going to die when we parked above ground level. He cried out of terror in the elevator to get to the doctors office (normally he tells me which button to push and jumps up on the little railing to sit while we go up.) I had to half carry him off the elevator.

For the positives, um...? It might have made school work a little easier if he wasn't terrified that the school bell for lunch might be 20 seconds late and that he would miss eating and die of starvation...

It takes a MONTH to get in your system, but the nurse told me it would take 2 days to get it out. SOOOO, don't miss 2 doses in a row...
---------

I think my cousin (early 20s) was also on this, it worked well for him but I think it made his nose bleed so they tried something else. (lots of things make his nose bleed though, it seems.)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 1:41 pm

I was diagnosed with it in 2004, but obviously its B.S. now, since I have A.S. Ritalin, Adderall, both sucked. I refused to take them. Risperdal was nice.

Now I'm VERY anti-drug for "ADD". I don't think these drugs should be legal for use in children. They're just too dangerous. But hey, whatever toxins float your boat. :)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 1:56 pm

I've seen people who've claimed that they can't function properly without ritalin.

Are people with ADD unable to concentrate? I was pretty sure I didn't have ADD, but this was primarily because I feel that even though I'm easily distractible, if there are no distractions then I can concentrate pretty well.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2009, 3:06 pm

I use Strattera, and it helps me with concentration, impulse control and procrastination.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:11 pm

Vimse wrote:
I use Strattera, and it helps me with concentration, impulse control and procrastination.

My little guy is on Strattera and it's been a great experience. It took about 2 weeks for it to take effect. For us, it was Ritalin that was the awful experience. An hour after dosage he was screaming, crying, and self abusing. That's why we skipped trying Concerta. But Strattera has had no side effects at all.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:23 pm

I was on a too-low-dose of Ritalin, and then got switched to a powerful dose of ADDerall XR.

It made me focus even harder on my obsessions and become even more repetative with my repetative behavior...I lost a lot of weight, and eventually had a pretty severe mental breakdown that caused me to completely alter the course of my life and drop everything and move to another city.
My perception was all screwy. I was not used to processing such intense emotions..

One moment, it would seem like my social anxiety was alleviated, the next minute I would be experiencing the most suicidal-feeling meltdown feeling I have ever felt.

But maybe I am blaming too much on the meds. I was in an unstable state of mind before I got on the meds in the first place. I had felt I was at my wit's end in many ways for a while. I had felt completely overwhelmed from running my venue and completely inept at doing all of the things that were expected of me. I felt I could go not further without some form of assistance...hence my pursuit of ADD meds...and the rest is history.

Currently I take a low-grade diet pill now. It helps me just enough. I would not mind occasional access to ADD meds. I am probably stable enough now to handle them.