I'm a huge computer geek, but no way to actually afford much

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2009, 7:26 pm

So, I'm a huge computer geek and I really have no way to afford all the computers I want to build. My current job only pays $10/hr, is this considered high for a first job working at home or what? Should I try and find another job? I have no degree, but I do know a lot about computers and stuff. Like that matters though...I need some help trying to figure out how to fund my hobby/geekiness but still move out -_-. My parents will not let me move until I get a car, even though I have an Honda, they last a while right? It's only got like 167k miles on it 1991. It should last a few more years right?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:56 pm

erm...that's 18 years old. I'd definitely have someone check out the car before you spend money on it.

As for computers, depends on what you want to do. If you just need a PC (or Mac), you can go used; Goodwill, other places like that sometimes have computers for a steal. Check Craig's list, ebay, etc.

Plus, there's a computer forum here; go check it out.

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2009, 9:47 am

I mean I'm a geek, I love building them, etc. I have no idea how I built the current one, but it took me like 5 months to piece the parts together and it ran me about $1,800 total. By far the most expensive one I've built. But building it has gotten me even more hooked on computer building and I'm already planning another one. I also multibox World of Warcraft. It's owning multiple accounts and playing them at the same time. (Blizzard knows about it, it's all legal for them, dual-boxing.com if you wanna check it out.)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:17 am

Check this site out

CompTIA

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:55 am

to answer your question about the car, i'd say it's got at least a few years left on it. i've got a 1992 accord with close to 250,000km on it, my mom has a '97 with over 350,000k, and my sister has an '89 with close to 200,000k on it. it's pretty common for those cars to last up to over 300,000k without too much work other than general maintenance.

and for a first job that's pretty good. most people get a minimum wage job at first. are you in the US or canada? i don't know how that would be in the US, but in canada that's not bad for a first job, minimum wage is just over 8$/hr.

i was in the same situation as you when i was in high school. i was really obsessed with cars but i didn't have the time, money, or equipment to really get into an automotive hobby.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 11:56 am

If you are only 18 then you can't expect to get loads of money for your first job, just wait until you can get new jobs later on but don't forget that the economy is not great at the moment so you may need to wait for a bit.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 12:06 pm

I'm curious as to which type of engine is in there. Either OHC or OHV. I say this because with age, the fantastic timing belt issue comes up. Some cars just have rods operating the in and out valves, newer engines use a belt which is made of rubber and reinforced with some fibre glass. I'm not sure what the recommendations are for the procedure in your country but the average here is either 72,000miles/5years or earlier at 36,000/3years. Unfortunately, people seem to go by mileage ONLY which is a shame as I'm on a couple of car forums and see this a lot. It's a major problem as if the belt should break in service, the valves will stop working and the force of the piston crown will hit the wider surface of the valve forcing it back up and bending the valve. THIS is where the costs are as the head has to come off and new valves will need to be ground in. The cost for a garage to repair can be high compared to doing yourself.

The true is of all cars, if they are looked after properly and serviced when they are supposed to and have the parts replaced/serviced at the correct times, the car should last up until the point someone writes it off. Collisions, etc.

People, however think an older car is more expensive than a newer car, but I believe this isn't true. Parts DO wear, tyres and fuel do not last forever. Bearings wear to save wear on the components they are inside. No bearings would mean a higher repair bill.

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2009, 12:27 pm

I've already replaced the timing belt at 120k miles I believe it was. I've had brake issues, but I think that's just because of the way I drive. Also had the transmission replaced, again because of how I drive I think.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 12:29 pm

BryceEason wrote:
So, I'm a huge computer geek and I really have no way to afford all the computers I want to build. My current job only pays $10/hr, is this considered high for a first job working at home or what? Should I try and find another job? I have no degree, but I do know a lot about computers and stuff. Like that matters though...I need some help trying to figure out how to fund my hobby/geekiness but still move out -_-. My parents will not let me move until I get a car, even though I have an Honda, they last a while right? It's only got like 167k miles on it 1991. It should last a few more years right?

BryceEason,
why not offer to make up computers for people-eg,family and similar,and advertise self through an advert in a shop window-dads boss [they do warehouse stuff for carlsberg and other alcoholic drinks] used to do this-he built computers for people when he wasnt at work,or worked on his own but he had to gave it up when he went blind for a while through undiagnosed diabetes,he installed linux for am on previous computers am had and never charged for help,guess if are going to build for others though dont do it for free as will get too many then.

it sounds like that may be good for self cause its building computers,only thing is are not getting to keep them.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 1:12 pm

BryceEason wrote:
So, I'm a huge computer geek and I really have no way to afford all the computers I want to build. My current job only pays $10/hr, is this considered high for a first job working at home or what? Should I try and find another job? I have no degree, but I do know a lot about computers and stuff.

At first: Get a degree!

There are reasonable paid job in IT around, but you need in the first place a good education. If you really like to play with real computers, than try get some training on Mainframes, VAX and Unix. Assembling PC for home or office doesn't pay well and playing support for secretaries neither.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 1:32 pm

$10 is good for a first job! (Depending on where you live, I guess) I didn't get paid nearly that much in my first job :lol:

I think the car has got some years left too. Is there anything that you know is wrong with it? I think it's OK but you have to be prepared to spend money on repairs. It is old after all. Then again, if something goes really wrong, the cost of repairs may end up being as much as a new car! So weigh your options carefully.

PS. If you have enough money and are responsible enough to live on your own, your parents don't have to 'let you.'

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 2:57 pm

Keith wrote:
I'm curious as to which type of engine is in there. Either OHC or OHV. I say this because with age, the fantastic timing belt issue comes up. Some cars just have rods operating the in and out valves, newer engines use a belt which is made of rubber and reinforced with some fibre glass.

it would be an ohc inline 4, that's all honda offered in their cars in '91. pushrod engines have just about been phased out completely for the past several years. the only people who've used them at all in the last decade are the americans, and that's usually only with their big v8's and such, which are now just about all OHC.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 3:13 pm

...exactly how many computers do you plan on building? o_O

I built a decent computer when I was on $8 an hour. Certainly wasn't $1500, I think it was around $600...would probably cost even less than that if you're just building them to run WoW.

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2009, 3:56 pm

I can never have to many computers. I like to be able to build one anytime I feel like it really, but that won't be happening for a good while.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:51 pm

I've done home-builts since I built the first one (286, 2 30-meg hard drives, and 640k of memory. For 1988, that was sweet...;)