Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:11 am

Autism Vaccine Story

I think it is fantastic news I am just so happy right now ^_^

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 6:11 am

Ehh...? You're happy that small levels of mercury don't poison children?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:29 am

Silvervarg wrote:

Happy that the conspiracy nutters will be forced to shut up and people will no longer put children in danger by refusing to vaccinate them against harmful diseases.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:11 am

Orwell wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Happy that the conspiracy nutters will be forced to shut up and people will no longer put children in danger by refusing to vaccinate them against harmful diseases.

as long as there's one case of autism in a thousad there will be people who assume the vaccine is at fault, plus not everyone who was given the vaccine was tested so there may still be doubt.

i'm glad more evidence shows vaccines do more good than harm but not everyone out there are willing to listen to reason.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:40 am

I wish it would shut the conspiracy theorists up, but unfortunately, post hoc ergo propter hoc is alive and well. (For those unfamiliar with it, the argument goes like so:

1) Many vaccines are scheduled around a child's 2nd birthday, give or take.

2) Symptoms of autism become undeniable around the age of 2 (often interpreted as a "regression", although I have yet to verify a case of actual regression - usually, it's just a failure to follow the parents' projected progress).

3) Therefore, the vaccines must cause the autism, because if something happens first, it must be the cause, right? No possible coincidence of scheduling?)

And yes, I am indeed happy that small amounts of compounds related to mercury (note: not mercury itself, any more than water is an acid just because it contains oxygen) don't poison children. Anything that doesn't poison children is good to hear about, don't you agree?

(Especially given today's news about potential mercury toxicity in corn syrup: story.)

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 12:35 pm

Eh, a more appropriate title would be "Another nail in the Jenny McCarthy vaccine conspiracy coffin".

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 8:56 pm

But flu shots are still pointless. Every time I got a flu shot I got the flu.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:14 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:

Please don't tell me trying to imply flu shots give you the flu? Perhaps you just weak against the flu virus or something like that.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 4:17 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
I wish it would shut the conspiracy theorists up, but unfortunately, post hoc ergo propter hoc is alive and well. (For those unfamiliar with it, the argument goes like so:

1) Many vaccines are scheduled around a child's 2nd birthday, give or take.

2) Symptoms of autism become undeniable around the age of 2 (often interpreted as a "regression", although I have yet to verify a case of actual regression - usually, it's just a failure to follow the parents' projected progress).

3) Therefore, the vaccines must cause the autism, because if something happens first, it must be the cause, right? No possible coincidence of scheduling?)

And yes, I am indeed happy that small amounts of compounds related to mercury (note: not mercury itself, any more than water is an acid just because it contains oxygen) don't poison children. Anything that doesn't poison children is good to hear about, don't you agree?

(Especially given today's news about potential mercury toxicity in corn syrup: story.)

Ahh, I'd never heard the vaccine-theory, so I didn't get the point. ^^ I thought you meant the vaccine against Autism. :D
And the body can't absorb pure mercury anyway. :)

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 5:03 am

philosopherBoi wrote:

Please don't tell me trying to imply flu shots give you the flu? Perhaps you just weak against the flu virus or something like that.

i think history_of_psychiatry means that the shots should protect you from the flu but fail, so rather than causing flu they're simply not taking effect.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 11:04 am

Yes, inflammation at the injection site, fever, body aches, and other flu-like symptoms can be triggered by a flu shot. It is not a viral infection, it is an immune response to killed viral proteins.

Which points to an alternative theory - while mercury in vaccines doesn't cause problems, immune activation may. There are a number of medically recognized reactions to vaccines (most prominent is Guillan-Barre syndrome, aka "acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy" , etc) - these cause neurological damage. Who is to say that there is not 1 or more types of unrecognized chronic inflammatory neuropathy activated by infections or vaccines?