I'm a huge computer geek, but no way to actually afford much

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

So, I'm a huge computer geek and I really have no way to afford all the computers I want to build. My current job only pays $10/hr, is this considered high for a first job working at home or what? Should I try and find another job? I have no degree, but I do know a lot about computers and stuff. Like that matters though...I need some help trying to figure out how to fund my hobby/geekiness but still move out -_-. My parents will not let me move until I get a car, even though I have an Honda, they last a while right? It's only got like 167k miles on it 1991. It should last a few more years right?

Second Reply from other post:

I mean I'm a geek, I love building them, etc. I have no idea how I built the current one, but it took me like 5 months to piece the parts together and it ran me about $1,800 total. By far the most expensive one I've built. But building it has gotten me even more hooked on computer building and I'm already planning another one. I also multibox World of Warcraft. It's owning multiple accounts and playing them at the same time. (Blizzard knows about it, it's all legal for them, dual-boxing.com if you wanna check it out.)

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2009, 6:41 pm

If you would like to discuss further in this field of building computers and growing by some intake of fresh air on the subject, you can check out OC FORUMS. They have good discussions and you can register there for free.

I'm a member there myself, but I haven't been active for months due to other interests and things which must be done.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 7:31 pm

You can get used computers and parts rather easily if you have connections to your local circle of nerds. Most people do not realize how much fun you can have with a 12 year old laptop and a damn small linux.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2009, 9:58 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
You can get used computers and parts rather easily if you have connections to your local circle of nerds. Most people do not realize how much fun you can have with a 12 year old laptop and a damn small linux.

My Powerbook which I have at home belongs to mac models which was produced in 1999. I started with Debian Sarge on it, then went on to Debian Etch and at the present I have Debian Lenny on it.

Before Debian Sarge I ran Debian Slink (used on the m68k processor) and later began using Debian Potato (used on the PPC processor with an Amiga4000).

Linux is fun. :)