Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 7:58 am

i can not help smirking inappropriately sometimes.
also i occasionally burst into laughter at serious times because i know i am not allowed to do it, and because i see things in a cartoonish way when other people are serious.

the most common trigger for me to smirk is when a boss is reprimanding me if i am at the office. also if police have a stern look on their face and peer at my face to gauge me when they book me for speeding.

when i was a kid at school, when teachers got cranky, i could not help but smirk at the floor near their feet. i tried to force the expression from my face but a residual slight smirk remained.
if they noticed the smirk, it would accelerate their anger, and their face would become contorted and furrowed like a cartoon. then i would start to feel the urge to laugh and i tried to suppress it by pressing my soft palate up so no air could get out from my nose or mouth.
but the laughter undulations (bodily bouncing motion) of my body grew and then i just burst into hysterical laughter and i often ran off until i could calm down and see through the tears in my eyes and regain my breath.
it did not just happen when a teacher was angry with me. if some other kid got into trouble, i also smirked, and before long the teacher was more angry with me than the original kid, even though the original kid was making trouble and i did nothing but smirk.
"what are you smirking at lad?" they would ask. i could not say anything because i was on the brink of laughter so i just shook my head and shrugged (still smirking), and they got quite disgruntled.

---------

another reason for inappropriate smiling is when i am required urgently to seem reverend.

like at my nephews funeral when we we waiting for the hearse to get there, people were being reverend and consoling each other.
my niece came over to me and wanted whatever she wanted (i do not really know), but everyone mingles and exchanges sad sentiments and it was my turn to express some.
as she was walking toward me, i thought "oh goodness. i wonder what this will turn out like. i had better be careful and solemn."
then i thought "she is barking up the wrong tree looking for help or solace from me. like running into the butchers and asking for a dozen roses. oh dear"
then that thought made me smirk and when she got there i was already fighting laughter.
when she got there i was giggling in a stifled way and she saw it and stopped and i said "ahhhh i just got a joke that someone errr...." and she said "yeah right" and walked away.
she would have hated me if she knew the real reason i laughed.

-------
i was at a presentation in queensland and we won the contract. afterward, me and my female boss were in the office of the manager who was going to sign the contract. he had talked perfectly up until that point, then he launched into a major stuttering event.

he said "ok then. it all looks excellent as far as i can see. i'll get janet to draft the terms and we shoo shoo shoo we shooo shoooo shooo er shooo shooo shooo..."
i immediately grunted as there was no way i could stop what was going to happen and i ran from his office and then exploded into laughter just outside his door and ran outside to cool off. my boss was enraged at me afterward.

i have no derogatory thoughts about people who stutter and i do not know why i laughed. it was just that he went from being a "silver haired dapper eloquent executive" to "porky pig" in the blink of an eye and it derailed my decorum.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2009, 11:27 am

this is a common symptom of aspeger's; ive read it in several places.

it know it LOOKS awful- my father's wife died in his arms of a freak brain hemmorage in the place they met, and held their wedding reception, 11 months after they married. im smiling now!! ! and its weird, because i can usually cry BUCKETS at the drop of a hat- but at some things i cant react properly (grinning over tragic death is clearly NOT approiate!!)- eg- dead step mother. and i was, and am, genuinly sad- but every time i think of it like that- i smile.

it makes me sad, but i cant show it. its just more a/s randomness....

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 11:33 am

deleted (because it was a silly question).

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2009, 9:07 pm

I sometimes start smiling and giggling when I talk about something really scary. I think everyone here though including me has the very normal affliction of nervous laughter.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:15 am

ahaha just found this thread. I was constantly berated by teachers/parents due to this. If someone were to tell me that a relative died my first reaction is to smile. I also find myself smiling during uncomfortable social situations which makes me feel more uncomfrtable since I despise my smile. This in turn makes me smile all the more. Its an involuntary thing - I seem to have absolutely no control over it

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:31 am

i dont usually naturally smile, but when i do, its at the worst time of a social situation.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:38 am

Definitely a symptom of autism. I've done that since I was 5. I smiled after I did something bad. After the teacher told me not to, I figured it was never okay to smile.

Raspberry
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm

When I'm nervous or frightened I smile. I can't stop smiling, it just happens, but it makes people mad because they think I'm not taking them seriously or I'm mocking them. It always used to get on my mom's nerves.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

Nope. I can't say I've ever had that problem.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 3:32 am

Although I don't do this myself, I know many people on the spectrum who do this. I think it's due to a difficulty with hiding inner trains of thought from the overall situation one is in and thus expressing these thoughts out of context. I've always found this fascinating because even when I was a kid and had many ASD traits, I never had this symptom.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Yeah, my mum comes into my room while I'm emailing my friend, so while she's talking about whatever, I'm laughing at summat my friend said. Well, I ain't gonna stop doing what I'm doing to listen to my mum talk about boring crap that doesn't even affect me, am I?!

Sometimes "mums talking about boring crap" is the most important stuff we could listen to in our lives. :idea:

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.