Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2009, 10:44 pm

Add me to the list :? I have varied interests and have been told I'm a good problem solver and analytical thinker, but I have learning disabilities. I have dyscalculia and I can't balance a checkbook nor can I absorb verbal instruction as I need written detail.
So depending on the situation I may appear reasonably intelligent or like a total dunce :roll:

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

It depends on the context. As per 'intellectual smart,' I would say that I am actually much smarter than people realize. I just have a problem verbalizing it extemporaneously.

Socially, on the other hand, I actually can come off to strangers as smarter than I am, by relying on rehearsed material (so long as I am well-rested and in a comfortable environment). Of course, I probably still seem like the awkward, intellectual type in this situation, but I may be able to mask the fact that I am actually completely clueless.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 1:21 am

When I meet people, I am usually under-estimated because of the way I speak. I usually stutter, and fumble, when searching for the right words to say, although I am usually able to think quite clearly. Even when I write, I have trouble. My mind don't seem to form complete sentences, only strings of relevant imformation, which makes it troublesome putting my ideas down in a way that sounds intelligent. I try not to let it bother me though. I figure, at least I know what I'm talking about, or trying to say. :wink: :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 5:14 am

Around the academically lesser achieving students in my last school I always appeared intelligent, although I guess that might of been a comparison thing. Higher achieving students genuinely thought I was ret*d. Teachers opinions varied. In my new school I think I come off as an intellectual at first. Then people get to know me a little and I have no idea :?

Although personally I don't think it's fair to access peoples intelligence. Infact I don't think it's possible to tell how smart someone is unless you are actually a genious.

Last edited by Prosser on 30 Jan 2009, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 5:29 am

For me, it goes both ways. People who don't know me at all either think I'm incredibly stupid, because I can't hold a conversation, mumble, stutter occasionally, look around when people talk to me, etc.
Some people who don't know me also assume that I'm incredibly smart. For some reason, being quiet seems to make some people think you're incredibly smart, while it makes others think you're an idiot.

As for people who do know me, I think they sometimes expect too much of me.. thinking (assuming) I can handle something I can't & not understanding that I'm unable to do certain things.
Also, some people who know me think I'm an idiot, for the very same reasons people who don't know me... my inability to speak coherently at most times, in most situations.

I, personally, consider myself to be a very smart person, who has the capacity to be much smarter, if I only had some help with understanding & doing certain things.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 7:18 am

That is interesting. There appears to be some link between the way people speak and the implied intelligence. I can speak fairly well, but sometimes it can be a bit slow and stuttery. I do often get asked to speak louder, but sometimes I am too loud.

This is silly because how you speak can have little barring at all on your overall intelligence.

When I am at my worst I am talked to like a little child, and when I am my best they can think I am a genius.

I do have cognitive deficits that most people wouldn't believe are as bad as they are going by my speech, but it is all on record just not easy to explain.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 10:40 am

Yesterday, Mum was driving and trying to find the clinic where my appointment was, and she said, "Look and see a place that looks like where we have to go," and I was like, "I've never seen the place before!" and she got mad at me and said that she meant to look for a sign, and that I'm supposed to be intelligent. What does intelligence have to do with it if she won't speak clearly?! :roll:

y es como un semestre"

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 12:02 pm

One thing that I noticed is that for Key Stage 3 I got a level 7 or 8 for all the subjects I did tests for, but I only got a level 4 or 5 for all the subjects that the teachers gave based on how intelligent they think I am. (level 8 is the highest you can get and level 4 is lowest) Coincidence? I don’t think so. For once I axially want to do tests.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Yesterday, Mum was driving and trying to find the clinic where my appointment was, and she said, "Look and see a place that looks like where we have to go," and I was like, "I've never seen the place before!" and she got mad at me and said that she meant to look for a sign, and that I'm supposed to be intelligent. What does intelligence have to do with it if she won't speak clearly?! :roll:

Yeah she should have told you to look for a sign if that's what she wanted!

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 6:20 pm

I'm never quite sure if I come across as a pretentious know-it-all or a genuinely smart guy. I'd say both are somewhat misleading, but people are more likely to say the former to my face while I've heard of the latter being said behind my back. There's a fine line, I guess.