Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

comeonandseeme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2006, 8:12 am

I hate small-talk, yet in England it's quite difficult to get much beyond it. People go on and on about the weather and they expect you to remember all about them and their families and pets etc and enquire after them at length. It drives me crazy!

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2006, 4:15 pm

Urgh, small talk bores me! I don't see the point of it, really....

etron1485
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2006, 8:36 pm

Quote:
I got a book for Xmas entitled The Fine Art of Small Talk, by Debra Fine

Debra Fine is the bane of my existence! My mother has the tapes and has forced me to listen to them on long car trips - she is convinced I just don't know how to small talk. Not true, I *CAN* small talk (it ends up being like 20 questions, but i manage), I just HATE it, everything about it! Also, like someone said it gets to a point where I can go no further, my rehearsed questions run out and I'm defenseless, uninterested, and completely drained of social energy.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:40 pm

Kiss_my_AS wrote:
Small talk often feels like a waste of time, or rather a pseudo-way of spending time with eachother.

I agree. I've always viewed small talk as an irritant; a nuisance; non-essential; the equivalent of winter without snow; summer without sun; clouds without rain; pis*ing without pee. (sorry)
I am not interested in it but will, on extrememly rare occasions when forced by uncontrollable circumstances, bound and gagged at gunpoint, with a knife to my throat, and nuclear missiles with coordinates fixed on me, will engage in the small talk. Even admitting it makes me feel like a phony; a liar; a fake; a hypocrite; a scoundrel; a dishonest dirtbag; a total sham; a bamboozler; an "I couldn't-care-less-what-you're-saying-but-I-am-faking-you-out-by-small- talking-to-ya" loser!! !

I guess I feel rather strongly about that.