Has anyone attempted to divide Aspergers into subtypes?

Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:34 pm

LabPet wrote:
Morgana wrote:
I was thinking about this thread today, and I was wondering- IS anybody actually researching AS at the moment? I mean, we´re speculating about it, but I wonder if anybody is studying it? It seems to me that most of the attention these days is on "finding a cure", whereas, in actuality, it would be far more important, for all concerned, to learn and discover more about autism. Likewise, I think they also need to solve the PDD-NOS problem. What is PDD-NOS anyway? It seems to be a nondescript blanket term they use to describe any type of autism that doesn´t fall under any of the current headings. So why don´t they make new headings, and "specify" it finally? It´s awfully cumbersome to have to tell people that you have something that´s "not- otherwise- specified". There is obviously so much about autism that is not known yet, or that has not been defined and labeled.

Yes. I'm in the neurosciences at university - grad student. Autism, the common denominators, are actively being explored. And what was autism has evolved into deeper understanding. (Lack of) Theory of Mind was and is still a hallmark but the neural circuitry and microcircuitry is under analysis! I attended the Internation Neuroscience Convention last fall (Washington DC) - progress is underway. Please know this does not imply cure but rather ways to 'open channels' for those who cannot otherwise communicate/interact, and more. The Markrams are but one group of prominent researchers who have a unifying approach to autism/AS, research too about mirror neurons, etc.

But as far as diagnostics? I don't know - practitioners (who are not researchers!) are far behind. And I agree; hard to describe to another what Autism is, and what is not. Far too many misconceptions.

Sounds very interesting! Keep us informed on any new developments.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

People who like social interaction....and people who don't....regardless of whether they are good or bad at it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
People who like social interaction....and people who don't....regardless of whether they are good or bad at it.

Actually, I think that's a very good start.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

SammichEater wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

Actually, I think that's a very good start.

Thanks, I was just thinking about this the other day.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan