Has anyone attempted to divide Aspergers into subtypes?

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2009, 7:36 am

We're all here because we're on the spectrum or share enough traits to believe we are. Yet there's worlds of difference between one member of wrong planet and the next. Since AS is such a new condition, and the causes and mechanisms of it are so far from being understood, it's quite possible that what we lump together as Asperger's Sydrome may be quite a few quite different conditions.

This matters. When Psychology was in it's infancy, Schitzoid was used to describe a number of very different conditions. Science is too young yet to fully categorise AS into different subtypes, but it would be interesting to read about different theories floating about.

I've only recently got a diagnosis, and I feel like I'm at one of those life changing junctions. I'm ready to accept what I can't change and work on what I can. But there's no point starting that if my sydrome isn't really my syndrome

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2009, 8:03 am

I have etienne sebatian derault syndrome

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2009, 8:04 am

It's not the condition that is new but the recognition and categorisation of it. If other interim diagnoses were previously given, then it is reasonable to suspect that some AS diagnoses may be interim diagnoses for other conditions not yet categorised. I think it will be interesting to see how this develops.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:19 am

I saw a video that described several types of Aspies. These were all unofficial subtypes. Most people who responded to the thread attested to being a combination of several of the types listed. I could not decide which one I most closely related to.

All of the aspies I have met in person have been very different from one-another.
I would not mind knowing where I fit.

I was only assessed and that consisted of the AS expert lady saying...yep- You're an Aspie.
My profile says I am diagnosed, because that is most likely the closest I will ever be to being diagnosed.

Provided that I am indeed an aspie,
I am self-centered, right-brained, artisticly and musically inclined, strong visual/associative memory, non-mathematical, an obsessive collector of things and a repetitive doer moreso than a gatherer of information...though I went through more obsessive fact-collecting phases when I was a kid...I have a funny voice, walk on my toes, stim a lot, am marked by sorta arrested emotional maturity, basic AS-ish sensory issues and avoidance of eye-contact, strong (combined-type)ADD issues, such as executive dysfunction out the wazoo...am somewhat less intelligent than a lot of the aspies in some ways...am very disorganized, somewhat extroverted, socially liberal, and not inclined to lead a very regimented life.

I would like to know if there are other aspies who sorta fit this description...and if we would be a subtype.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:36 am

Then you should ask yourself what subcategories might make sense?

We already have that speech development that divides a part of the spectrum from classical autism, calling it 'AS'.

However, in that subgroup of AS, there are at least 5 groups:

1. those with perfectly normal and average language development (no echolalia, no confusion with semantics)
2. those with a very early and very fast language development
3. those with normally delayed and atypical language development
4. those who don't fit either of these categories
5. those with an AS diagnosis and language delay in early childhood (hey, what about that criterion if there are professionals who don't care?)

All others symptoms and traits would be disregarded in favour of the language development of a person. Doesn't seem so sensible to me when there are those with classical autism who also gain language and speech to an age appropriate level.

The use of the criterion of repetitive behaviours to divide AS into subtypes would also lead to confusion, I think. There are those with a diagnosis of AS that:

1. have a special interest (however, classical autism doesn't exclude a special interest and many kfolks with classical have or develop one)
2. that have no special interest (a fleeting minority, I'd think)
3. that have routines:
3a. that have routines that if broken distress the individual
3b. that have routines that if broken render the individual non-functional
3c. that have routines and fulfil both 3a. and 3b.
4. that have 'no' routines (=no clinically significant routines, no more than the average person)
5. that have stereotypical mannerisms
X. that have a combination of several of the above in various forms.
Which could then again lead to create new subtypes such as '1+3c+6' and '2+4+5' and so on.

And that all isn't even taking the social interaction part into consideration.

So maybe finding the cause for some types of AS would help some.

But there's always the (likely) possibility that a large part of the diagnosed AS population will have the same cause but show a spectrum of symptoms all the same.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2009, 8:37 am

Do you have a link to the video?

I feel like I should write up a list of things that make me AS and rank them in order of intensity and usefulness. I like your list Poopylongstockings. It's comprehensive.When I try to think of the reasons I'm on the spectrum, I just think of random quirks in no particular order. It would be useful to have a guide for myself. I think that would take a day or two of concentration though, and I've got too much on my plate right now.

In fact this whole topic is just a way for me to procrastinate packing all my crap into bags. I'm moving to France on Monday :lol:

SRSLY though. More informed responses. We're onto something here

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2009, 8:40 am

Sora wrote:
Which could then again lead to create new subtypes such as '1+3c+6' and '2+4+5' and so on.

This is exactly the kind of typology I'm looking for. Four or five of the main areas of AS and within those areas, a number of choices. We could develop this ourselves*

*And by ourselves, I mean yourselves, I've got bags to pack :?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:45 am

Aspergers is all one condition. But there are different types of aspies. We all share the same core traits though. For example, I introduced my boyfriend, who is also an aspie, to another AS friend of mine. I was a bit confused at why my friend was doing something (I don't remember what) and I asked my boyfriend what he thought. He said something like "That type of aspie just does that." There do seem to be several types, but it's all AS.

why does every thing have to be classified down to the last speck??

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:47 am

I think because they do not know what causes it, they clump us all together.

I know I was hit with a neuro-toxin. I am atypical ASP in many ways. My formal DX is autism disorder. And I know that everyone on here KNOWS that we have empathy, but those who make the dx's always harp on that. Plus I can sometimes be OK with interaction. Not often, but sometimes.

Plus mine did not show till I was a teen. It showed, but it was in the 70s and I was just thought of as "difficult." But by 14 no one could deny there were serious troubles. My T siad that is really rare, but I have met others who did not have massive trouble till teen.

So yes, I wish they could narrow it down and get us all placed where we need to be. I totally agree- we nned more categories. Some of us have neuro-toxins, others brain issues from chemicals- god knows in this chemical world.

I think they will do that next DSM

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:51 am

raggle-taggle-gypsy wrote:
Sora wrote:

This is exactly the kind of typology I'm looking for. Four or five of the main areas of AS and within those areas, a number of choices. We could develop this ourselves*

*And by ourselves, I mean yourselves, I've got bags to pack :?

I think there's be lots of diversity going on despite such typing. But yes, it's a an idea... would be interesting to see the results.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 8:55 am

I can only relate to a few that poopy listed.

I am:
honest
short-tempered/ impatient
have times when I cannot control my emotions
hypersensitive to light, noise, touch, taste
mildy dyspraxic
ADD issues
has bursts of hyperactivity
has a vivid imagination
has mild synethesia
non-mathematical, though I'm slowly re-learning it.
has great attention to detail
a fact-collector
monotone voice
stutters, mispronounces words, can't explain things properly
can't express self or show enthusiasm
suspected alexithymia
has a very fast brain (as my teacher says)
social dyslexia
stims occasionally
very visual

What would you call that sub type, besides being Shanti (me)?

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2009, 9:32 am

what about the audio and visual division? There seem to be lots of visual thinkers
here but I'm very much the opposite. I learned to read at 3 and every day I remember
vast amounts of speech verbatim, without even trying. I used to be able to recite
several Shakespeare plays (shame I'm such a lousy actress) and if I want to remember
anything like a phone number all I have to do is say it aloud. But thinking in pictures or
symbols is beyond me. Anyone else fall into one group or the other?

t0
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 9:33 am

Sorenna wrote:
I think because they do not know what causes it, they clump us all together.

This is the answer. Since AS is strongly believed to be a neurological difference from the norm, it makes no sense to subtype AS until those neurological differences are found. Non-neurological differences that produce similar behavior to ASD (poisoning for example) are already put into separate categories because their cause is known.

Breaking AS into categories based on how they behave is no different than doing the same with NT. It's a social grouping.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 10:01 am

For those of you who have gotten to know me, what do you think my subtype would be?

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 12:56 pm

If there is language delay then the person doesn't have Aspergers. Its part of the DSM that there is no language delay. They have some other spectrum disorder. Its funny everyone seems to want to be an Aspie but I read about people on here and have met some in person who likely have Rhetts Syndrome but no they cling to their self diagnosis of Aspergers.

There aren't subtypes of Aspies. What makes us different are mostly our co-morbid conditions. Someone with AS and Schizo is going to be different from someone with AS and PTSD for instance. And also our life experience and way we were raised makes us different. Its not subtypes of Aspie. People are just different just like NTs aren't all the same.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 1:03 pm

pensieve wrote:
I can only relate to a few that poopy listed.

I am:
honest
short-tempered/ impatient
have times when I cannot control my emotions
hypersensitive to light, noise, touch, taste
mildy dyspraxic
ADD issues
has bursts of hyperactivity
has a vivid imagination
has mild synethesia
non-mathematical, though I'm slowly re-learning it.
has great attention to detail
a fact-collector
monotone voice
stutters, mispronounces words, can't explain things properly
can't express self or show enthusiasm
suspected alexithymia
has a very fast brain (as my teacher says)
social dyslexia
stims occasionally
very visual

What would you call that sub type, besides being Shanti (me)?

That's quite like me actually