Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 11:05 am

Confused-Fish wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
What is the relationship between reality and perception? Do I perceive a thing because it is real, or is a thing real because I have perceived it? :chin:

Specifically in relation to supernatural beliefs and spiritual realms.

as far as we know perception is not reality. perception is merely your interpretation, for example a solid brick wall isn't actually solid, its mostly empty space and electrons. the energy fields in our physical bodies cannot pass through the energy fields in the wall and light can not pass through it either which causes us to perceive the wall as a solid object.

On the other hand there is no physical evidence for the existence of our Consciousness which imo points to a strong possibility that our minds are a purely electromagnetic construct anchored to our physical bodies via the energy in our brains (sorta like a 2 way cable id imagine). I suppose that this possibility could potentially lead to a number of strange possibilities concerning reality and perception but who knows? *shrugs*

The solidity of solids is not the occupation of space by matter, but electrostatic repulsion according to Coulomb's Law. Space is field with fields not buckshot.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 1:36 pm

That's reassuring.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 2:46 pm

It sure didn't feel like electrical repulsion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 10:53 am

slowmutant wrote:

Try it with very powerful magnets (high field strength or flux), not refrigerator magnets. If the field strength is great enough your muscle power will not be able to push the magnets together (same pole to same pole) and the repulsion will feel rock solid.

Space is mostly empty of matter.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 1:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Try it with very powerful magnets (high field strength or flux), not refrigerator magnets. If the field strength is great enough your muscle power will not be able to push the magnets together (same pole to same pole) and the repulsion will feel rock solid.

Space is mostly empty of matter.

ruveyn

I have no high-powered magnets, but I understand what you mean.