Kudos to David Letterman for his Bill Hicks tribute!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 6:09 pm

I'd just like to publicly say thanks to Dave for finally coming clean about the 'lost' Bill Hicks tape, and giving Bill his due props Friday night. It was great to see Mary and finally get to view the final television performance of one of the greatest comic minds of the last generation (even though the material was tremendously watered-down for the network). Sad that it couldn't have aired when it was supposed to, I know it was a great disappointment to Bill himself, who knew his time on Earth was rapidly running out, but better it be seen several years too late, than never at all.

It speaks greatly to David letterman's character that his conscience finally won out and he did the right thing, when he could have brushed it off and forgotten it forever. I knew you had it in you, Dave! Thanks!

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 6:12 pm

I see.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 9:45 am

Congrats to Dave!! !

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 7:15 am

I must say I remain sceptical about this issue. Being a huge Bill fan I agree with Bill's own theory that it wasn't David Letterman, or even Richard Morton the show's producer's fault for Bill being cut from the broadcast show. The only reason why David claimed soul resposibility, and he did so several times, theres your hint, is because he is in CBS's pocket.

CBS doesn't want anyone thinking that they are a elite shadowy board of pinched faced beurocrats that desperately pander to the minorities because they are the ones who write in to complain. That's the entire reason Bill was cut. Partly due to the "Hot Points" in his set, one of them being his pro-life gags. And one of the Letterman demographics IS pro-life sensibilities, this is proven by the fact that they show pro-life commercials in their c ommercial breaks.

Now I know that's how it was then, b ut since I don't live in america I haven't seen the show with addidtion to the content of it's commercial breaks so I can't speak for today's standards that CBS pander to.

But one thing I know for sure is that CBS have gotten off their high horses, or at least are a little less terrified of offending the highly offendable, "country bumkin" Mid western demographic that they were under the thumb of 15 years previous. Otherwise they still wouldn't have even considered airing the excised set.

I'm of two minds whether to applaud David for taking responsibility, because it definately WASN'T his fault that Bill was cut from the show originally. Possibly the only reason the whole Letterman staff were pressed on this issue to FINALLY air the set was due to pressure from Bill's global fanbase and the knowledge that every year that Bill's set went unaired was another year that TV is shown to be a pussy-whipped b***h to the offendable neandathol demographics out there.

But at least it provided some closure for Bill's family and his fans.

So I give some begrudging kudos to CBS for finally feeling brave enough to peek over the parapit.

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph