Tried it, enjoyed it, but didn't improve health 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Tried it, enjoyed it, improved health 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
Never tried it 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 22

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:27 am

Has anyone tried it? Did they like it? Did it make them healthier?

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:17 pm

I only got to use one for the three days after Christmas when my sister got one, before she went back to Seattle. So I've tried one, enjoyed it, but there was no way to determine if it improved my health.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:40 pm

I think I would love it, but it'd involve getting a wii which is expensive and I don't even play video games.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 8:00 am

My brother does it because he is overweight

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 9:38 am

The price is going down on these. It is about £150 for both a Wii and a Wii fit. I'm thinking of getting one

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2009, 1:11 pm

Seems like a fun way to burn some calories. The games are rather enjoyable.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:24 pm

I got it, played it, and liked it ... but I'm too busy with Metal Gear Online xD

nightwulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2009, 5:38 pm

I have it, and it's kinda fun. The biggest disappointment was the lack of a structured work out routine. You basically just start it up whenever you feel like it and go through whatever routines you want. Some of them get old really fast.

It's still fun though. The game where you have to lean to head soccer balls back at the goal (and avoid other things being flung at you) is a blast. I hear there's a successor coming out which focuses more on a structured routine, so I'll give it a shot too.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2009, 4:39 am

Looks like it could be fun. Ordered one, should be here on Thursday. Funny, I've never owned a video game before, the only one I've played belonged to a friend many years ago, pretty sure it was an Atari 2600 :)

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:56 am

I got it maybe a month and a half ago.
I wasn't in terrible shape and I was (and am) a healthy weight, but using it has definitely helped me become more toned.
I gained muscle, and I feel better than I did when I just lounged on the sofa watching TV for an hour.
I initially I tried to use it for at least 30 minutes(total, mostly games) everyday and didn't notice too much of a difference. But for the past week and a half I've eaten healthier and tried to use it for an hour each day - with at least 30 minutes strength training/yoga and 15 minutes aerobics. I make myself do the ones I know are good for me, even if they are not my favorites (dance pose, lunges, and jackknife - blech!). I try to set up a well rounded work out for myself and, so far it's worked fantastically. I feel good and look even better! I can do 30 jackknifes now and on the chair pose today I got a 98! XD My highest score for dance is still 78... ): But, hey, my first time it was a 7.

It's all about self-motivation. It stinks that there isn't a way to set up a routine for yourself within the game but, since I've forced myself to do a bunch of different ones, as opposed to the same fun/easy ones over and over, it's definitely done me good. I've actually lost 3 lbs! (:

Definitely a quality workout, but it's starting to get a bit monotonous, not gonna lie. It's just like working out, 'cause it is a work out. But I just wish it had more fun activities that are better for you on there. Yoga and strength training are rather hard and very monotonous but don't feel like the balance games do much for my overall fitness level. Sigh. I'll just have to wait and see where I go from here. Maybe I'll keep this updated. . . Well, anyway!

Yes, I recommend it. If you can self-motivate, it's a good program. (:

RealTalk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2009, 3:08 pm

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Definitely a quality workout

Please, don't make me laugh. This are basically minimal bodyweight exercises. You have to be severely out of shape and/or overweight to experience any kind of fat loss. Pretty much any conventional exercise is superior to that little gimmick. Hell, even normal Yoga trumps this

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 6:48 pm

RealTalk wrote:
Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Definitely a quality workout

Please, don't make me laugh. This are basically minimal bodyweight exercises. You have to be severely out of shape and/or overweight to experience any kind of fat loss. Pretty much any conventional exercise is superior to that little gimmick. Hell, even normal Yoga trumps this

Well, obviously, it's not going to be as effective/strenuous as working out at an actual gym, or with an actual trainer. But it's not bad for what it is.

The strength training (though quite noticeably lacking in weights) is still moderately effective. Its probably the weakest part of the game when used exclusively with the balance board, but I sometimes use/hold my own dumbbells during some of the exercises that feel ineffective. And, last time I checked, jackknifes, lunges, squats and push-ups were all pretty conventional exercises.

The balance board is a bit gimmicky, it's true - it pretty much just tells you you aren't falling over. But its occasional gimmickiness doesn't change the quality of the actual exercises themselves. A push up is still a push up.

But it is handy for the yoga, which is, in large part, about balance.
If you say yoga's easy, I don't think you've tried it - or at least your impression of it is not very accurate. The later poses are more difficult than 'the warrior' or whatever else is in the first group. Try the shoulder stand or dance. With the wii yoga, as with 'normal yoga,' you only get as much out of it as you put in.
Hence, like I said, "if you self-motivate," it's a good game.

~~~

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing your post, and, if that's the case, I apologize.

I'm not sure if you were just stating your opinion or if you were being deliberately confrontational.
Whatever the intent, I really don't appreciate your dig at my weight - one, you have no idea what I look like or what I weigh. And, two... it doesn't even matter. I just feel that your comments were unnecessarily rude and unfounded. ):

Tea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2009, 2:05 am

I don't know about wii fit, but DDR is really good for losing weight. I really want to buy ddr again. I might buy it soon... lol

nightwulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2009, 6:35 pm

Tea wrote:
I don't know about wii fit, but DDR is really good for losing weight. I really want to buy ddr again. I might buy it soon... lol

I feel this way too. The problem is the cheap-ass home pads just don't cut it when you're accustomed to the arcade. I used to live in an area with a Dreamworks that had a deal every Tuesday -- $10 for unlimited credits after 3pm. Fantastic deal. DDR is too expensive without it.

Now, several companies make home DDR pads which are constructed much better than the pack-ins. These range from like $150 up to $2000 (sold only in Japan, was the actual arcade pad). I can't see dropping that much cash without trying one out first.

Raskle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2009, 4:48 am

Wii Fit is a good game to play with friends after a few beers, but it has negligible health benefits to the average person. You would get a much better workout doing something as simple as walking up and down a flight of stairs for 10 minutes, or even walking on the spot!