Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 1:53 am

I think the global amount of millionaires just dropped signifigantly.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm

I was so hoping to see a currency done in scientific notation...;)

give it a few months...the zeros will be back...you know they will...;0

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 12:37 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
I'm no fan of that man either, but I must tell you this - Most Africans LOVE HIM!

I know quite a few Tanzanian guys. I asked them about what they feel regarding Mugabe. And they all told me that he's a great man, like how Charles Taylor was. They completely support him, and assert that Morgan Tsvangirai is a western puppet. They believe everything Mugabe says - that all of Zimbabwe's problems are caused by the west. Now, I haven't met with people from Zimbabwe, till date. However, my friend's mother worked for UNICEF, and spent a whole year in Zimbabwe. My friend told me that although 50% of Zimbabwe is poor, most of the poor love Mugabe. He's a knight in shining armour, as far as they are concerned.

You have to look at the historical context for this. Mugabe was the hero who liberated Zimbabwe from the oppression of British colonialism, and for quite a time under Mugabe Zimbabwe was among the most successful and prosperous African states. By now Mugabe's gone senile and Zimbabwe's gone to s**t, but that doesn't mean a number of people don't still admire him.

And most Zimbabweans supported MDC over ZANU-PF in the initial poll, despite political intimidation, so I don't think they really share the views of the Tanzanians you've met.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 12:47 am

Orwell wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
I'm no fan of that man either, but I must tell you this - Most Africans LOVE HIM!

I know quite a few Tanzanian guys. I asked them about what they feel regarding Mugabe. And they all told me that he's a great man, like how Charles Taylor was. They completely support him, and assert that Morgan Tsvangirai is a western puppet. They believe everything Mugabe says - that all of Zimbabwe's problems are caused by the west. Now, I haven't met with people from Zimbabwe, till date. However, my friend's mother worked for UNICEF, and spent a whole year in Zimbabwe. My friend told me that although 50% of Zimbabwe is poor, most of the poor love Mugabe. He's a knight in shining armour, as far as they are concerned.

You have to look at the historical context for this. Mugabe was the hero who liberated Zimbabwe from the oppression of British colonialism, ...

Zimbabwe was only a very brief time again a British colony. Zimbabwe was occupied by apartheid South-Africa and became only formally for a few months again a British Colony to provide a legal framework for the transition.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 2:51 am

Chopping off zeroes didn't work for Yugoslavia in the 90s, and it won't work for Zimbabwe now.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 8:50 am

Cyanide wrote:
Chopping off zeroes didn't work for Yugoslavia in the 90s, and it won't work for Zimbabwe now.

It's the second time they've cut off a bunch of zeros, and it didn't work last year either.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 6:33 pm

Will someone please physically grab Mugabe from his office
and allow someone else to acquire power?

Or else, like Ishmael said, pop a cap into the man's head!

Brunny
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2009, 7:19 pm

There goes my chance to be a billionnaire :(

Well, at least for a couple of weeks.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:50 pm

ironic fact - the person who ran Rhodesia (old name) is also the founder of the Boy Scouts...;)

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 4:44 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Will someone please physically grab Mugabe from his office
and allow someone else to acquire power?

Or else, like Ishmael said, pop a cap into the man's head!

the problem is without a head figure everyone believes they're destined for power and so there would be bloodshed until someone forces themselves into his position.

Duzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2009, 5:22 pm

I spoke to someone from Zim a few weeks ago, and apparently most people have just given up on Z$ and are trading with SA Rands.