Can hear out of both ears, but only comprehend what goes

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2009, 12:09 pm

Redears - I forgot to ask an important question. Is this a recent phenomenon or has it been like this your whole life? If it is recent, it could indicate something other than CAPD (although late onset CAPD is possible too, though it is usually the result of some sort of damage/accident).

redears
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2009, 2:31 pm

jnet wrote:
Redears - I forgot to ask an important question. Is this a recent phenomenon or has it been like this your whole life? If it is recent, it could indicate something other than CAPD (although late onset CAPD is possible too, though it is usually the result of some sort of damage/accident).

I've noticed it recently, I don't recall before a few months ago

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2009, 11:02 pm

redears wrote:
jnet wrote:

I've noticed it recently, I don't recall before a few months ago

In that case, I would highly advise you to go see your doctor.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2009, 7:17 pm

jnet, I have always had this, although about two years ago it got to the point where I finally got tired of it, broke down and got a baseline hearing test done. No problem, can hear even very high sounds, in either ear. However, integrating sounds is an issue. I have heard that when presented with different sounds of similar intensity from both sides, a typical male will block one sound and focus on and discern the other, where a typical female will blend the two and hear a hybrid sound that mixes the two source sounds. My version is that the sounds clash and all I hear is unidentifiable noise. Whatever bits I can discern are of the blended variety.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 8:38 pm

I can hear well out of my right ear - too well when people are talking too loudly on the phone. I can't hear well out of my left ear.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 9:48 pm

melissa17b wrote:
jnet, I have always had this, although about two years ago it got to the point where I finally got tired of it, broke down and got a baseline hearing test done. No problem, can hear even very high sounds, in either ear. However, integrating sounds is an issue. I have heard that when presented with different sounds of similar intensity from both sides, a typical male will block one sound and focus on and discern the other, where a typical female will blend the two and hear a hybrid sound that mixes the two source sounds. My version is that the sounds clash and all I hear is unidentifiable noise. Whatever bits I can discern are of the blended variety.
\

Did you ever hear of binaural beats for entrainment? THEY work on the theory that ALL humans do what you think only females can(2 sounds that humans CAN hear "blend" so that it is heard as one sound that otherwise couldn't be heard, and it supposedly causes the human to react by having a lower frequency brainwave)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats