Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2009, 4:18 pm

When we think everyone else is stupid(this is common). What you don't understand is everyone is stupid, nobody knows everything, and you can learn from just about everyone you meet. Whether it be by their mistakes or something they make you realize.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:19 pm

What exactly are you saying?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:20 pm

We're mostly stupid but not worthless??

complicitytheory
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2009, 4:22 pm

lol. Ya, I don't get your point. Is it "we should just suck it up and be like everyone else"? Aspies process information differently that NTs. I'm no learning expert, but I do have a paying job in the field. And our differences are not covered by the average pantheon of learning differences, and thus need to be approached in a different manner. We all learn, but without understanding the particularities of how we learn, we just waste time with brick walls, missing the doorway.

Sola
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2009, 4:23 pm

There might be some truth to that, I don't know for sure. But the things people FOCUS so strongly on and the things which seem over exaggerated in their CONVERSATIONS....and their lack of LOGIC......might legitimately make you think they 'sound stupid', whether they really are or not. What they care about seems 'stupid' because in the context of life it is often a NEARLY NOTHING, a crumb of reality blown out of proportion, which reveals perhaps a tendency of the mind to exaggerate the minimals and suppress THE AWESOME REALITIES. This can be a problem when 'judging' others, because the context is usually completely absent.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm

I think you're all missing the point. He's saying we AS people think we are more brilliant than we are and that we think we know it all and that there is nothing new to learn.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:42 pm

I agree, and it is indeed the thing I find the most frustrating about other aspies. I've always resented being looked down upon for being different, so why would I want to do the same to someone else? Sometimes I even worry about being mocked by other aspies because I'm not all that brainy, or because I'm interested in some of the same things NT's tend to be interested in.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 5:10 pm

Mindovermatter wrote:
When we think everyone else is stupid(this is common). What you don't understand is everyone is stupid, nobody knows everything, and you can learn from just about everyone you meet. Whether it be by their mistakes or something they make you realize.

I understand what you're saying. You're using the Socratic method from Socrates which says that I know nothing and that I am ignorant and I know that I am ignorant. What this really means is that I do not know anything with 100% absolute certainty and nobody does. This means you have to be prepared to be wrong in anything you say in your arguments because you might some premises in your argument and one extra premise to an argument can change the whole conclusion.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 5:48 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
I understand what you're saying. You're using the Socratic method from Socrates which says that I know nothing and that I am ignorant and I know that I am ignorant. What this really means is that I do not know anything with 100% absolute certainty and nobody does. This means you have to be prepared to be wrong in anything you say in your arguments because you might some premises in your argument and one extra premise to an argument can change the whole conclusion.

And my main flaw is the fact that I too often just do not understand that the NTs are not always keen regarding a clear investigation of what we really know or of what we just think we know. In my case this caused over years endless trouble with friends, colleagues, bosses and my partner.

It is even so that they see too such an investigation as a direct personal assault.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2009, 5:52 pm

Quote:
I think you're all missing the point. He's saying we AS people think we are more brilliant than we are and that we think we know it all and that there is nothing new to learn.

That's not AS. That's just a HUGE arrogance issue, and a lot of people on the internet in general have it. Not just auties, and not autistic people as a group.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 6:03 pm

In a way, you are right! EVERYONE is "stupid". I would rather take an IDIOT that tries to be helpful and knows his/her limits, than a person that might have a 200 IQ(Probably doubtful in this case, but still...) and wants to do EVERYTHING(even though better people want to help) and has no knowledge of his/her limits.

I would have RESPECT for the first person, and not for the second.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 7:06 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
Sometimes I even worry about being mocked by other aspies because I'm not all that brainy, or because I'm interested in some of the same things NT's tend to be interested in.

Don't worry because contrary to popular legend all Aspies are not geniuses. Some are just average IQ like most NT's, even the DSM says average or above intelligence.

Sola
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2009, 7:13 pm

There are many 'kinds' of intelligence. I think one of the problems for some people is that 'social intelligence' gets you noticed easier in nt dominated domains,......... and 'smoozing' is a talent, or an intelligence category in itself. But I have taught myself NOT TO BE FOOLED BY SMOOZING. I learned that people are fakes, and speak in manners which make them appear special! To me,....what I hear when they speak is: CLICHES....because what they say sounds like a recording..........A LEARNED BEHAVIOR, LEARNED JARGON.....you know?.....nothing creative about it, it is more like monkey see monkey do...a PUT-ON................. A person can be a very good talker and seem intelligent enough to others because they 'know what to say'....... but outside that domain they might be very restricted in their intelligence, because they have profited from a dependence on 'social intelligence' getting them places in life. In a way there are intelligence 'specialties' and some people have more than one specialty, while others might only have one or two intelligence domains that they have cultivated. Well, anyway..... research shows that there are many types of intelligence........how useful to success in life those various intelligences are relates often to choices and temperaments (example competitive nature, passive, etc).....and even luck itself.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2009, 7:29 pm

I have no flaws. :lol:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 7:29 pm

Again, I am lost to the point of this thread.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 7:40 pm

Padium wrote:
Again, I am lost to the point of this thread.

The OP seems to think that autistics view NTs as stupid. The OP is saying this is our biggest flaw.