Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jakewp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2010, 8:15 pm

A lot of people told me they thought I was a teenager (at the phone), but I'm 39.
It's weird but sometimes my voice changes and turns into a real middle aged man voice, my real voice I think. It happens when I am very relaxed and in a better mood (what hardly happens).

They grow and flourish and then return to the source.
Returning to the source is stillness, which is the way of nature

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:51 pm

I sound like I'm about 10. I think even women's voices "break" a little. Mine hasn't.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

ticktockpop

17 Jan 2010, 2:56 am

My nickname is Minnie Mouse, yet I can talk on a very low voice when I am being serious or having a conversation -- bizarre :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 11:32 am

I've been told a couple of times that my singing voice sounds much younger than I am. I believe it......it hasn't changed since I was a teenager, except that the pitching and delivery is better, there's more strenght in my lower notes and I can't sing at the top of my range for as long.

I think a lot of people's voices don't change much after the age of about 20, until they're about 70.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 6:42 pm

People say I sound like I am 16, even though I am 32

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2010, 8:12 pm

Not younger, but very resonant and soft. I wish I had a deep, booming voice like a jock.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2010, 5:45 am

I am in my early 20's and I sound like a 5th or a 6th grader. I also look young for my age too.

UglyDuckling

01 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm

Telemarketers ask to speak to my mother when I answer the phone. I'd say something snarky if I didn't pity them for having such an unpleasant job.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2010, 4:26 pm

Yes. I have a very young voice. I sound like a teenager. It can have it's drawback in that I am not taken seriously sometimes. Usually given time and finding out my professionalism and knowledge, it can be ameliorated, but in most short term cases it can be a hurdle. Something as seemingly innocuous as voice tone can have quite an effect on people image and judgments of you.

Add to that that I am blonde, look much younger than my 48 years, and am considered attractive. You can imagine the schism between people's perception of me at first and the way I get treated and how I wish to be treated.

Two stories (I have many) of phone convos:

Over the phone people consistently think I'm a kid (teenager). I've gotten the "Is your mom there?" and also been mistaken for my own teenage daughters in the past (including by family members and my daughters' own friends which is funny when they start right in on sharing their stories and only find out after I interrupt them awhile into the story that they are talking to the mom :lol: ).

First story:

About 6 years ago I owned my own small business. With this small business, one of the things I did was home consultations for decorating. I'm sitting at my desk and the phone rings. A middle aged sounding woman wants to know about my services and starts asking me a bunch of questions, which I answer. She seems very....hmm snooty is the best word I can come up with...like an authoritarian teacher tone to her voice and her questions were all like "prove to me your the BEST for the job." It's a not untypical way of being for a certain kind of upper middle class middle aged professional suburban woman, the demographic I was primarlily dealing with, so no biggy, I answered each and every question detailing my expertise. Less than 10 minutes into the convo she suddenly stops in her rhythmn of queries and says, "HOW OLD ARE YOU?"

8O

Because it came so abruptly in the middle of a professional convo and because she asked it so rudely, I was quite taken aback. I paused for a moment out of shock on the phone, while thinking something like, "What the hell? Where did that come from?"

I recovered and listed off my qualifications (education, expertise, job history, etc.), assured her I was definitely mature and responsible and then asked her why she needed to know my age. In a huffy and disbelieving tone she said I sounded "like a kid". She said that I spoke well but that by my voice, she would assume I was still a student. I was getting a bit irritated by the woman's haughtiness and really wanted to say, "I'm probably older than you, b***h!! !" :evil:

But, I didn't :D i have amazing self control 8) LOL :P

Second story (this one is bizarrely funny):

Four years ago my youngest daughter was having a sleepover 14th birthday party with 5 of her friends. It was after 10 o’clock and they were all camped out with their sleeping bags and DVDs in the basement rec-room. I was upstairs with the door to the basement closed so as to hear less of the 6 teenaged girl partying. Unbeknownst to me, this is what was going on downstairs before my daughter came up with a cell phone in her outstretched hand to me.

The girls had found an old address book of my daughter’s from when she was in elementary school. She started reading through it for fun to see who was in it. Then one of my daughter’s friends, I’ll call her Allie, got the idea to phone some of the old friends in the book. Allie (as well as another girl) had a new cell phone they wanted to have some fun with. So, they called a couple numbers and got answering machines. The third number they called, they got the father of the old friend answering the phone. They asked to speak to the girl and the father got irate and asked who was calling. So Allie gave her name, but he didn’t know her. She then said that she was friends with my daughter and gave my daughter’s name. The whole time the other girls were giggling in the background not knowing how angry the father was on the phone. Allie handed the phone to my daughter who tried to explain what they were doing, and got interrupted by him yelling at her, “KATY IS IN BED!! ! DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS??? I DON’T KNOW YOU AND DON’T CALL HERE AGAIN!! !”

My daughter tried to explain that she knew his daughter from a few years hence, and he didn’t remember her, but he wasn’t listening, he was just really angry. My daughter stood there not knowing what to say in reply to his freaking out that she didn’t expect and her friend was trying to take the cell phone back from her hand while my daughter hesitated, at which point Allie (who is hyperactive) got freaked out and yelled jokingly, “OMG Hang up!” and then....”b***h!” Then my daughter pressed the cancel button, but too late, because the father heard the “b***h!” part.

:roll: teenage girls...

Here comes the good part. The cell phone number was displayed on the father’s home phone and he immediately called back on it screaming bloody murder and asking for the parents of the home or he was going to call the police. This is when my daughter got scared and brought the phone upstairs and where I came in. I’m upstairs reading a book and suddenly my daughter is standing in front of me with fear in her eyes holding out a cell phone and says quietly, “Can you talk to this man?” I had no clue what was going on and asked her and she gave me a quick abbreviated version of events. My reaction to myself was “Ohhhh geeeeez.”

I took the phone ready to talk calm sense to the man and apologize to him and explain that they were being silly, irresponsible 14 year old girls, but he didn’t let me get a word in edgewise. He was under the faulty impression that when Allie screamed “b***h!” just before my daughter hung up, it was my daughter screaming it at him to his daughter! My daughter had turned white and was shaking her head vociferously. I know that’s not like her and he’d gotten it wrong and I know Allie and she was repeatedly saying, “NO, it was ME!! OMG it was me saying it stupidly to Liv (my daughter).” But the guy wouldn’t listen to that and ranted on at me about calling the police etc. I tried to calm him down and apologized again and then he screamed, “I want to speak to a PARENT!! !” I thought, “Huh???”

“YOU ARE NOT A PARENT!! YOU THINK I’M AN IDIOT??? YOU THINK YOU CAN FOOL ME??? YOU SOUND 16!! !”

I couldn’t believe my ears. I calmly said. “I AM Liv’s mother. I am 44 years old and I’ve been trying to explain to you, if you would listen....”

Then he yells, “BS!! ! YOU’RE A LIAR!! ! YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE???

This absurd exchange went back and forth about a half dozen times too many with my insisting I was her mother only to have him get more idiotic and threatening.

Him: “I’M CALLING THE COPS. PUTTING YOUR OLDER SISTER ON THE PHONE IS NOT HELPING YOU!! !’

Me: “I am NOT her sister. I am her MOTHER.”

Him: “LIAR!! !”

I’d finally had it with the dumbass told him so. I said, “I don’t know what crime exactly you plan on reporting to the cops, but I’m hanging up now. Good-bye.”

He was still screaming at me about lying and kids not getting away with it, as I hung up 8O :lol:

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Sep 2010, 10:25 pm

Here's a reverse situation.

On the phone, more often than not, I'll get mistaken for my father, even by his colleagues.

That's apparently how old I sound, though personally I think I sound like a 15 year old.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:23 am

I sound my age, actually my voice is pretty deep.

kay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2010, 8:27 am

i work in a call centre and am regularly told that i sound young

r41n
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

my voice was flat starting from teen age..

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2010, 7:25 pm

Just today, I was speaking on the phone to a potential counselor. When she found out my age, she exclaimed that I sounded like I was in my twenties. I am definitely older than that, and I found this rather amusing. :)

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:49 am

Unfortunately yes! That's probably why I'm never taken seriously in a verbal dispute over the telephone. Verizon telephone reps think they're havin' it out with a small kid. :lol:

SeanLowe1288
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2011, 3:09 am

yeah I sound like I'm 17 but I'm 22 years old and when everyone else hears me they say I sound like my age and I'm like I sound like a 17 year old not 22