Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Do "wide-open" rooms make you nervous? (Read post for explanation if confused about the question)
Yes indeed. They do. How did you know? 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Yes indeed. They do. How did you know? 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
No. They don't make me uncomfortable. 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
No. They don't make me uncomfortable. 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
No, actually, I'm just the opposite. Cluttered, unopen spaces make me nervous. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
No, actually, I'm just the opposite. Cluttered, unopen spaces make me nervous. 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
I read your post, Sophist, and I still have no idea what you're talking about. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I read your post, Sophist, and I still have no idea what you're talking about. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I live outdoors 24/7. I can't relate. I have no opinion. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I live outdoors 24/7. I can't relate. I have no opinion. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:00 am

I know this is likley an ASD quirk but I want to see how many of us can relate.

Do you get nervous, indoors, with open rooms/spaces? Like, rooms which have very little furniture and perhaps tall(er) ceilings or very light furniture?

For myself, it's almost as though in a "open" room, I feel like I am falling into it or that I, too, am wide open. This sounds strange to describe (perhaps not quite so strange if a string of "yes" posts follow) but to me it is a visual thing. I need things around me, lots of things, dark things. Lighter rooms make me nervous because they can have the same effect. It's almost as though a light piece of furniture isn't "there" visually.

Which is no doubt why my apartment is as cluttered and "busy" with things on the walls as it is.

Anyone?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:09 am

Oh yeah. Like giant auditoriums. They make me light headed. And my flu dreams? Theyre about me being forced to comprehend some giant space. Terrifying.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2005, 8:30 am

I didn't know what to vote.

I feel most at home outside....nothing bothers me out there.
In the past when I was more social, If I ventured to a house for a party, I prefered large open rooms so I'd have a place to escape to. Small rooms packed with people freak me out....actually, just groups of people freak me out.

So as long as I'm alone......dosen't matter how big/small/ cluttered/uncluttered a room is.
But I think I prefer open rooms. The houses I grew up in had large open spaces and it's what I'm used to. My formal living/dinning room is completly empty & unfurnished.....I like it in there, no distractions and it's rather peaceful. My cat likes it too.....she spends most of her time in there sprawled out basking in the sun.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2005, 8:33 am

I can't say open spaces make me feel nervous, but I do prefer small spaces.
Small spaces make me feel more alone and I can feel my aura or energy if I am in a small place like a wardrobe. I have a better sense of myself in a small space.

When I was a kid I hated using the toilet in a large bathroom in a hotel as I imagined people could see me as it didn't feel private as too big.

Debra

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 12:21 pm

Last edited by Cade on 11 Feb 2006, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:14 pm

Not really. As long as the room is comfortable and has a good atmosphere. My living room roof is very high, and the room is very large and I love it.

Its these modern houses with hardly anything in them, uncomfortable furniture and a medical lab feel about them that I don't like.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2005, 8:26 pm

Nomaken wrote:
And my flu dreams? Theyre about me being forced to comprehend some giant space. Terrifying.

I have those sometimes, except they're sleepwalking episodes where my room seems distorted, and the door which is 5 feet away feels like a mile. And I also feel sick to my stomach during it. 8)