Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 11:30 am

Does anyone sound as if they had disorganised speech? I don't mean the psychotic sort of type.

My thoughts are clear and structured. I know exactly what I have to tell a person, what is generally important and so on.

But other people have some trouble getting the gist of what I mean to say when I speak spontaneously and fluently (as in, no pauses) about something moderately complicated that I haven't yet talked about before. (Telling someone about something when they were not there, for example).

Disorganised speech is something like this

Sora wrote:
'I gotta tell you; when I'm running late I have to call several times. Zoe who's working there and they're all really nice, you know - I mean the people who work there are nice - and I really don't want to use the phone because it would be in the middle of the afternoon. Oh, I mean call the place I'm working at.'

If I have time to reflect upon something I haven't talked about before I'm pretty easy to understand. Actually very well structured, very interesting and good to listen to for both adults and young children.

Last edited by Sora on 05 Feb 2009, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smilyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

My speech is very good but not my writing

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm

if i talk spontaniously sometimes i dont even manage to pronounce words right and end up talking jabberthen give up :lol:
so yeh i do

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:19 pm

I speak like a ret*d.

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2009, 12:30 pm

robo37 wrote:
I speak like a ret*d.

Hmm, thanks for that pearl of profundity.

I'm totally with the OP. As long as I can remember I've aways had trouble speaking clearly. People always ask me to repeat myself, either because I was mumbling, speaking as if the words can't come out quickly enough, or because they're not sure whether I'm speaking to them or not because I'm not making eye contact.

I've recently started to pause for a second before responding to a question or starting to speak and letting the words out one by one, but find, as robo37 might put it, that I end up sounding like a ret*d. Perhaps it just needs concentration and practice.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:41 pm

But yeah, this isn't about being inarticulate but about disorganised speech.

I say disorganised speech and I literally mean disorganised.

Like this:

'I gotta tell you; when I'm running late I have to call several times. Zoe who's working there and they're all really nice, you know - I mean the people who work there are nice - and I really don't want to use the phone because it would be in the middle of the afternoon. Oh, I mean call the place I'm working at. '

That's called disorganised speech.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:44 pm

smilyme wrote:

Same with me.

Gryphoness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2009, 12:46 pm

smilyme wrote:

I am the opposite. My writing is good but my speech sucks. When I write, I have time to choose my words carefully and to go back and change something that may be getting the point across. My writing tends to be concise and to the point. My speech however is just the opposite. I tend to say too much as if the other person needed to know every detail of what I am describing. I also find that when talking to others, especially about my feelings, it's like I am speaking another language. Everything I say to them makes perfect sense to me but somehow they just don't understand me. It's as if the thoughts go through a "me filter" before becoming words and they're put into some form that only I can understand.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:51 pm

In order not to jumble up my speech I sometimes have to think before I place each word after another. If I just rattle something off, it will hardly make any sense, and I might end up having to repeat the same details over and over till I get it right...Watch any of my you tube videos, and you will hear disorganized speech.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 3:50 pm

Sora wrote:
But yeah, this isn't about being inarticulate but about disorganised speech.

I say disorganised speech and I literally mean disorganised.

Like this:

'I gotta tell you; when I'm running late I have to call several times. Zoe who's working there and they're all really nice, you know - I mean the people who work there are nice - and I really don't want to use the phone because it would be in the middle of the afternoon. Oh, I mean call the place I'm working at. '

That's called disorganised speech.

I noticed yesterday when talking to my psychologist that I have disorganized speech at times. I have noticed this before and I was actually glad she got to see it happen. She was steadily writing notes but she never really said anything regarding that. When I get to talking my inattentive ADHD comes out and I forget where I was, and my mind jumps all over the place while I'm talking. It sometimes sounds like the example you posted.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:08 pm

I think I get this problem a lot. Stuttering is also a speech problem for me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:17 pm

My words may jump quickly from one idea to another idea on the same subject matter, but I don't think that my words jump from one idea to another idea in a new, completely unrelated subject matter under the same breath. I tend to think and speak on one topic at a time, though not always in a coherent way.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:21 pm

I can relate to that quote you put in Sora. Is it that we're thinking too fast so we miss out a few important details for our speech to flow smoothly? My mum would actually keep those few words, that make her speech make more sense out, so I have to ask her what's she's talking about.
I also have a stuttering problem and mispronounce words, as well as get something i call 'thought blankness'; a very short period where my mind goes blank, usually happening at the start or middle of a conversation. Yesterday I found I couldn't explain things properly to my psychologist. That could have been because I don't like speaking about my emotions.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:25 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but I sometimes have trouble converting complex thoughts into speech or writing. Though staying logically connected, my thoughts usually branch out in several different directions at once. It's not always easy to organize them in a strict sequential way. It's hard to know where to start, how to transition, and how to prevent myself from leaving out vital pieces of information.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 11:01 pm

I get severely disorganized speech for around 10% of the day or the bad days are more like 30%. A sentence would sound like this: "You know the cow in the now who what is the I don't know but phone the brain and the pain is something or the other." I spoke like that at my psychologist today and she called it a "defense mechanism" rather than psychosis, which made me happy! That means I am no longer or ever have been psychotic! Its something a neurotic person would say! By the way, my disorganized sentences always contain the word "cow" because where I live there are many cows, more than humans. The cows are taking over the town, run for your lives! My worst times for speaking all jumbled up is between 4pm-6pm. My appointment was at 4:45, during the time I would speak weird anyways.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 11:24 pm

I've had the psychotic kind in a hospital, which my mother said sounded totally alien and out there in a stupidly-philosophical kind of way.

Apart from that, I carefully think through everything I say before I say it, so that I don't jump tangents or stutter.