What are some ways I can raise my self-esteem and confidence

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

coolio123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2009, 6:48 pm

I haven't got a clear or direct diagnosis yet but I am pretty sure I have Aspergers. I got diagnosed with Schizophrenia last year and I heard how both of the conditions are closely related. Also when I read books and material about Aspergers I can relate to it pretty well. I find it hard to accept myself for who I am. I do a lot of stupid things [some that should have made me end up in jail] I have no common sense, and yes, I have bad social skills and spend a lot of time just bymyself.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 7:05 pm

One way is realizing that there are many people that are worse off and have far less than you.

Do what you love to do, no matter what others think.

Help other people. It will make you feel better.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm

if you can identify the symptoms, and tendencies, you can formulate coping strategies to deal with them. Romantic attachments (nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try...;), family that don't drive you crazy, people who like you can also help.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 3:42 am

do things that you like to do

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2009, 4:02 am

SilverStar wrote:
One way is realizing that there are many people that are worse off and have far less than you.

Do what you love to do, no matter what others think.

Help other people. It will make you feel better.

I strongly agree with this, but the rejections that someone who is "different" faces, are even harder when they just want to help. The worst feeling is realising you face resentment towards other people who are helping the same cause as you, because they aren't doing the work to get to know and accept you for who you are, and they won't open up to an attempted approach you've made, or can't figure out. So, watch out for the animosity. Maybe it happens more with Aspies who are clueless about Aspergers like I was- not understanding or able to accept the differences, leaving you totally ignorant of your condition. One of the best things I've ever done for myself was to get on WP, and talk about myself. It not only helps me, but others as well, and it's an easy place to get started. I'm long winded...

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2009, 6:02 am

i can relate to the "i cant accept who i am because of aspergers", i went through that all throughout highschool before i was finally expelled, i was diagnosed with major depression and severe anxiety and i went through many anti depressents before i was eventually put on effexor, and now, i can say my self esteem is pretty okay, and now i dont really care at all what people think about me, i do what i do.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:22 am

Start with something simple: find something social to do you're good at.

Preferably something like sports that you can do in a club where there are people who show their respect and recognition for your effort and success.

Such an environment can be a safe-heaven in which even failure does not lead to bullying or rejection.

Everyone fails at times, especially in all kinds of sports, and to raise confidence it's all the more important to experience that other people do not only respect your for your success but will still respect you, still like you, still be on your side even if you commit mistakes.

That's what confidence is (truly) built on. Not only on being recognised as good, but also knowing you need not be afraid of anything if you can not be successful.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:38 am

My Declaration of Self-Esteem

I am me

In all the world, there is no one exactly like me. There is no one who
is the unique combination of everything that makes me who I am.

I own everything about me. My body and my mind.
All my thoughts and ideas, all my feelings, whatever they may be -
joy, frustration, love, disappointment, excitement. All that comes
from my mouth, all that I express, all my words and actions are mine.

I own my dreams, my hopes, my fears.

I own all my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes.

As long as I am friendly and loving to myself, I can encourage myself
and I can look for ways to find out more about myself and seek to
adjust the aspects that are not useful or helpful in my process of
being me and becoming me.

As time passes, some parts of me I will outgrow and some parts will
no longer fit with who I am. But always in becoming me I will hold
dear those parts of me that I cherish and are uniquely beautiful,
because they are me.

I can feel, think, say and be. I have what I need to love and be
loved, to be special in the world.

I am me and yet I am becoming me.