Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,994

06 Feb 2009, 1:49 pm

Perhaps you should sincerely and politely apologise for getting upset and quietly take your leave of that thread. Seems like the best possible solution right now.

But you can bet that other morons are going to come to the thread and talk crap and it's going to piss you off so bad you'll feel you just have to respond and defend yourself.. but for your own good please try to refrain.

It's not my first time being flamed ;)



CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,968

06 Feb 2009, 1:49 pm

My thoughts are..

A) That dude definitely was being an ass. Very condescending and that's just not cool.
B) I can see why you got upset.
C) Not report worthy though.



kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: Redmond, WA USA

06 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

Well, I think I'm going to ignore that rather rude mod and continue with the thread. If that mod should happen to make a post along the lines of his previous posts, then I'm going to report him.


_________________
2101729 Kalantir-Bar-Orc-Mal-Cha escaped the dungeon


girlyCOG
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 5 Feb 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 8
Location: Michigan

06 Feb 2009, 2:07 pm

Well, you were kind of hostile, but this is obviously an emotional subject for you. I don't know if you approached it the right way, but I can't really judge, because I've never been in your shoes.

And I don't see the harm in anyone suggesting you go and get a diagnosis. A diagnosis will give you a sense of closure and you won't need to constantly search WrongPlanet.net's forums to see if others have the same issues you do.

There are disorders that look incredibly like Asperger's. If it turns out you have something else or nothing at all, you'll be able to understand yourself a little bit better, too.

Just think about it.

I wish you luck.



RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 161

06 Feb 2009, 2:13 pm

It seemed to me that the mod was being unnecessarily sarcastic. That said, there are some people that wrongly self-diagnose themselves with various things and these people don't know you well. So, they applied that general skepticism of self-diagnosis to your specific case. Once they took that position in the thread, they weren't likely to back down, even if you post really convincing reasons for thinking you have AS.

I think that this is the post that came across as unnecessarily angry on your part:

Quote:

Now you're just being ignorant. gtfo of my thread. I dont care if you're a mod or not. You are contributing nothing of value to the thread. All you're doing is provoking me for no reason.


I've found that most people have a tendency to side AGAINST the first person to become noticeably angry, unless the situation is absolutely clear-cut (from a moral perspective). They used sarcasm, you showed anger. I suspect that this is one reason that NT have such a love of sarcasm -- it's a way of dismissing someone's arguments without sounding angry. It's kind of a "sneaky" way of expressing anger without looking like the "bad guy" to bystanders that may have only a passing interest in the argument to begin with.

There is also the fact that your argument was with one of the mods -- needless to say, he thinks he's right (otherwise he wouldn't be arguing with you). The mods have probably known each other a while and they're likely to stick together.

I think you have a right to be angry (I would be too), but I think you handled it in a way that made it very likely that many readers would blame you.



kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: Redmond, WA USA

06 Feb 2009, 2:13 pm

girlyCOG wrote:
And I don't see the harm in anyone suggesting you go and get a diagnosis.

He edited his post and added that after the fact. After I had already replied... If you look at my quote of his post in there, thats exactly what he had posted word for word, nothing missing. which was
Quote:
Hey, now. You have maybe Aspergers. That makes you totally unqualified to determine the emotional responses of others.


I dunno about you, but I think that's pretty damned disrespectful.


_________________
2101729 Kalantir-Bar-Orc-Mal-Cha escaped the dungeon


CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,968

06 Feb 2009, 2:16 pm

kalantir wrote:
girlyCOG wrote:
And I don't see the harm in anyone suggesting you go and get a diagnosis.

He edited his post and added that after the fact. After I had already replied... If you look at my quote of his post in there, thats exactly what he had posted word for word, nothing missing. which was
Quote:
Hey, now. You have maybe Aspergers. That makes you totally unqualified to determine the emotional responses of others.


I dunno about you, but I think that's pretty damned disrespectful.


Yeah it was what he wrote there that made me go "uh...couldn you be a little more condescending?" :roll:

I still vote that mod guy was being an ass.



mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,994

06 Feb 2009, 2:19 pm

RudolfsDad wrote:
I've found that most people have a tendency to side AGAINST the first person to become noticeably angry, unless the situation is absolutely clear-cut (from a moral perspective). They used sarcasm, you showed anger.


Precisely what I meant to say.



RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 161

06 Feb 2009, 2:30 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
I still vote that mod guy was being an ass.


For the record, I totally agree. He WAS being an ass. That comment about people with AS being "incapable" of judging another person's emotional reactions made me really mad.



kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Dec 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 712
Location: Redmond, WA USA

06 Feb 2009, 5:07 pm

Courtesy of a gamedev.net mod. I think I'm just going to stop using that forum. I'm going back to gamedev.org theres less people, but they are actually friendly.

kalantir wrote:
I posted a link to this thread in wrongplanet and most of the people there found that statement to be offensive as well.

Promit Moderator wrote:
Well, they can go to hell.


_________________
2101729 Kalantir-Bar-Orc-Mal-Cha escaped the dungeon


garyww
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,391
Location: Napa, California

06 Feb 2009, 5:15 pm

Like I said they all appear to brain dead over at that site.


_________________
I am one of those people who your mother used to warn you about.