Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2009, 3:40 am

M - me

T- my insanely well read and intelligent good friend.

M (08:20:00): why are people so willing to put their creative work, something so personal, in plain sight of everyone and actively ask them to prettymuch tear into it?
I could so easily tear into every piece of amateur poetry I see on the net, but I don't, for fear someone will do the same to my work
T (08:23:41): a theorist once said there is a sense that all art aspires to be holy art
primitive art is close to religion, and the bible stands even where its literary merits fail
atheists poke fun time and again at the stupid contradictions, the horrors, the sheer boringness, but the bible remains the bible on the spiritual investiture of billions
homer (some say) could write the Odyssey because he had no insecurity, he didn't think it was his work, he thought it was merely tapping into Truth
as through Plato a new type of aesthetic truth-seeking "religiousness" was possible, since even without God or gods one could believe in eidetic Truth or eidetic Beauty to be what irradiated their art with value
all that, of course, crumbles with modernity and again worse off in our time
M (08:28:00): The modern age is killing art? ._.
T (08:29:04): no, but it significantly dampened its aspirations to holiness
its this historical trend that makes art feel above all about the intimacy of the artist
the men, driven from holiness and spread in the cities of the accursed, retreat deeper and deeper to the only God solipsism recognizes - oneself
to have one's art denounced is equated to blasphemy against the worth of one's God and Self
a Self is a feeble thing to build an edifice of spirit upon

Discuss

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 3:55 am

Is that why I don't "get" art? I see a picture of a pretty sunset or ocean and say "that's pretty," then walk away. (I don't "get" the need for deities, either.)

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2009, 3:59 am

do you post your creative work on the internet? because the thread was kinda aimed at the people who did

EDIT: Also, I feel art ( by 'art' I mean any act of creativity) IS deeper than just surface value.