Do you have a younger than your age sounding voice?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2009, 9:43 pm

I do. I'm in my 40s, but I sound like a teenage boy.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:47 pm

I look, act and sound like a 14 year old. I'm just not one of the those giggling gossiping teenage girls.

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2009, 9:48 pm

Me too, but I don't think it's Aspie related. I identify as Androgyne / Bigender so it might have something to do with my gender identify natually.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

Absolutely! At 29, I often get asked if my mum is home on the phone. I also look much younger than I am, and I remember a thread on here about looking younger and a huge amount of Aspies said they look young. My Aspie uncle got into the movies as a child into his 20's.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:56 pm

ericc wrote:
I don't think it's Aspie related.

Ive heard from a few sources that people who were sexually abused as a child often times sound younger then they really are. I don't know if this is true or how that would really work... It's just something I've heard.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:53 pm

I sound like I am perhaps 20, even though I am in my 40s.

Lizzard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2009, 10:59 pm

YES. I hate the way my voice sounds, and I also look younger than I am. I'm almost 36, and I still get carded for cigarettes. Others always say I'm lucky, I'll be glad when I'm older and look "younger than my years". They don't realize people treat you with less respect when you look like a teenager; I don't know why my face looks so unmarked, I feel as though I've lived through a lot of pain and trauma in my life. Maybe my character still hasn't developed...sorry to get self-analytical, it's my biggest obsession, along with self-degradation.

"I live within the narrow shadows of my mind."

Gryphoness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2009, 2:29 am

Lizzard wrote:
YES. I hate the way my voice sounds, and I also look younger than I am. I'm almost 36, and I still get carded for cigarettes. Others always say I'm lucky, I'll be glad when I'm older and look "younger than my years". They don't realize people treat you with less respect when you look like a teenager.

I went to a restaurant a couple of years ago and got offered a kid's menu by a girl that was younger than me... I too hear from people all the time how I'll be glad I look younger than I am when I am older. But you're right, there is a lack of respect from people who assume you are a teenager.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 2:34 am

i have a few very distinct vocal presentations....
i can sound like a little kid wehn talking about personal or emotional issues and then switch to very articulate and even verbose language when discussing my special interest.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:41 am

I can sound like a jumbled up 6 year old.

Changed
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2009, 4:03 am

My voice is relatively deep, though people have said that I laugh like a hyena/giggle like a child. But nevermind.

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2009, 4:10 am

and I look it too. Strangers often call me sweetie and it makes me so mad. I'm not trying to look or sound young. But then we're not known for pretense, are we LOL?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:36 am

I don't know about now. But when I was younger, my voice sounded (sometimes a lot) older than I was.

blossoms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2009, 8:12 am

Yes, and I look younger than my age. I recently grew back my beard (just to look a bit older), because people can be superficial, and like many noted, treat you with little respect (I don't really want respect, just to be taken seriously and understood a bit). Oh well...it's the world we live in. :)

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 8:23 am

I am a big, tall guy, scaled up a bit from most other humans. So my tone of voice has always been deeper, and therefore perceived as older. However, the manner in which I speak has often been described as immature. If I am upset about something, it can sometimes even come off as a childish tantrum.

So to answer the question at hand... sort of.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 8:42 am

I don't really sound younger, but I have 3 voices I use regularly, and I don't really choose which one comes out. I have a deeper one that sounds kinda harsh, I have what I call my normal voice, and I have a more young/feminine voice that I hate using, although it could be fun over the phone.