Do the Draco Malfoys of the world cheer for Harry Potter??

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm

Have you ever wondered how bullies cheer for the hero, I mean I hear them talking about these stories and how exciting it was and I'm thinking but your worse then Draco :-/. Do you think that bullies can do that???

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2005, 8:05 pm

People never think themselves to be evil, only good. To acknowledge that they were Draco rather than Harry would be tantamount to admitting there was something wrong with them rather than you.

It's like someone who was beaten up by bullies who wanted his anti-bullying bracelet. (Which incidentally proves the futility of that kind of campaign...)

People don't want a date with destiny, they just want a date with a dentist. --- Michael Howard

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:09 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Have you ever wondered how bullies cheer for the hero, I mean I hear them talking about these stories and how exciting it was and I'm thinking but your worse then Draco :-/. Do you think that bullies can do that???

The answer is simple. Most "bullies" (and I mean true bullies, not poseurs or those socially experimenting) don't fancy themselves as such. In fact, most of them think that they are the 'weird kids' and the 'victims of bullying'.
Most of them feel that they can relate to Harry Potter out of all the main characters.
Let's take as an example a similar phenomena- the movie 'Napoleon Dynamite'. The hero of that movie was weird and unpopular. Yet the people I've known who felt that they could most relate to the character were- surprise, surprise- members of my school's popular crowd.
There's only one answer I can think up for that kind of thing: Everyone either wants to stand out or think they stand out. In otherwords, most people are near completely self-deluded.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:13 pm

What I do find -really- confusing is that a lot of people whom I think would probably be in Gryffindor, judging from their personalities, fancy that they would be good Slytherins. :?
This applies especially to Draco fangirls.

catwhowalksbyherself
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2005, 8:25 pm

Yupa wrote:
What I do find -really- confusing is that a lot of people whom I think would probably be in Gryffindor, judging from their personalities, fancy that they would be good Slytherins. :?
This applies especially to Draco fangirls.

The allure of evil!! There was a rumour that the person I fancy was a vampire...And I always think that naughty people are attractive. That said, though, Harry was almost put in Slytherin and begged to be put in Gryffindor with his mates. That carries quite an impact in the story - Harry is not by any stretch of the imagination a goody-two-shoes but made a conscious effort to choose the right path, a bit like Edmund in Lion/Witch/Wardrobe but with more initial success.

I went through a spell of siding with the White Witch in Narnia, if only to get away from what I perceived as the tyranny of the "perfect" people at school (and the rather suffocating goodness of the church). I came back to Narnia as an adult and to be honest find it hard to see why I was into the story at that sort of level. However I have been through what I see as a fall and redemption, so maybe I do think in that kind of a way.

People don't want a date with destiny, they just want a date with a dentist. --- Michael Howard

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:36 pm

catwhowalksbyherself wrote:
The allure of evil!!

Note that Draco refuses to kill Dumbledore, despite having been assigned to.
Note also that we feel sympathy for him when Harry nearly kills him.
Note, as a third item, that he was perfectly justified in punching Harry in the 6th book, since Harry had invaded his privacy.
Draco isn't really evil. He's just a petty spoiled brat with a mean tongue who was born into a Death Eater family.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 9:08 pm

I thought this topic was going to be about Draco and the Malfoys cheering Harry and the Potters at their concerts.

Anyway, I don't think a reader's own personal characteristics has as much to do with their enjoyment of a story as most people believe. People will find things to like in any well-written story (or movie or whatever), even if they don't exactly relate to it. The HP books in particular offer an escape from reality, not a mirror of it.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 10:11 pm

ghotistix wrote:
I thought this topic was going to be about Draco and the Malfoys cheering Harry and the Potters at their concerts.

I have heard of Harry and the Potters, but never Draco and the Malfoys! That is so funny!

'I gotta broomstick, it's better than your's...' :lol:

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 10:12 pm

I took some quizzes and I always got Slytherin. :D And I didnt fake it. AND DONT SPOIL THE BOOK.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 7:04 pm

Most bullies have probably been bullied by others in their life (yes, this includes the most popular kids - after all you more or less have to fight your way in using your social skills to get into the inner circle) so this actually isn't all that suprising.

ilikedragons, where is that quiz??? You better show me!! !

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 6:01 pm

Great topic question.

unfortunately it was answered correctly in the first few replies.

What else would be interresting is a poll. what people would think they'd be chosen be the hat huffelpuff, gryff, slth etc..

then someone mentioned that their is a place to be tested, i am assuming a site.

first you poll then you test then you re-poll.

does someone know how to do this? its beyond my capacity

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 8:05 pm

There are some people that like being bad and know they are.
Voldemort.
Sauron.
Samuel L Jackson :lol: