Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2009, 10:56 pm

I have a cause on Facebook called Understanding, Accepting, and Embracing Autism. Please check it out and join it if you'd like to.
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/190022? ... d=39415621

Positions:

1. People effected by autism are valued members of society.
2. People effected by autism deserve respect and love.
3. People effected by autism do not have a disease, they have a condition that means their brain is different than neurotypical people.
4. People effected by autism do not need to be "cured".
5. People effected by autism need support and understanding.

Description:
As a parent of two children effected by autism I am a part of the world of autism. I find it disturbing that so many children and adults are written off and literally tortured in an attempt to make them "appear normal" and "cure" their autism. This is wrong and it sickens me.

Autism needs to be handled with love and understanding. People with autism have sensory issues that can make functioning in our hectic everyday lives very challenging for them. It is a tremendous mistake to believe that autistic people are "in their own world" and unaware of what is going on around them, though to the uneducated observer this may seem the case. Some autistic people are nonverbal or have limited communication abilities. This does not mean in any way that they are not completely intelligent and aware, and that they do not have something to say or emotions. They do if you can understand how to listen.

Please watch this youtube video. It will open your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J...

Many of the Autism charities and organizations' goal is to raise money for genetic research so that autism can be identified before birth and thus allow families to have the fetus aborted. They are working to "cure" autism by making those who would be effected by it extinct. (ie Autism Speaks, I am VERY anti-Autism Speaks).

Other organizations pass themselves off as concerned doctors who promise uneducated and afraid parents that they can "cure" their child's autism. These doctors use untested, unproven, painful, frightening, and dangerous medications and procedures on children. Parents pay tremendous amounts of money out of pocket because no insurance will pay for these practices. These doctors and their organization promote themselves as autism experts. It’s true, they are doctors. Doctors like podiatrists, urologists, hematologists, and dermatologists who have attended a two day workshop to learn a business model that capitalizes on the hope, fear, and ignorance of desperate families. It's a crime. (ie DAN-Defeat Autism Now, VERY against that organization as well).

Autistic people are just that, they are people. They deserve love, understanding, and respect just like everyone else. Autistic people do not deserve to be tormented, tortured and eliminated.

Autistics such as these have already contributed so much to our society, what else might we all learn if we learn how to listen? :

Jane Austen, Ludwig van Beethoven, Alexander Graham Bell, Emily Dickinson, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Henry Ford, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Isaac Newton, Vincent Van Gogh, Jim Henson, Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Schulz, Woody Allen, Bob Dylan, Bobby Fischer, Bill Gates, Al Gore, John Nash… follow this link for more:

http://www.geocities.com/richard...

Imagine how different our world would be without THEM. Very different indeed.

If this sounds like it’s been a tirade it has. And it needs more voices. Please, add yours.

Please do not post any links or anything in support of Autism Speaks or DAN. Those organizations go against the message and spirit of this group and will be deleted if posted.

Sslaxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2009, 2:43 am

I would think a fair few people on here would agree with you. It might be worth considering spreading this a bit further than here (which is, after all, an ASD-related website and so already somewhat sympathetic to you).

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2009, 1:04 pm

Yeah that's a good idea. :D

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 6:56 pm

Christine_Rogers,
though am pro choice [of the cure idea],am agree with what are saying,and this especially:

Quote:
Some autistic people are nonverbal or have limited communication abilities. This does not mean in any way that they are not completely intelligent and aware, and that they do not have something to say or emotions. They do if you can understand how to listen.

am treated as completely subhuman by some staff when fully non verbal,profound auties who are like that full time have been suffering with mental illness because staff think they cant get MI as they aren't able to show it in the same way as the less profound.
it would be very good if people could follow those points have written,instead of making these stupid judgements.
A person with the most severe disabling autism is still a person,and deserves as much respect as anyone else,and the same goes for all the spectrum.

Am would have joined if still had a facebook account [only used it to talk to own NAS support staff but stopped using it].

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 11:40 pm

I joined...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 3:48 pm

I've joined, as well.

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2009, 7:09 pm

:D Cheers all glad to have you!

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 7:16 pm

My DD has an ASD and for me it is mental and some times physical torture. That is why when I got pregnant I had an abortion. I can't cope with it.

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2009, 1:53 pm

BellaDonna Please explain. Are you saying you feel that your daughter b/c of her ASD suffers mental and/or physical torture, or that because of her ASD YOU suffer mental and/or physical torture? I am confused.

Christine

GeorgeM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2009, 8:33 pm

I'll join once my school's block on Facebook during study hall ends at 9:30

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2009, 12:12 am

Yep, joined and got into an argument with the curebie (again) because of it :P

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2009, 12:24 am

orngjce223 wrote:

There's no point in arguing with curebies, you are never, ever gonna change their minds. Just like they're never gonna change the minds of those of us who are against, and who are offended by, the whole "curebie" movement.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2009, 12:25 am

Thanks so much for posting, I gladly joined. Here's hoping that many others will, too. Wonder what the fascists at FAAAS would think about it, lol.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2009, 12:28 am

BellaDonna wrote:
My DD has an ASD and for me it is mental and some times physical torture. That is why when I got pregnant I had an abortion. I can't cope with it.

And just how do you think your daughter feels having to deal with not only social and educational discrimination for something over which she has no control but with parents who feel the way they do about her? You are not the one who has to deal with having ASD, she is. And it's the lack of social understanding and acceptance for neurodiversity, and the increasing demands for neuroconformity, that are the real problems.

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2009, 2:51 am

orngjce223 wrote:

:-) Who, who, where? I wanna see! :twisted:

Christine_Rogers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2009, 2:53 am

westernwild wrote:
Thanks so much for posting, I gladly joined. Here's hoping that many others will, too. Wonder what the fascists at FAAAS would think about it, lol.

I had never heard of FAAAS before I read this post, omg! ****horror film stabbing music**** reeeek reeeeek reeeek reeeekkkk!! Geawds! Give me a break! I want to slap those people. :twisted: