Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2009, 10:45 am

garyww wrote:
Actually NT may just be another form of autism as nobody really understands what 'normal' or even 'typical' really means. In reality it is a pretty good bet that all humans are on a tremendously long spectrum of mind that stretches to infinity.

I've often thought about that. I came up with a line that I think of as half joke half serious:

What would you call someone with AS that had "social interaction" as a special interest?

NT

As I said, I'm only half serious when I say that, but it seems to me that there is a grain of truth to it.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 5:08 pm

RudolfsDad wrote:
What would you call someone with AS that had "social interaction" as a special interest? -- NT
I've been kinda, vaguely, groping-in-the-dark, moving in that direction for months.
Hubby. He seems sociable on the surface, but so rigid. Pedantic.
On some, practical issues, we make sense to each other instantly and there's little need to talk at all. On other issues, he gets that bug up his ass, the demons come out, and there's no communication at all. Try the same issue 20 years later, and he still has that same bug up his ass. There's nothing in-between.

And he re-lives all the traumatic moments of his childhood on a daily basis.
I won't deny that they were traumatic.

His special interest isn't really socializing for the joy of it. It seems more like networking. Building tribal alliances, for protection and mutual support. Like it's nothing personal. He yells at the football game when everyone else yells, laughs when everyone else laughs, but I don't buy it anymore.

I don't know that any of this is true. Just thinking out loud and trying to figure out why he's such a basket case.