Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2005, 3:32 pm

I need help. You see, when I was in high school, I did lots of extra-special stuff that got me lots of attention. I did the morning announcements, I won lots of awards, and I participated in pep rallies.

Before all this happened, I got teased a lot, I got yelled at for stuff I did not even realize I was doing, and instead of participating in stuff, I usually got stuck sitting in the audience.

Now here I am in college, and there is nothing to do except for schoolwork and other mundane stuff. There is no more morning announcements, hardly any more awards to win, and all this leads to very scarce publicity. :cry:

Is there anything I can do to get more attention from lots of people? I can't participate in theatre because then I'd have to memorize lines, and that would get to be very stressful for me.
Don't even dream about making me go on American Idol. Every time I sing, my family covers their ears. But there has got to be something for me to do that will get me more publicity. Any ideas?

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Dec 2005, 3:40 pm

Memorizing lines isn't really as hard as it seems. Anyway, if you forget a line, the only people who know that you did would be people in the play since the audience has never seen it.

I also would like to get more publicity.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 3:41 pm

You should start some very popular and fascinating campus club. :D :D :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 3:48 pm

Don't be so hasty in ruling out American Idol

That one kid had a gold record from his flop.

You claim to want publicity. Then thats what you'll get.

I see a rendition of the scene in the movie Flash Dance That ultra erotica classic with the water.

Just learn the lines to the song

Maniac and have a friend go with you with a pitcher of water.

Borrow Simons chair as your prop.

If you get a gold record out of it, my artistic licensing pay can come to this web-site, i don't need the money, nor want the acclaim.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 4:30 pm

There are lots of things you can do.

You just need to do lots of extracurricular things, like join clubs, maybe be an RA, be an orientation advisor, etc etc. Lots of oppertunities if you know how to find them.

Good luck.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 7:09 pm

How do you think you'll get some if you're flaunting yourself? I think it's the shy ones who tend to succeed the most in life.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 7:38 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
How do you think you'll get some if you're flaunting yourself? I think it's the shy ones who tend to succeed the most in life.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. ;)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 8:31 pm

Do you think you're a showperson, but you're too afraid you may flaunt it and you need not be shy?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 9:01 pm

To flaunt means to show something for a purpose, whether it be good or bad.

Being your feelings, you sounded very upset. It sounds like you seem to be flaunting for a bad reason. What you want is for more people to know you. By your words, I hate to tell you, but I don't think you're going to get it. Thank you for trying to open up to us, though. I was honestly in shock when I read this thread.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 2:08 am

You could run for mayor or have some form of political job. That would probably get you lots of publicity.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 7:11 pm

Stereokid wrote:
I need help. You see, when I was in high school, I did lots of extra-special stuff that got me lots of attention. I did the morning announcements, I won lots of awards, and I participated in pep rallies.

Now here I am in college, and there is nothing to do except for schoolwork and other mundane stuff. There is no more morning announcements, hardly any more awards to win, and all this leads to very scarce publicity. :cry:

WELCOME TO REAL LIFE.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 1:03 am

Have you reconsidered American Idol, yet?

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2005, 1:38 am

Set yourself on fire :P

Kidding. However, a web site is an effective way. :D

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2006, 7:03 pm

Okaaaaayyyyyyyy, guys. Looks like I may have to post a revised version of my thread here. The reason why I want to do something I can get recognition for is because I have a younger NT sister who has gotten enough publicity. In fact, she takes dance, and then gets to perform in competitions and recitals once or twice a year. She also got picked to sing at a carnival one time when I was in seventh grade. Why does all the good stuff always happen to her?! It's so unfair!

In addition to this, when my family and I used to go to this little league baseball game every summer, before the game, I would see kids younger than or the same age as me helping out on the field. I always thought to myself," I want to do that. Why can't I do that?!"

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Jan 2006, 7:38 pm

Stereokid wrote:
Okaaaaayyyyyyyy, guys. Looks like I may have to post a revised version of my thread here. The reason why I want to do something I can get recognition for is because I have a younger NT sister who has gotten enough publicity. In fact, she takes dance, and then gets to perform in competitions and recitals once or twice a year. She also got picked to sing at a carnival one time when I was in seventh grade. Why does all the good stuff always happen to her?! It's so unfair!

In addition to this, when my family and I used to go to this little league baseball game every summer, before the game, I would see kids younger than or the same age as me helping out on the field. I always thought to myself," I want to do that. Why can't I do that?!"

You had good stuff happen to you in high school! the good stuff doesn't always happen to her. Anyway, sometimes the best things happen when you aren't even expecting them.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2006, 9:00 pm

I'm in college and when I first went I didn't do a whole lot, but as I got used to college I got involved with things. Now, I am part of the Student Activities Council, a branch of Student Government Association, and we promote student activities on campus and whatnot. Also, I am part of my dorm's hall council and we work on getting more events and programs run through the dorm,etc. That's what I'm doing to put myself out there. It's kind of fun, being apart of the campus.