Are you unable to hold on to your words?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 5:01 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
marshall wrote:
Sora wrote:
For one, I blurt out answers long before the other is finished and I find it to be real hard to wait.

:lol: I used to do this with my parents, only I'd blurt something out before they even asked. I'd say "yes dad, I'll mow the lawn" right after he inhaled but before he'd even spoken a word. I'd try to preemptively guess what he was going to ask before he'd even said it. He didn't take it well.

I also get impatient when people take too long to say something. I think I might have a form of ADD but without the hyperactivity as I'm pretty introverted.

I agree, my grandma has this REALLY annoying habit of taking about three hours to say one sentence. You always know exactly what she's going to say, but politeness means you have to stand and wait for her to get it all out. The rest of my family are annoyed by it too, not just me.

LOL! Your grandma sounds like my MIL. She'll say a sentence, and then immediately, without a pause, say it AGAIN in a slightly different way, and then AGAIN. The only way you can participate it a conversation with her is to interrupt. And while you are talking, she nods her head, but she's not listening, because she's waiting for a moment to butt in and restate that same sentence again.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 6:07 pm

Several have mentioned writing as form of release, however :lol:

Allow me to interject a phrase, brain race

My flow of thought was so rapid, even I couldn't keep up with me in the written.

Also what others have said when around other people, when people are dogging along. I'll finish their thoughts for them. Very rude to them and it is, but it gets better. I know where their flow is going to lead them and I jump ahead of them and speak what they're going to say and they accuse me of reading minds. I don't always get it right. They don't remember when I'm wrong, but it startles them so much when I'm right, they remember it. Keeps them a step or two back when talking to me, no seriously, they physically keep a greater distance then they normally would to others. And that is so much more comfortable in a crowd. Learning body language was such a huge step for me and I started very very young. I was on the fringes so much I started watching them because I was bored in a crowd.

There are good books out on it now and a good therapist can actually teach it to you. For an example, if you're talking to someone and they keep repeatedly nodding their head up and down in agreement, they aren't listening to you anymore. I had one therapist that started talking about body language and i got so damned bored, I did it to my wife, exactly what he was talking about and I said did you see what she just did? All I did was slowly in very relaxed manner was move my can of soda closer and closer towards her, she didn't consciously know her body space had been invaded, but she deliberately , but unconsciously, leaned her body away from me. It gives me space. he was startled when I pointed it out to him, he no longer gave me lessons in body language either. I had finished his long drawn out speech for him. On the other hand I was so comfortable with one therapist, I just out and out said I read body language and she said, "good, we don't have to do that part then". But she still used it on me and i was very conscious when i used it on her, she was the best therapist I ever had. It can be learned and will give you something to do and it actually can keep you focused on where the hell they're going to eventually get to and you are more less likely to let the brain race take you to another shiny.

Being aware of what your own body language is saying, unconsciously, to others takes practice. I started to obsess on it when I discovered it to begin with. Later I found books on it and probably wouldn't have but one made the top of the heap on the NY Times book list and it created a bit of a stir for a while. And yes I did read parts of it and found more that I didn't know.

I just did it, damn it, brain race. Took the thread probably off track and didn't really mean to. But in a way I suppose I didn't so I'll post this anyway.

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 9:13 pm

I'm not sure, but I have no difficulty in holding on to anger, even when it's been 5 months since the incident.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 12:30 am

I guess it doesn't occur to me like that. When someone rambles on too long, I don't want to say anything for fear the person will continue to ramble on endlessly.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 12:36 am

Maditude wrote:
I guess it doesn't occur to me like that. When someone rambles on too long, I don't want to say anything for fear the person will continue to ramble on endlessly.

The assumption was that you have something you want to say but lose the opportunity to say it because other people are rambling. If I don't want to talk and people are rambling I just ignore.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 12:44 am

I do want to talk, but if the other person keeps talking, I don't want to talk to that person anymore.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 2:08 am

I have trouble or near find it impossible to keep my mouth shut when I lose my temper.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 3:33 am

This happens to me very often, and I don't like it. I hate it when it happens, and the worst part is remembering that I had something to say. And then When I finally do remember, it is too late.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2009, 6:32 am

gosh, totally! i am constantly surprised by the random thngs which turn out to be a.s related.

thought this was just poor memory- though infact, thats a.s anyway (short term).

when i forget things, i often come out with a SIMILAR but different comment ive thought to myself before, which sounds even more strupid when i say it- which is nervousness, too, i think. and even in delivering this extract from a previous train of though individual words will dissapear from my brain- i know exactly what you mean. it has to come out in an instant, or it gets lost.

i agree with writing things down. i live alone, dont work, so have noone to speak to. i started writing a 'diary' about 6 years ago which is excellent; it's more train-of-consciousness rubbish- about how i have lots of laundry to do, but really dont want to, and there is nothing to watch on tv, and want to eat a cake, rather than a resume of what ive done that day, and my thoughts on the middle east etc.
its been immenly helpful in just offloading all the rubbish which flows through my head. i think this helps, but i have no idea why.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 12:41 pm

misslottie wrote:
i agree with writing things down. i live alone, dont work, so have noone to speak to. i started writing a 'diary' about 6 years ago which is excellent; it's more train-of-consciousness rubbish- about how i have lots of laundry to do, but really dont want to, and there is nothing to watch on tv, and want to eat a cake, rather than a resume of what ive done that day, and my thoughts on the middle east etc.
its been immenly helpful in just offloading all the rubbish which flows through my head. i think this helps, but i have no idea why.

I've tried doing just that but even writing is hard for me. I don't seem to be able to formulate sentences fast enough to keep up with my thoughts. My thoughts are often very nonlinear and full of intuitive leaps that I can't even figure out how to express in words. Sometimes it's like I think the words are all there in my head but then when I actually attempt to write the thought down I realize there are inexpressible gaps.

I also sometimes have the weirdest things going through my head when I daydream. Things that I'm certain would not make sense to anyone else but somehow feel poignant to me. Stuff that's so weird I almost feel embarrassed to write it down.