Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 11:12 pm

One year to go topic

Canada has never won gold on Canadian soil. This time it will be different. Lots of winter events , an area where we excel. I like the winter sports--fast moving skiing, skating, skeleton, bobsleds.

Let us hope the economy is much improved then. Something to look forward to.

The countdown has begun! :D :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

12 Feb 2009, 11:16 pm

My gay uncles live there.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 5:20 am

coolie, i like watching the winter games.

Neuro-typical
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2009, 11:09 am

I'm glad I don't live in B.C.

You do realize that every single region that has ever hosted the Olympics has lost money??

And that "our" mascots look like the Beijing mascots?

And that Vancouver can hardly be referred to as the heart of winter sport??

But yes, it's sort of cool that Canada is hosting. :?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 12:31 pm

Neuro-typical wrote:
I'm glad I don't live in B.C.

You do realize that every single region that has ever hosted the Olympics has lost money??

And that "our" mascots look like the Beijing mascots?

And that Vancouver can hardly be referred to as the heart of winter sport??

But yes, it's sort of cool that Canada is hosting. :?

Chosen in 2003 topic

Vancouver won the 2010 Olympics "lottery." There is a skiing industry at Whistler.

The mascots are recycled, in keeping with the recession! :lol:

Losing money is an Olympic problem. Well, Vancouver has just under a year to minimize this.

I think it is icy cool that Canada is getting this. It has been a while since Calgary in 1988.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Neuro-typical
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2009, 3:00 pm

sartresue wrote:

Vancouver won the 2010 Olympics "lottery." There is a skiing industry at Whistler.

The mascots are recycled, in keeping with the recession! :lol:

Didn't think of the recession angle. I guess, because they're recycled, you can also claim that the mascots are in keeping with Vancouver (and Whistler's) crunchy granola greenie left-coastie vibe :wink:

I've been to Whistler, skiing. Wouldn't go these days though, too many rich people. :P

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 3:28 pm

There is also skiing on the North Shore (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour). And snowshoeing, same places, for gentler souls. Because of the mountains, you can go skiing by day and hang out by the palm trees at English Beach the same evening .

Vancouver may not have the same winter sports caché as Switzerland, but it is a very keen outdoors place. Skiing, snowshoeing in winter, hiking year round (though it's hard to find places to hike without snow in winter - snowline is still below 400m right now because of the three week snowdump we had over Christmas). Lots and lots and lots of wilderness within striking distance of bus stops. Lots and lots of outdoor sports stores on Broadway. The original home of Mountain Equipment Coop.

I sure wish I were living somewhere else for the games, though. I've been wishing it since Vancouver got the games in whatever that year was. Although I'm almost resigned to it now, and if I'm gonna be here, I gotta get in good with my brother from Toronto, who has tix to six events.

Squatchi is pretty cute, too, even if it looks nothing like a real animal. I may get me one of those while they're still around.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 8:54 pm

Neuro-typical wrote:

Calgary '88, I think, was the most successful Olympics. I don't know if that means that they were either in the black or red.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 11:21 pm

I don't think they cared. The mayor, Ralph Klein, said that the bars could stay open as late as they liked, and it turned into one big party. A friend of a friend took up with some European ski team members after they finished competing. I enjoyed the fun from the safety of Edmonton.

And then there was the Jamaican bobsled team and Eddie the Eagle Fisher. Compete with that one!

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 11:41 pm

True.

But anyways, I'm hoping Vancouver-Whistler Olympics is a success. If it does, it might open up the option of Edmonton-Jasper Olympics in 2030-2050ish.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog