Who sings guitar solos? Tap song beats?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SpatiallyVisual
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2009, 11:57 pm

I've gotta be alone for this one (that's not a problem, hehe)

If I'm in listening to some rock and roll, sometimes I lip sync guitar solos. I also have to keep time by tapping the song. The right hand always taps faster and consistant (1/16th notes) but the left hand does half speed or quarter speed of the right (ex. 1/8th notes / quarter notes). Must look pretty ridic, LOL. I'll try and post a video.

Any other tappers or mouth soloists?

..sv..

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 10:21 pm

don't sing guitar solos, I'm too busy trying to learn them (and failing...;)

Drumming I used to do; had a Ludwig set (acoustic) and a Frankenstein set (electric)...;)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 2:36 am

My brother and I both do the drumming thing. I think we're pretty good at it.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 3:36 am

ummmm, yeah...
your behavior doesn't sound at all strange to me.

I tap out songs, even when there is none there. Constant assortments of triplets, and fast 1/16th notes, thrown together in a never-ending cycle of rhythm.

And singing guitar solos is also something I just do. Hendrix-style stuff... matching voice to guitar while playing. (He would also sing along with his own solos).

The segment "5:05-5:45" of this song is a good example:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MarUEKdPs[/youtube]

SpatiallyVisual
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2009, 6:17 pm

Good stuff! We'd have to do a Tap-Out contest, if yall weren't 2000 miles away. Image

How about this one. This ones gotta look a bit peculiar. I sometimes do the tapping thing, but with my teeth. My lower jaw sort of does a side to side motion, and each tooth has a different note, accompanied by a different facial expression. The teeth in the left of my mouth are lower notes and the right side are higher notes. I guess it's the vibrations that allows me to hear notes. Anyone else? Just me? he he

peace
frank

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvtIS2YGVI[/youtube]

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 10:11 pm

I really understand what you're saying.

When I get into a song, it evokes a whole-body response, as if my body itself becomes an instrument. Certain notes and rhythms are expressed through movement of hands and fingers and arms, others through the gestures of the face and mouth, and still others through the posture and alignment of my legs and back. I guess I've always done this, and not thought much of it... unless someone sees me doing it and makes a comment.

I've always had plenty of pseudo-scientific theories about resonance between sound frequencies and physical matter. Something akin to how a high-pitched note can break a glass, but extending into the realms of psychological, physiological and even basic cellular functions in living organisms, as well as non-living matter... sound affecting the internal composition of things. Like the repetition of mantras to achieve particular mental-spiritual states, or the "Weirding Modules" from the movie Dune, which used particular sounds to destroy things.

Got off on a tangent there. Perhaps I'll turn it into a separate thread.

Anyways, I'd be all for a tapping contest. And I dig the Hendrix, man! :)