Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm

I have a similar problem but not nearly to the same extent and I wonder if it can even be called the same thing.

The only time I ever mix up dreams with waking life is when I dream I'm in the kitchen and there is a food I like in the cupboard, fridge, or on top of the cereal cupboard. It's usually junk food.

I wake up and I remember that mom or dad recently bought some more junk food and I make my way downstairs expecting to find it. I look where I remember seeing it and to my disappointment nothing's there. Then I realize that there was never any food there. I dreamt the whole thing.

Last time it was Jois Louis. Everything else is easy for me to discern but this one type of dream throws me off every time I have it.

I also have a false memory that may have originally come from a dream but I'm not sure. It could've originated with my imagination or from something I saw on TV when I was a kid.

The thing is that we don't usually question our memories. If we remember it happening it must of happened. That's why, for a little while, in one instance, I believed something absurd. I believed that when I was younger I had a horn growing out of my head and my mom ripped it out of me just because I remembered it.

If I remember it it must have happened right, wrong? It wasn't until I was thinking about telling someone about the experience that I looked at how I would have sounded and realized the whole thing was absurd. That's when I realized it was a false memory.

I'm wondering if that memory of having a horn growing out of my head was a result of confusing dreams with waking life.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm

Yes, I do have this problem, where I can't distinguish between dreams and reality. I thought it was just me! I think it's more prevalent when I'm stressed and life is busy. I've been on uni holidays for the past month and a half and can't think of any recent examples.