Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2009, 11:46 am

has anyone seen a film from the cube trilogy
cube, hypercube or cube zero
ive seen all and they are amazing
if anyones seen it what did u think of it?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 6:46 pm

Yeah, my wife rented Cube because it has David Hewlitt in it. Pretty messed up flick.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 8:19 pm

I found the end of Cube Zero incredibly offensive (and it wasn't very good to begin with), but I liked the first two.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 8:23 am

yeah I quite liked it, especially the first part. although I did guess straight away that the disabled guy was going to be the only survivor :p that's how I'd have made it too!

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 10:50 am

I saw Hypercube and it has an honored place on my list of movies I wish I'd never seen. Seeing as how I could never find any real reason for what was done and no good explanation of how, and that the only slim explanation of either was the old government conspiracy to cover up things angle, well... None of it came close to explaining or justifying the utterly inhuman, grotesque things done to the victims. I've had nightmares that were less cold, silent, isolated and relentless than their wanderings and eventually deaths, and I don't think their success outdoing my nightmares is really enough to justify a movie that includes these events, even in a horror movie.

From what I've seen of recent movies, a lot of people have convinced themselves that a good scare flick can be made by having terrible things happen to people and not telling the audience how or why. As has been pointed out recently on this forum, even Hitchcock was guilty of this in the past, with "The Birds". Yes, you can horrify the people, keeping them hanging, hold their attention as they wait to see what dreadful person has done this and why... but if you don't pay up at the end, well, I don't know... some filmmakers seem happy to have left their audience feeling angry and uneasy. And I still say Hypercube was just too sick to be justified, even in the end, if it had been. But there are worse out there, which I have not and will not see... and I guess I just miss the old suspense flicks, like "Wait Until Dark" and "Rear Window". Things happened to people, but you didn't find everyone in the movie got chopped up in one way or another. Just a couple of them. :wink:

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 3:09 pm

This is my stupid reason for not liking Cube 2:

They're all supposed to be Americans, yet none of them have any kind of an American accent. One of them is Welsh for f***s sakes. I really hate bad fake accents in movies. I especially hate Canadian actors playing Americans. It's just one of my "buttons". Like when it's the government conspiracy...

Which government? Canada? Like that's really something Canada would really do... :roll:

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 4:42 pm

MizLiz wrote:
This is my stupid reason for not liking Cube 2:

They're all supposed to be Americans, yet none of them have any kind of an American accent. One of them is Welsh for f**** sakes. I really hate bad fake accents in movies. I especially hate Canadian actors playing Americans. It's just one of my "buttons". Like when it's the government conspiracy...

Which government? Canada? Like that's really something Canada would really do... :roll:

To be fair to Canadian films, Hollywood isn't exactly spot on at getting the accents right either. Even films filmed where they are set, with actors from that area, get it horribly wrong. Consider Josh Hartnett in that hairdressing film, made in yorkshire. No accent has ever been more mangled.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:36 am

I just don't see why the can't have the characters be Canadian.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:40 am

MizLiz wrote:
I just don't see why the can't have the characters be Canadian.

Suspension of disbelief. As you yourself said, nobody would buy the canadians doing that sort of thing.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 3:29 pm

I'm really sensitive about the accents in films thingy as well (Dancer in the Dark was the worst film ever when it came to accents... a total fail), but thankfully I can't tell Canadian accent from American accent. I'm quite astonished that it's even possible =p

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 8:42 pm

That's my problem... being incredibly sensitive to accents in films/TV. There are some that are just completely unwatchable unless I hit mute + subtitle.

Good point about Canada never doing that. In the first one, they never said that the characters were American (and based on Leaven's use of "zed" instead of "zee" when explaining something mathematical, I assumed that at least SHE was Canadian), but kind of implied it with Holloway's government conspiracy rants so I was a bit more forgiving for those bad accents.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 11:11 am

I did not understand this film when I first watched it...maybe I should watch it again.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 6:49 pm

I love all the Cube movies! Caught the first one on tv when I was too young to be watching it, but I loved it anyway and I watched it every time it was on after that.