To tell; to explain; ...WTF?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 2:20 pm

I have been dating my boyfriend (bf) for almost 7 years and I've been diagnosed with NLD/mild Asperger's. I really want to tell him about it; especially since I have a bit of trouble controlling facial expression (i.e- I giggle/laugh at inappropriate moments) and I think I upset my bf because I giggled a bit when his hospitalized bro had a meltdown. I feel bad for possibly upsetting him but I feel nervous at the thought of explaining my diagnosis to him. What do you guys think?

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 2:44 pm

Tell him. If your behavior seems to contribute to strain in the relationship, it would help to explain it by telling him. That way, he can seperate confusion of facial expressions or interactions from YOU, in other words, he won't have to wonder whether to take it personally, as I am sure he is confused about right now. If you've been together so long despite the challenges of AS, I am sure that telling him about the AS will make the relatinoship better! He is not going to leave now becuase you told him, but if you don't tell him, it's possible that may happen down the road because he gets confused.

I understand your feeling awkward about talking about it. That's natural right now, becuase you only discovered it recently. Give yourself some time to get used to the idea of having AS before telling him, but with the definite goal of telling him by a certain time. That way, you will be preparing yourself to be open about it as you come to terms with it yourself. Rather than trying to come to terms with it and feeling like you can just keep hiding it forever.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 3:37 pm

If he's known you all this time. If you tall him, all you're doing is giving him a 'name' to the special 'craziness' he cares about. Nothing about you has actually changed.