Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Aug 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,255

16 Feb 2009, 7:13 pm

claire333 wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:
I was asking about a real ethical problem.
I could have sworn you were posing a hypothetical question. :wink: But anyway, it is not hypothetical at all. Not only is it legal, it is done all the time. There are several non-profit organizations who provide free cosmedic surgery for infants and children with facial deformaties. Why do you consider your hypothetical situation an ethical 'problem'?



Read my post I never said anything about deformities all I asked was if a parent didn't like their child's nose is it legal for them to have cosmetic surgery done on it, I guess I wasn't clear but you people shouldn't have assumed.



claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,658

16 Feb 2009, 7:33 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
Read my post I never said anything about deformities all I asked was if a parent didn't like their child's nose is it legal for them to have cosmetic surgery done on it, I guess I wasn't clear but you people shouldn't have assumed.
Sorry, the only reason I could think of a parent not liking their baby's nose enough to risk the child's life with surgery would be in the case of deformity. So then you do not find it an ethical problem for parents to impose cosmetic surgery on their children in the case of deformity? Since I seem to be on the wrong track...maybe you could just tell me what you are getting at, then.



philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Aug 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,255

16 Feb 2009, 8:07 pm

claire333 wrote:
philosopherBoi wrote:
Read my post I never said anything about deformities all I asked was if a parent didn't like their child's nose is it legal for them to have cosmetic surgery done on it, I guess I wasn't clear but you people shouldn't have assumed.
Sorry, the only reason I could think of a parent not liking their baby's nose enough to risk the child's life with surgery would be in the case of deformity. So then you do not find it an ethical problem for parents to impose cosmetic surgery on their children in the case of deformity? Since I seem to be on the wrong track...maybe you could just tell me what you are getting at, then.



Sorry I am not going to tell you that, because I am wanting to see people's answers and if I give my real motives away for this thread then it will spoil everything. Anyways isn't it fun to wait and see what the big surprise will be?? I think it is and that is the other reason I won't spoil it for you or anyone else.



claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,658

16 Feb 2009, 8:25 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
Sorry I am not going to tell you that, because I am wanting to see people's answers and if I give my real motives away for this thread then it will spoil everything. Anyways isn't it fun to wait and see what the big surprise will be?? I think it is and that is the other reason I won't spoil it for you or anyone else.
:D Fair enough. I will wait with anticipation, but in exchange...you are not allowed to tell me I cannot or should not make assumptions. I am left with no other choice

I like the points that Gromit made. Right and wrong are subjective and often determined by a particular society. This is also true of what is legal. Many people can think of something that is legal that they do not think is right, or illegal that they do not think is wrong. What is legal here is not legal there...and so on, and so on...maybe you could put more detail into the hypothetical situation to aid in better understanding it, and clarify if you are asking a legal or ethical question.



slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,430
Location: Ontario, Canada

16 Feb 2009, 11:02 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Sand wrote:
Of course, if nose jobs on babies become illegal, circumcision might require a baby to sign a document of consent.


AH AH all you have to is say that it is for religious reasons and you can get away with anything


Not quite. "Religious reasons" permits a lot, but not everything. If you burned your house down for religious reasons, you'd still be charged with arson.

But seriously, separation of church/state is a good thing. I don't want the law to cater to any one religion.



Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 554
Location: Oblivion

17 Feb 2009, 2:24 am

Parents do the darnedest things to their kids for the sake of saving them from any foreseeable hardships they may encounter.

Did you happen to inherit your grandad’s huge honker? Well, mommy, daddy and the friendly neighborhood plastic surgeon will have to fix you right up so the other kids don’t pick on you incessantly. [/sarcasm]

Plastic surgery performed on anyone under the age of 18 should be illegal. Corrective surgery is a whole other story. In other words…

Deformity or severe injury repair - yes

You’ve inherited Grandad’s huge honker (or any other odd part that may earn you ridicule from you peers) - hell no