Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2009, 11:44 am

I don't know what it is, but I find that everytime I go out, people always stare, and it's usually always girls, rarely guys.

I don't have anything that really sticks out about me. I'm kind of plain and blend in. I don't dress wacky or have weird colours in my hair or anything like that. I don't have an unusual walk, but yet, girls always stare at me. Usually teenagers or women in their early 20s. I've also noticed that it's usually a particular type of girl that looks at me. Usually the ones with died hair, make-up, very fashionable usually in groups of 2-4. I don't wear makeup or dress highly fashinable, but I always look presentable to go out and I buy clothes from typical stores that most teens/young women do, so it's not like I wear clown suits to go out in.

I can be doing anything or nothing and they still stare. If I'm shopping, they stare, if I'm crossing a road, they stare, if I'm sitting on a bench, they stare. I don't get it. If I'm on my own they stare, if I'm with someone they stare. When I look at them, they look away.

My AS is very mild. Whenever I mention it to people they're always surprised telling me they'd never have noticed or that I "look normal". Some people don't even believe I have it, so I don't think people who've never met me can guess I have AS or that I'm a little weird just by a few seconds of looking at me. What makes them even stare in the first place? Maybe if I was doing something to catch their attention, sure, but I just go about my business like everyone else. I've asked people if I do anything weird when I'm walking and they always say no, so I don't get it.

Does anyone else get this? Any idea why or what they stare at?

Calvin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2009, 11:54 am

Some people stare at me everyday. They like me but I will never let them ruin my life.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 11:56 am

Annie, I think the people who stare at you like that are superficial. They resent that you haven't conformed to a false sense of beauty.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 12:02 pm

Yes people do stare at me quite a lot and i just carry on walking as im not really bother i just get on with it.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2009, 12:11 pm

Do you look like one of those people that everyone is sure they know? Maybe they are trying to "place" you. Or maybe you are more attractive than you give credit to?

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2009, 12:15 pm

Maditude wrote:
Annie, I think the people who stare at you like that are superficial. They resent that you haven't conformed to a false sense of beauty.

I think you might be right. That would explain why it's usually always the fashion conscious girls who do it.

Detren wrote:
Do you look like one of those people that everyone is sure they know? Maybe they are trying to "place" you. Or maybe you are more attractive than you give credit to?

That's a good thought, Detren, I never thought of that, you could be right. I am kind of plain, like I said so maybe I do have one of those faces that makes people go "do I know her?" and then when I look at them, they realise that they don't.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2009, 12:25 pm

People do stare, no idea why. I just try not to look at other people, and if I notice someone is staring at me I just stare above their head not at them, above their head :P

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2009, 1:26 pm

I've been thinking about why people stare at me, this has been going on for several years. I can always tell when someone is looking at me and it's impossible for me to ignore that.
The answer is that we are over sensitive to movement, sights, sounds and touch.
This is called sensory integration diysfunction. When they look at you they probably don't mean to make you uncomfortable, it's just the way you perceive it that affects you.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 4:02 pm

Everyone stares at em evilly. Mom said its jsut ym imagination.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 4:06 pm

The way I can act in public, I think sometimes people do stare at me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 4:07 pm

RandomKid, it most likely isn't. I get stared at *ALL* the time. Every time I go out. When I'm with my boyfriend, the looks get doubled.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2009, 4:20 pm

yes..all the freakin time and it drives me nuts.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 5:40 pm

Yes, people stare and talk about my thoughts all the time. It is because I think weird things because of the thought insertion. Sometimes I move in weird ways in the stores or outside because I'm trying to avoid a laser satellite that might shoot me (the gov threatens me with that all the time).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 5:56 pm

Yes, i get stared at all the time. When teenagers stare, they turn and talk to their friends then the friends stare. I wonder what they were talking about?

Little kids stare at me too.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 6:10 pm

Yep I get stared at big time and I used to think you know people accuse me of being rude from time to time but do I stare at them like this? That's one thing I don't do: stare. I am a non starer. People stare and the only time it annoys me is when they smirk. I hate the smirk. Without the smirk it's easy to overlook.
What I do is smile. Smiling helps a lot. When I'm in a morose mood I won't look at anyone, I look the opposite direction and tune them out completely so I don't notice if they stare but when I am in a decent mood and I see them looking I smile at them.
If you smile at someone most of the time they smile back. Not always.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 6:13 pm

I mostly get men and older teenage boys staring at me. (Particularly black males.)

My fiancé and my mother-in-law actually notice alot more stares directed towards me than I am able to notice.
They say it's because I am physically attractive, but I don't really find myself attractive enough to turn heads.

When I am with my fiancé, I get even more stares.

I don't wear revealing clothes, and I usually do not wear makeup. Lately, I have been dressing very casually, as in slightly baggy jeans and an oversized t-shirt. My hair is usually up in a bun, and I usually also wear a cloche hat.

I do kinda walk weird, though. I walk pigeon-toed (toes pointed inward) and my hands are usually in my pockets or clasped together in front of me, and held to my stomach. I hardly ever swing my arms. If my hands are not clasped, they just hang limply to my sides.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/